Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-18-2011, 02:33 PM   #1 
HazelrahLayna7

Location: A lovely valley in VA, USA But Inkworld, Mossflower woods, Farsala, or The TARDIS is good too.
Safely cycle a ten gallon?

Does anyone know how to safely fish-in cycle a 10 gallon? I know that it'll almost certainly require lots of water changes, but I'm prepared to do that.

Haha, I was planning on doing a fishless, but then Watson, my new and first betta who'd been at the LPS where I got him for for at least 2 1/2 months, came along. He's been in the 10 gallon since yesterday afternoon, after a week of being in QT.

Watson's got a filter and plants and a thermometer and mugs to hide in/around, plus water conditioner and a water test kit, so I have everything except a heater, and I'll be getting that in the next week. (Until then I'm keeping a good eye on his water temp.)

So, bottom line: Does someone have any good guidelines on how to safely fish-in cycle a 10 gallon tank?
HazelrahLayna7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 02:44 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

In a 10gal filtered tank with live plants and a single Betta-while establishing the nitrogen cycle......

Water changes of 50% weekly with vacuum in all places that can be reached without moving anything or disruption of plant roots...this is for the life of the system and then make a second 50% weekly water only-based on test results of ammonia, nitrite 0.25ppm or greater

Once you have nitrate 5-10ppm without any ammonia, nitrite spike-you are most likely cycled....this can take 4-8 weeks and depending on the number, species and growth state of the live plants-you may not see nitrate for a long time on your stocking due to the active plant growth using ammonia before conversion.....But don't worry....all is fine.....watch the Betta...

Filter media needs a swish/rinse in old tank water with a water change a couple of times a month.....this needs to be started in about week 4/5....

What kind of testing products are you using, number and type of live plants, what is the finale stocking plan, type of filter used and lights-how old are the bulbs, what kind, watts, kelvin and photoperiod......how long has the tank been running and what are the water prams for the tank and the source water as well as the type of additives, dechlorinator used.....

Love to see some pics.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 03:07 PM   #3 
HazelrahLayna7

Location: A lovely valley in VA, USA But Inkworld, Mossflower woods, Farsala, or The TARDIS is good too.
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
In a 10gal filtered tank with live plants and a single Betta-while establishing the nitrogen cycle......

Water changes of 50% weekly with vacuum in all places that can be reached without moving anything or disruption of plant roots...this is for the life of the system and then make a second 50% weekly water only-based on test results of ammonia, nitrite 0.25ppm or greater

Once you have nitrate 5-10ppm without any ammonia, nitrite spike-you are most likely cycled....this can take 4-8 weeks and depending on the number, species and growth state of the live plants-you may not see nitrate for a long time on your stocking due to the active plant growth using ammonia before conversion.....But don't worry....all is fine.....watch the Betta...

Filter media needs a swish/rinse in old tank water with a water change a couple of times a month.....this needs to be started in about week 4/5....

What kind of testing products are you using, number and type of live plants, what is the finale stocking plan, type of filter used and lights-how old are the bulbs, what kind, watts, kelvin and photoperiod......how long has the tank been running and what are the water prams for the tank and the source water as well as the type of additives, dechlorinator used.....

Love to see some pics.....
Thanks Oldfishlady! Heh...sorry for misleading-I've got one silk plant in there right now, with more to come.
I'll certainly watch Watson to make sure he's okay, I don't want anything happening to the fella. :)

I'm using API Master test kit for the testing, and a tom mini internal filter, set at the lowest setting. Light is indirect natural light coming from the kitchen window. (He's on the table and the kitchen is the brightest room in the house.) I started the tank just yesterday, and I'll get the water prams right after I post this. Ehm...I don't know what source the water's from, and I'm using the API stresscoat for water conditioner until I use it up, then I have seachem prime I can use.

And pics are to come!
Old 09-18-2011, 03:16 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

Okay....even with fake plants-I would still do it the same way....and it will help you know cycling stage easier too....

Be sure and shake, bang and shake some more on the #2 bottle nitrate reagent...it tends to settle and can give skewed readings

Source water is the water you use for the tank...tap water, well water, R/O water....if it is tap water-does the water go through any type of softener unit...if so, you want to bypass that....

Remember-some dechlorinating product will change the ammonia to ammonium the safer form and the testing products can't tell the difference....but the nitrifying bacteria can still use it for the nitrogen cycle....the fish behavior will tell you by his action which one it is.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 08:27 PM   #5 
HazelrahLayna7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
Okay....even with fake plants-I would still do it the same way....and it will help you know cycling stage easier too....

Be sure and shake, bang and shake some more on the #2 bottle nitrate reagent...it tends to settle and can give skewed readings

Source water is the water you use for the tank...tap water, well water, R/O water....if it is tap water-does the water go through any type of softener unit...if so, you want to bypass that....

Remember-some dechlorinating product will change the ammonia to ammonium the safer form and the testing products can't tell the difference....but the nitrifying bacteria can still use it for the nitrogen cycle....the fish behavior will tell you by his action which one it is.....
Well, hah, youth group was sooner than I thought, so I just got a 50% water change done and have the prams!

PH: 7.6
High Range PH: N/A
Nitrite:0 PPM
Nitrate: 0 PPM
And with Ammonia, I got kinda between 0 and 0.25 PPM. The color was closer to the 0 one, but wasn't as bright yellow as the 0, and yet it didn't have the greenish look the 0.25 had. But Watson's acting just fine, so I'll check it again tomorrow, maybe its just the ammonium, like you said OFL.

Ah! I have tap water. I do have a spout filter softener thing on it, but don't use it for Watson's water.
(Don't know how to describe it...Um:
There you go. XD)

And I'll do the cycling as you said, it makes sense.

(Sorry if this seems a bit rushed near the end, I need to go to bed. If there's anything I missed I'll answer tomorrow, I don't want to push mom's tolerance too much. Night!)