Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-11-2011, 12:56 AM   #1 
GreenTea

Talking Aquabid Acclimation and other questions with photos.

Hey guys, so I am receiving some girls through Jennifer in about a week and a half. I have searched the board and not found a sticky or any helpful information on these topics. I know the threads are out there though so if you know them feel free to post them here. Also I hope I'm not offending anyone but please only reply to my questions if you are sure of your answers and/or had personal experiences with them! Lately I've seen a lot of people giving advice on everything from breeding to snails and when corrected say "Oh yeah I don't really know anything about this." It's like OK...why did you comment with advice then?! It can be dangerous. If you don't have any applicable info, there's still a question for you at the bottom :)

My first set of questions is on water - If the water in their bags is the Thai water, how long should I acclimate them for? I've heard fifteen minutes of temperature acclimation, and then adding small amounts of new water for the next 12 hours or so. Is that right? Do they need to be in a dark room for a few hours since they've been in the box? Does anyone know if Jennifer changes their bag water? I emailed her asking but no response yet. If she does, how long should I acclimate from her water? It's many many states from me.

My second set of questions is on my sorority tank - I have set up a 20 gal long tank with real and fake plants. I will be adding more things before they are introduced, hiding spots and such. It is cycled, heated, and filtered. All of these girls are coming from the same breeder. Should I acclimate them in their bags in this tank so that they can see each other and get used to one another? Or should I acclimate them separately before introducing them to reduce stress? Once they've been properly acclimated, how long should I float them in their new tank, getting used to one another for? I have heard two days. This sorority will have cost me about 200 hundred after all is said and done, and I want to do this right!

And lasty, breeding in regards to the girls - I got these girls hopefully to use as breeding stock with my two dragon hmpks and my giant hmpks. Is it ok to condition them all with the food for a few weeks? Will they become aggressive with one another? Would it be best to pull a few girls from the sorority and condition them separately? I want to disturb the order of the sorority as little as possible to keep the peace.

And here are photos of my hmpk girls! One or two more may be added as well :

Anyone have any tank theme ideas? I'm not into the whole princess theme so much, and have basically ran out of the natural planted tank ideas on my boys tanks.
GreenTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 12:05 PM   #2 
cajunamy
Banned

My first set of questions is on water -
I always open my package in a room with a little light - if it's daytime no lights on other than the light coming in the windows. I'll look at them then put them back in the box for maybe 10-15 minutes. I've left them in their bags up to a day already with no ill effects, HOWEVER I wouldn't advise doing that! I only did it due to extenuating circumstances. As for acclimation, I acclimate them like any other fish I buy - over an hour or so, adding water every 10ish minutes. When they come to the US the transhippers change their bags - at least I believe.

My second set of questions is on my sorority tank -

I've never acclimated my girls to each other or to the tank b/c they were always coming from my water into the 55. When I add new girls I honestly just put them in.

And lasty, breeding in regards to the girls - I can't really answer these questions, as I'm contemplating how to condition as well. Chard has told me he feeds all his fish the same, so they are always conditioned, and when he wants to spawn he just pulls them and spawns them. I think that is what I'm going to do. I can tell you if you want you can spawn them practically right away, my HMPK salamander pair, I had for 3 days and I put them to spawn and they did. They were already conditioned, coming from Thailand. I just gave them those 3 days to feed a bit, since I'm sure they hadn't been in a good 2 weeks.
cajunamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 09:41 PM   #3 
GreenTea

Thanks for your input Cajun! Do you have any horror stories with shipping or illnesses? How long did/has your sorority lasted? I know a lot of people on here have them successfully for years but I keep seeing posts of people whose don't work out. Is that just their lack of research and preparation or is there a good chance it won't work? I have many extra tanks just in case, but I'd really love it to work!
Old 09-11-2011, 09:48 PM   #4 
Tisia

did Jennifer ever get back to you on the water thing? I'll be getting a few transhipped through her next week as well
Tisia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 09:52 PM   #5 
GreenTea

Yes she did Tisia! She DOES change the water for us, so that's neat. Also if you're a member of Ultimate Bettas tell her, there's no $5 box fee if you are :)
Old 09-11-2011, 09:55 PM   #6 
LittleBettaFish

An easy way to acclimatise imported fish is to fill up a large bucket with the water you want to acclimatise them to. I usually stick a heater in there so that it stays warm, as most times I don't know the exact time they are arriving.

When my bettas arrive, I open up their bags and pour them into another bucket or large jug. I add a couple of drops of Prime to the shipping water to detoxify any ammonia/nitrite build-up.

Then using a piece of airline tubing and my gang valve (in the case of acclimatising multiple fish) I slowly siphon water out of the main bucket and into the bucket containing the bettas. I adjust my valve so that the water comes out at a few drips a second, and then I just let that run for an hour or two.

Once the main bucket is empty, I carefully cup my bettas out and place them into their tank.

However in the past, I have just put bettas straight from their shipping bags into their new tank without any losses. Even my more delicate wilds have had no issues with this method - though I wouldn't recommend it.

I'd probably quarantine each female separately first until you know everyone is eating and healthy. Then just do like a normal sorority and introduce them into the tank at the same time.

If they're young, related and there's plenty of cover, they should be fine.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 10:00 PM   #7 
Tisia

great, that makes things easier, and I won't have to stress about them being okay while acclimating as much. I have an account on there but never really post
Tisia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 11:25 PM   #8 
cajunamy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenTea View Post
Thanks for your input Cajun! Do you have any horror stories with shipping or illnesses? How long did/has your sorority lasted? I know a lot of people on here have them successfully for years but I keep seeing posts of people whose don't work out. Is that just their lack of research and preparation or is there a good chance it won't work? I have many extra tanks just in case, but I'd really love it to work!
Well, first I had 6 girls in a 15 gallon, for about ... 4 months? Now they've been in the 55 for maybe another 2.

You have to research it and do it right, but even then it sometimes can not work out. I have a ton of jars for back ups just in case, and a couple tanks. One thing to know about a sorority is that they WILL be nippy. I have found when they are fed, well, too much, they are less nippy. Fat and happy lol. Not overly obese, just very very plump. Seems to keep things in better order.

Plenty of room, at least 5 would be my recommendation, and a TON of hiding spots.
cajunamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 07:37 PM   #9 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

For a more unnatural tank- you could maybe do a toy/playground theme - with like marbles, dominos, anything that you could make tank safe. I think that would look really cute in the end :D or maybe a tropical resort theme theme- you could make little coconut resort rooms and like, a pool area using clear stones, a few lives plants, sand :D
Just my two ideas xD
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 06:37 PM   #10 
GreenTea

I like the toy/playground theme idea. They're going to be here in a week now! I'm so nervous/excited! I got these two girls as well, to round out the sorority number..I'm done buying them unless he posts another stunning girl or two. They're all pretty but I must be obsessed to spend anymore!

Cajun, they're going to be in a 20 gal long tank which is now pretty well stocked with plants and such. Going to buy some decor from craigslist in a minute here :D So excited! I've done lots of research I'm just a worry wart..