Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-17-2011, 06:40 PM   #1 
Micho

I got a new 10 gallon!

Today we went to a PetSmart store that was quite far away from our house, but it was a huge PetSmart.

Saw this 10 gallon tank that was unbelievably cheap, Canada doesn't have cheap tanks. It came with a Tetra Whisper Internal Filter, and a hood with lights.

Now I also bought a heater which is the Elite Submersible 50w heater which is supposedly for 15 gallons but it's adjustable and winter here is really cold. I also got Stability by Seachem, apparently that will help it cycle. I'm not sure. Also I added in Geo Aquarium Substrate, made my water so cloudy, anyway to get ride of the cloudy-ness? I like strained and cleaned the gravel several times before added it into the tank, still cloudy.

Do I need to use something else for it to cycle or will just following the instructions will cycle the tank?

Also, I'm planning on putting in my Betta in, and along with some tetras, shrimps, those algae eating fishies (dunno what they're called), and some live plants.

Recommended number of each type of fish to get? Along with how much water should I change? And I do have a gravel vacuum, so I will use that from time to time.

Thanks for the help in advance.
Micho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 06:51 PM   #2 
Pitluvs

Most algae eater fish get too big for a 10g tank, if you mean plecos. I know clown plecos stay smaller but still unsure if a 10g would be suitable. What about shrimp or apple snails? Congrats on the new tank, nothing better. Tanks are some expensive here eh? No idea on the cycling stuff, I've always been told they do squat. Better to spend your money on a master testing kit and cycle the old way :)
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 08:05 PM   #3 
Silverfang

I second the no plecos. I believe bristlenose are the smallest, and even then they can get 4 inches or so. If you want an algae cleaner shrimp or snails, or possibly another small kind of bottom feeder.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 08:12 PM   #4 
Pitluvs

Clowns get to be a little smaller than a bristle nose but still not suitable for 10g but either way right? Lol I have an apple snail in my 10g, he's awesome and named Sal.
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 11:35 PM   #5 
GalvatronX99

I am a HUGE fan of otocinclus catfish for algae consumption.

Those little guys will eat your algae so quickly they can starve to death from lack of algae to eat lol. They're really picky eaters and usually in bad shape at the petstore though. If your otos make the first week, you can generally expect to keep them around for awhile.

edit* They stay really small too. Mine are like 1.5-1.8 inches max
GalvatronX99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 11:56 PM   #6 
Micho

Yeah I meant otocinclus fishes. So does no one know if Stability by Seachem would work for cycling tanks? Any help would be great!

Also what plants should I get? I was thinking about some Marino moss balls because they look so cute. Along with some swords, how many plants should I get? Can you overcrowd when it comes to plants?
Old 09-18-2011, 11:14 AM   #7 
Silverfang

you can't go wrong with anubis and anachris.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 11:22 AM   #8 
Micho

We have strange selections here for plants, I'll tend to stick to the ones that I think are *pretty*. Probably tall looking plants so if I Betta does nip one of the fish, they'll have places to swim off and hide.

So, seeing how Stability doesn't really cycle your tank. If I do cycle my tank, what are the water changes needed to be done? If I don't cycle my tank, do I need to do extra water changes?

While I'm on here, after transferring my Betta from his two gallon to his 10 gallon community tank, I would have a free two gallon. It's heated, filtered, decorated so I think it would be a waste for it to be not used. I really don't want a Betta in there, would any other fish do?