Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-26-2011, 12:47 AM   #81 
Sakura8

Your folks should be glad you'd rather spend your money on fish than on something really bad, like drugs. o.O
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 05:37 AM   #82 
snoopy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micho View Post
Yeah, those little buggers don't seem to grow that big to be honest. .____.;

I was choosing between shrimp and snails, seeing how shrimps can be easily picked off by my Betta or any other fish while snails have armor I kinda think that a snail would be my best bet for an algae eating friend.

If the snail doesn't work out (AKA dies), it's okay. I'll be having a little nano red cherry shrimp tank, apparently they reproduce like mad, so I can drop there in my 10 gallon and pray to God that they don't die. That's if I can find any RCS around here.
The problem is that snail donīt clean the leaf of the plant and the ground. I have 1 nerite snail and itīs perfect to clean the glass, but for the rest of the fish tank I recommend you shrimps, maybe your betta will eat them or not.

And if you have live plants I think the snail poop will not be a problem.

Quote:
So changed it up a bit now:

1 male Betta
6 Neon Tetras
4 Cories
1 Nerite or mystery snail

The mystery snails I saw were small. . While the Nerites were big! I don't know how to feed my snail though? Do they eat the sinking wafer like my Cories will?
I would choose nerite snail, becase this canīt breed due to the temperature of your fish tank. (In fact I have one)

Quote:
I'm going to bump this now since I'm ready to add fish in, well I already have added fish in.

You should bury those roots or it could rot.

Quote:
I'm planning to set up a RCS tank with my two gallon. If it thrives and they reproduce (apparently they reproduce like mad), I'll add some RCS into my ten gallon and see how they fare, they're smaller than ghost shrimps so I'm scared they'll get eaten by Jake. We'll see how it goes.
Your 2g fish tank have filter and heater?

And my last question.. :D At the end what fish/snail/shrimp are you going to add?

Edit: I have a 10g too with a betta and 3 red cherry shrimp (before 4, because the betta killed one but currently they get on well with themselves) but I would like to add neon..

Last edited by snoopy; 09-26-2011 at 05:52 AM.
snoopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 11:16 AM   #83 
dbockrath

If you go with mystery (aka apple) snails, just be aware they grow quickly. My two were each the size of a small grape when I got them a couple of months ago, and they've easily tripled in size since then.
dbockrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 01:22 PM   #84 
Micho

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopy View Post
The problem is that snail donīt clean the leaf of the plant and the ground. I have 1 nerite snail and itīs perfect to clean the glass, but for the rest of the fish tank I recommend you shrimps, maybe your betta will eat them or not.

And if you have live plants I think the snail poop will not be a problem.

I would choose nerite snail, becase this canīt breed due to the temperature of your fish tank. (In fact I have one)

You should bury those roots or it could rot.

Your 2g fish tank have filter and heater?

And my last question.. :D At the end what fish/snail/shrimp are you going to
add?

Edit: I have a 10g too with a betta and 3 red cherry shrimp (before 4, because the betta killed one but currently they get on well with themselves) but I would like to add neon..
I dunno I'll probably get one Nerite snail and add some RCS, if the RCS don't work out too well I'll try Ghost shrimps cause they're bigger. The roots are annoying, I'll try to bury them without setting off a bomb. Yep my Fluval Spec 2 gallon shall be the home for the RCS I plan to get.

Plan to add some Neon Tetras, a Nerite snail and a few shrimp depends what kind though. I dunno if that's overstocking but my plan won't take action for a few weeks. Need to see if my plants will thrive, and if my pygmy Cories will survive.

Yeah you can most definitely add Tetras, just have to take out your Betta and introduce him back after a few days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbockrath View Post
If you go with mystery (aka apple) snails, just be aware they grow quickly. My two were each the size of a small grape when I got them a couple of months ago, and they've easily tripled in size since then.
Nerite snails are my snail to go. xD
Micho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 01:27 PM   #85 
aurasoulful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakura8 View Post
Aurasoulful, there used to be a great pet store out in your area that I went to several times. Pet . . . Connection, I think it was called. I think sadly it burned down several years ago. I'm not sure if it reopened or not.
Oh yeah I remember that place. I could look it up, but I doubt it's around anymore. :(
aurasoulful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 10:45 PM   #86 
Micho

Ohhh, so one of my cories just died. I picked him up and said goodbye to him. Did a water test, ammonia and nitrites level were at 0?

Jake right now has mouth fungus, separated him and put him into his 0.8 QT tank. Should I do a water change with my 10 gallon?
Old 09-26-2011, 11:03 PM   #87 
Sakura8

You could do a small water change. Was it the cory you accidentally dropped who died? I'm sorry to hear about Jake and about your cory. :(

Micho, in the pic of your tank, the Amazon Sword with the roots sticking up . . . take the plant out and use scissors to trim the roots to a short 1/2 inch length. Then bury it again.
Old 09-26-2011, 11:08 PM   #88 
Micho

Quote:
You could do a small water change. Was it the cory you accidentally dropped who died? I'm sorry to hear about Jake and about your cory. :(

Micho, in the pic of your tank, the Amazon Sword with the roots sticking up . . . take the plant out and use scissors to trim the roots to a short 1/2 inch length. Then bury it again.
I'm not sure, they all look the same to me. I dunno maybe I'm just a bad caretaker of fish. The cories are supposed to be swimming right? A lot of them are just chillin' at the bottom which is usually not a good sign. Sometimes they do swim but not for very long.

And yeah I'll do that with my plants, didn't know you could cut the roots.
Old 09-26-2011, 11:25 PM   #89 
Sakura8

Micho, you're not a bad fishowner. Starting community tanks is difficult, trust me. When I started mine, I lost 2 guppies, 3 platies, and 3 panda cories before things stabilized and I figured out what I was doing. Your little cories may be adjusting still. The're such tiny things . . . oh, also cories are most active early in the morning and after dark. Maybe they're just sleeping until it gets dark?
Old 09-26-2011, 11:37 PM   #90 
Micho

Quote:
Micho, you're not a bad fishowner. Starting community tanks is difficult, trust me. When I started mine, I lost 2 guppies, 3 platies, and 3 panda cories before things stabilized and I figured out what I was doing. Your little cories may be adjusting still. The're such tiny things . . . oh, also cories are most active early in the morning and after dark. Maybe they're just sleeping until it gets dark?
I wouldn't be surprised if more drop dead on me, or I should really say float. I'm really need to go pick up some sinking wafers, maybe that's why they died 'cause they're not getting enough food. . . Hope they are adjusting, all I ever see them do is hide (which is when I cannot find them) or be on a plant.

Maybe they're just trolling me and being shy with me, I'm gone for most the early morning because of school and at night I'm asleep. I dunno. . . I've trimmed my roots like you said to, now for the water change, 20% would be good?