Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-18-2011, 06:36 AM   #1 
BlackberryBetta

Betta spitting food

Yesterday when I fed my betta he would be very interested in the food, he would go up to it and eat it, but he look like he was chewing it and then spit it out! Yesterday morning after countless peices of food he got 2 pellets down. Last night he might not have gotten any down or he might of ate 1, I forget. But he continued this for 2 meals. I haven't fed him yet this morning so we'll see. I feed Aqueon Betta Food (pellets) and I have never had a problem in the past. I don't really have an alternative because he doesn't like bloodoworms, he spits those up to! Could there be something wrong? Sorry I didn't post this in the disease section because it isnt't really an emergency. Thanks!
BlackberryBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 07:29 AM   #2 
Kestral

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackberryBetta View Post
Yesterday when I fed my betta he would be very interested in the food, he would go up to it and eat it, but he look like he was chewing it and then spit it out! Yesterday morning after countless peices of food he got 2 pellets down. Last night he might not have gotten any down or he might of ate 1, I forget. But he continued this for 2 meals. I haven't fed him yet this morning so we'll see. I feed Aqueon Betta Food (pellets) and I have never had a problem in the past. I don't really have an alternative because he doesn't like bloodoworms, he spits those up to! Could there be something wrong? Sorry I didn't post this in the disease section because it isnt't really an emergency. Thanks!
The same thing happened with my fish, Silver. He would spit up everything, so I crushed his pellets and he didn't really spit them up.
Dante spits his up too... I think he is softening them or something. He gets two in his mouth, grabs for three and spits em' up, but eventually he eats all three.
And Royal is a complete pig and attacks the food... he never spits them up!
All I can suggest is crushing the pellets or trying a different food.
Kestral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 08:07 AM   #3 
EverythingNice55

Yes, bettas are small little fish, and they chew and chew and chew and spit it out to make sure that they made it softer for them to eat. They can't really chew and swallow huge chuncks, so try to crush them up a bit so it's easier for your betta to chew and swallow.
EverythingNice55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 10:24 AM   #4 
Myates

Fresh garlic juice (from crushing garlic cloves), or garlic juice from the jars of garlic can help along with the cutting of the pellet in half. The garlic acts as a hunger stimulant and normally will work. Just soak the pellets you plan on feeding for that one meal in it for a short bit prior to putting it in the tank. It's worth a shot if he becomes worse. Good luck!
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 04:23 PM   #5 
hufflepuffyfish

Wow, that garlic idea is really amazing. I wish I'd known that sooner. I've just been hoping my thul gets around to eating... well, he's finally eating again but i will keep that garlic idea in my mind. ^O^ i love garlic too...
also... sometimes i think my fish will spit stuff up just so they can chase it to the bottom... =p
hufflepuffyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 04:46 PM   #6 
BlackberryBetta

Thanks guys. I think it is the size because he is eating flakes but still spitting a few up. Anyways I will try the garlic thing but for now the flakes are definately working fine.
BlackberryBetta is offline   Reply With Quote