Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-25-2011, 07:55 PM   #71 
Micho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakura8 View Post
They ARE fast! Even my bigger pandas are fast but probably nowhere near as speedy as your guys. Once when I had to remove mine from my tank, I basically had to tear the tank apart to get them. I musta chased those things all over that tank with the net for an hour . . . *shudders at the memory*

Most of the time I can find my tetras but first thing in the morning, they're really pale and kinda sleepy I guess. That's when I usually come up short on the head count for some reason.
Yeah these guys freak me out sometimes because they move so fast, I'll be like "What was that?!" These guys are so annoying, when I tried to catch them with my net they would escape because they're so small they can creep through tiny holes. >: Unlike with Jake one swift swoop and I got him! But yeah hopefully I'm not taking them out with I do water changes, I'll have to slowly add in water and stuff. So I don't disrupt them, along with the root tabs in my gravel. . .

Yeah my Cories are usually at the bottom of the tank, they'll swim in like a single location, it's like fidgeting for them or something? Then they'll just chill together in one spot. I've actually grown quite fond of these little buggers, I want more of them now! xD

Quote:
Originally Posted by aurasoulful View Post
Sorry you can't buy online. Where do you get your plants and livestock? Get Seachem root tabs. I have a soiled tank, but I put in a couple anyway to my swords. I haven't had any clouding or anything. Maybe I was just lucky. Just push them slowly into the substrate with your finger. What happened to your tabs and what brand were they?
Yeah no buying online, makes me wanna qq. I get my plants and fish from my PFS, they're actually a pretty good store that have knowledgeable staff and take good care of their fish. Their plants are a bit pricey, but I've had no problems with them. They actually select the healthiest looking plants for you unlike my LPS where they just grab the closest thing they can reach. But their fish is cheap, pygmy cories are like $2.99? The two swords I got were from PetSmart, only plants there that weren't infested with algae or some sort of weird green stuff. . .

I've just planted the rest of my root tabs and made myself a sticky note to not shift any of the gravel for several weeks. I use API root tabs, and they have the nastiest looking brown poof clouds when you shift them out of the gravel. This time I pushed them real deep, hopefully no more poof clouds for me. =_________=
Micho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 08:01 PM   #72 
aurasoulful

Oh okay, sounds like a great place to go. We don't have places like that anymore. It's sad really. Yeah, try not to stir up that gravel. Brown poofy clouds don't sound good o-o But do you poke holes in your substrate? I have to daily until I get my snails. Then they can do it for me.. I'm lazy :D How long have you had your tank running?
aurasoulful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 08:05 PM   #73 
Micho

Quote:
Oh okay, sounds like a great place to go. We don't have places like that anymore. It's sad really. Yeah, try not to stir up that gravel. Brown poofy clouds don't sound good o-o But do you poke holes in your substrate? I have to daily until I get my snails. Then they can do it for me.. I'm lazy :D How long have you had your tank running?
You don't have any nearby pet stores? D: I mean LPS aren't the greatest place but sometimes they can be okay-ish? I don't poke holes, I'm guessing it's suppose to aerate the plants, I'll grab a chopstick and start poking some holes soon. :D Dem snails, I want some, me want to be lazy too and not poke my own holes. This tank has been only around for a week, I got it for a nice price last Saturday.

It's not cycled yet but I've been checking ammonia everyday and nitrites every three days, and it's been at 0. . . So I'm guessing silent cycle is what's happening.
Old 09-25-2011, 08:10 PM   #74 
aurasoulful

Yep, all the ones I've seen have all closed down :/ Yeah, poking the substrate is important to prevent toxic gasses and funky bacteria to develop. It's recommended to do this until the roots grow down deep and aerate for you, but this could take months. That's why I'd do it the easy way and get the snails. But yeah take chopsticks and poke around. You'll see bubbles coming up..... and yes you are silent cycling right now :) That's what I'm going to do. I haven't added any fish yet and my beta Fernando is in his hotel room until his house is renovated :) I don't think Petsmart has mini Cories, so I may try my luck with Otos. Then I'll add some Neons or Rasaboras later, then Fernando. This tank is a 10 galleon as well :)

Last edited by aurasoulful; 09-25-2011 at 08:15 PM.
Old 09-25-2011, 08:26 PM   #75 
Micho

Quote:
Yep, all the ones I've seen have all closed down :/ Yeah, poking the substrate is important to prevent toxic gasses and funky bacteria to develop. It's recommended to do this until the roots grow down deep and aerate for you, but this could take months. That's why I'd do it the easy way and get the snails. But yeah take chopsticks and poke around. You'll see bubbles coming up..... and yes you are silent cycling right now :) That's what I'm going to do. I haven't added any fish yet and my beta Fernando is in his hotel room until his house is renovated :) I don't think Petsmart has mini Cories, so I may try my luck with Otos. Then I'll add some Neons or Rasaboras later, then Fernando. This tank is a 10 galleon as well :)
Wow that sucks. ): Guess there's no business so they have to close down. I'll be sure to poke everyday, don't want weird things happening in my tank, especially if it's bad things. D: I'm pretty bad rooting my plants, their roots are long and I can't place it in the gravel, some of the roots are hanging out floating in the water. =______=; We'll see how this goes. . . You never know, you should always ask, but after seeing my PetSmart I'm not going to buy any fish from there unless it's a major steal. I was looking at the Neon Tetras, not that great, couple of them dead on the floor and while the others were eating the corpses. Bleh. Hope your renovation goes well, I'd just dump in the plants that I could find that weren't too tall and looked healthy so I could get a better chance from them dying.

I'm still not sure if I should add some other species into the tank, the Neon Tetras at my PFS are also cheap, $1.99 for each one. :D But I'll have to wait a couple of weeks to see how my pygmy cories and live plants do first, don't want to rush this and possibly ruin my whole tank. D:
Old 09-25-2011, 08:34 PM   #76 
aurasoulful

Yeah, always good to introduce slowly. The floating roots you probably could just pinch off. If it's a thin side root, it won't hurt the plant. It may just rot away, or enjoy the current XD I can't STAND seeing dying fish in overcrowded tanks... With the other fish eating their tank mates, you know they aren't dedicated enough to check the tanks and remove the death asap. The corpses release ammonia that is weakening and killing the others :/ OH! i just thought of a small business pet store around me that I believe is still open! XD I can't wait to check them out. I used to go there all the time. Forgot why I stopped
Old 09-25-2011, 11:08 PM   #77 
Sakura8

Aurasoulful, there used to be a great pet store out in your area that I went to several times. Pet . . . Connection, I think it was called. I think sadly it burned down several years ago. I'm not sure if it reopened or not.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 11:23 PM   #78 
Micho

Quote:
Yeah, always good to introduce slowly. The floating roots you probably could just pinch off. If it's a thin side root, it won't hurt the plant. It may just rot away, or enjoy the current XD I can't STAND seeing dying fish in overcrowded tanks... With the other fish eating their tank mates, you know they aren't dedicated enough to check the tanks and remove the death asap. The corpses release ammonia that is weakening and killing the others :/ OH! i just thought of a small business pet store around me that I believe is still open! XD I can't wait to check them out. I used to go there all the time. Forgot why I stopped
We'll see, apparently I didn't space my out my plants good enough. D: I'm too scared to move them and sent off a mine of root tab bomb. I really don't wanna do several 100% changes again. . Yeah death in pet stores are common and usually unnoticed too, especially in Betta section it's really gross and you can smell it if you stand too close to it. Bleh, I dunno now, after playing with AQ advisor I want to add one more species of fish to my 10 gallon, possibly a shoal of six Neon Tetras, I'm wondering if that's a good move alone with my six Cories right now. Go to small pet stores! They're usually better, hopefully, too bad you don't have a LFS, those ones are usually better.
Old 09-25-2011, 11:25 PM   #79 
Sakura8

I would wait a week at least before adding any new fish, Micho. Let the bacteria catch up to the added bioload and make sure it can handle it before adding more bioload. I know it's sooooo hard to wait though, isn't it?
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 11:33 PM   #80 
Micho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakura8 View Post
I would wait a week at least before adding any new fish, Micho. Let the bacteria catch up to the added bioload and make sure it can handle it before adding more bioload. I know it's sooooo hard to wait though, isn't it?
Haha I know, I was just wondering if it's possible to add more fish in the future, adding more fish right now would be a horrible mistake. Currently I'm thinking of making a tank like Dragonii's they two gallon tank he made, not the three gallon cube. . I would want something more in width than depth, and probably going to house a Betta in it. It'll probably make my parents mad hen they find out I want another Betta, oh well. xP