Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-18-2011, 11:32 AM   #1 
RavenofLight

Stress Coat

I'm not sure if this goes here or in the disease section but...

My betta, Ivan, has a little bit of finrot. He came with it from being in his little cup at Petco but, i wasnt sure if it was another indent in his dorsal or finrot. Its definitely finrot now, not bad but enough to be sure it is. So I have started water changes everyday and adding aq. salt.

I know that people recommend API Stress Coat during situations like this, so I picked some up,but I want to clarify the instructions before i use it since i never had before (i know, bad betta owner bad!) So two questions,

1. It says "makes tap water safe -removes chlorine and chloramines -detoxifies heavy metals" so is it a water conditioner as well as a slime coat rebuilder. And if so do i no longer need to use the API Tap Water Conditioner that i have been using or do I have to use both?

2. It says "Add 5mL per 10 U.S. gal of aquarium water. Double the dose to replace slime coat and to repair damaged skin and fins" I know, I want the double dose to help him get better from the fin rot, but is it safe to jump right to that double dose when Ivan has never been exposed to Stress Coat at all or do i start with the lower dose and like 12hr later or something go to the double dose?

Also as a double check, the double dose for a 5gal is 5mL, right? I'm horrible at math.

And is it safe for my apple snail, Slowpoke?

Heres a pic of what it looked like when i got him (maybe day 2) and what it looks like today so you can see, its just the one little spot on his dorsal.
Attached Images

RavenofLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 12:04 PM   #2 
Leeniex

I don't know the answer, but I still love that fish! Lol
Leeniex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 12:09 PM   #3 
RavenofLight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeniex View Post
I don't know the answer, but I still love that fish! Lol
Bahahaha thanks. I'm eyeing the fish in your avatar, I have a soft spot for butterflies since my first betta was one. He looks young in the picture, he must be even more of a looker now
Old 09-18-2011, 12:19 PM   #4 
Leeniex

Thanks....This was taken last week. It was a hundred percent improvement over when I bought him. He's still a tiny little peanut though.
Leeniex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 12:41 PM   #5 
RavenofLight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeniex View Post
Thanks....This was taken last week. It was a hundred percent improvement over when I bought him. He's still a tiny little peanut though.
Well I bet he's going to be a beauty when he's all grown up, he looks like how my first boy did when he was a baby, then he grew into a huge beautiful boy. Like this: His name was Rocco.
Attached Images

Old 09-18-2011, 12:42 PM   #6 
Laki

o.o I think it's used on it's own.. Not totally sure though. LOVELY fish though!!
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 04:11 PM   #7 
ksage505

Based on my experience with using stress coat with bettas and several other types of fish, I think it will be ok to go ahead and give him the double dose. Stress coat has always worked wonders for me. I have double dosed and my fish always improve from it. I use stress coat as well as a water conditioner, aqua safe, just to be sure. Both are good for the fish and I've never had any problems with using both. I'm currently also treating one of my bettas for fin rot with aquarium salt and safe coat and he is improving, his fins are starting to grow back and he is very active. I see no negative side affects from using all three of these products. Aquarium salt and safe coat have worked wonders for me. As for the apple snail, I'm not sure. I have never had one and I really don't know anything about them.
ksage505 is offline   Reply With Quote