Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-19-2011, 12:58 AM   #1 
Micho

My tank, smells?

I dunno guys, I just got this tank about two days ago and I went up and lifted the flap to smell it today and boy did it reek! Smelled like fish, basically.

But the weird thing is that this tank is brand new, only thing in it is a heater, filter and some gravel. So I thought the water chemistry off so I ran some tests, well all of them.

Ammonia, nitrate, and nitrites were all at 0 and pH was at 7.5. Does anyone know why my 10 gallon smells the way it does? Or is it just natural? My two gallon doesn't smell funny at all, and it has a fish in it.
Micho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 01:18 AM   #2 
Banicks

Well, I suppose the first thought that comes to mind is, it isnt new.

If it's anything like my local LFS - which I dont use, I have a PFS preferred fish store - it's quite common for them to use something for a while. Like an ornament, heater, tank. Then when they no longer have the use for it or fish, it's put on the shelves and looks new-ish.

Other than that, no idea!
Banicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 01:19 AM   #3 
bettafish15

Hm... maybe your city put something funky in the water that day? Try a water change and see if it improves.
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 01:27 AM   #4 
Micho

Maybe that's the reason why it was so cheap, it was used before, which kinda scares me now that I think about it. When I go back next week I'll ask the lady that helped me if she's there. If it's used is there any potential risk I'm taking? I would take this damn tank and ask for a full refund if it's been used. No one told me it was used, kinda ticks me off.

I did a water change for my two gallon today, it doesn't smell at all. So it wouldn't be the water. .
Old 09-19-2011, 02:03 AM   #5 
bettafish15

If it was used, you could just rinse it with hot water, or add a teensy bit of bleach to the tank water, with all deco's and gravel removed, and rinse thoroughly. Also let dry in the sunshine before re-filling it, to be sure. :)
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 10:22 AM   #6 
Micho

I'll go ask the lady to be sure, I really don't wanna lug around buckets of water then remove the heaps of gravel and then wash it and bask it in the sun.

I don't think the sun comes out anymore here. Winter is coming. o mo