Betta Fish Forum banner

dying?

439 views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  Oldfishlady 
#1 ·
mom brought me home a tiny female from walmart night before last. she was lethargic when i got her and now she stays still at the top of her bowl. she is leaned over to her right side and doesnt seem to be able to swim around easily. she doesnt appear bloated or anything ...it just looks like she's dying :( does anyone know what could be wrong or if there is anything i can do. she won't eat either.

#3 ·
Right now, the most important thing is that she can go up for air. Since she can, thats good. She couldbe reacting to a number of different things. Water chemistrymight be off, the tank might be to cold or hot....does she have any horizontal stripes?

#4 ·
i have only had her just over 24 hrs...
she's in a 75 degree F 1 gallon bowl with a fake plant (not sharp) for resting and hiding.
i have other bettas so i know how to treat the water and everything.
she is so small i put her in the 1 G bowl as a temporary home because i feared she would have trouble getting to the top of a larger tank( she was lethargic). i'd never leave her in something that small permanently..

I tried feeding her the morning after i got her (i got her at night as a surprise) and she wouldnt eat. . . she had been swimming around moderately the night i got her in her new home but today she is almost totally still.

her gills dont appear to be moving but she is so pale i can see something inside her gills is moving at a steady pace. i feel so sorry for her. walmart in my town is so terrible to their bettas. there are always at least 3 dead on the shelves. :(

#8 ·
How did you acclimate her to the new water, how much and what kind of dechlorinator did you use.....

Right now-I would keep her in a dim lit quite location, no filtration or water movement, add some tannins like IAL or Oak leaf and start making 50% water changes with like temp double dosed dechlorinated water.....you could even premix some treatment water in a 1gal jug of dechlorinated water and add Epsom salt 2tsp/gal (Not aquarium salt) add the tannin source to steep for 30min-1hr and use this for 50% water changes every hour for 2 hours today and start 100% tomorrow for 7-14 days-since she is floating-also-cover the top with plastic veggie wrap to help retain the heat and humidity for the labyrinth organ......as long as you acclimated her to both temp and chemistry of the new source water when you got her-she might perk up for you in a day or so with this treatment....good luck and keep us posted.....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.