Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-19-2011, 09:40 AM   #1 
ksage505

Question New walmart crowntail, is this fin rot? Tail biting? Torn fins?

Two days ago I got a red/purple/blue small crowntail, now named Frisco, from walmart. They didn't have very many bettas and the ones that were still alive mostly looked fairly healthy. Frisco here had terrible fins and his cup was pretty dirty. It didn't look like he had much life left in him if something wasn't done soon so I snatched him up. Once I got him fed and in his new 2.5 gallon home, he perked up very much. He acts perfectly fine, he is very active and eats like a pig. I've been giving him betta pellets and some bloodworms. His fins are just disheveled. I've been treating him aquarium salt and stress coat, but I'm not absolutely sure of what is going on with him. I've had many fish but I've never dealt with fin rot before. Does this look like fin rot? Is there anything else I can do for him other than frequent water changes, aquarium salt, and stress coat?
Attached Images

ksage505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 04:51 PM   #2 
cajunamy
Banned

Please tell me that's food near his gill in the first pic lol

He looks like he maybe bit his fins or got in a fight, maybe even fin rot - but! They are growing back in and look nice and clear. whatever you're doing, keep doing it :)
cajunamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 04:55 PM   #3 
EverythingNice55

It kind of looks like fin rot to me. You can treat your betta for fin rot if you are absolutatly sure that it really is fin rot. I hope he gets better. Beautiful betta by the way. Good luck!
EverythingNice55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 04:56 PM   #4 
EverythingNice55

That chunk doesn't really look like food LOL! I hope it is food! LOL!
Old 09-19-2011, 04:59 PM   #5 
Indyfishy

Hmmm i don't see any fin rot, the clear ends are just new growth. It's hard to tell what caused the tears in the first place, but with clean water they will grow back in nicely =)
Indyfishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 05:16 PM   #6 
ksage505

LOL yes, its food! He didn't want to be still for pictures so I fed him in hopes of getting him to be still for a bit. Thank you all for your opinions. I'll keep a close eye on him and keep up with the stress coat, a little aquarium salt, and clean as possible water. I really love his colors, I think he will turn out really nice once back healthy but hes got quite a bit of growing to do!
ksage505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 05:19 PM   #7 
EverythingNice55

Food? OK! LOL! Just making sure!!
Old 09-19-2011, 05:49 PM   #8 
MistersMom

What is “Fin Rot”??!!??
I think 1 of my male bettas (Mister) may have it but idrk. i treat him almost every day with that blue stuff i even give him 1 extra drop. i have 3 bettas Mister, Sister, & Sir.... Mister is in a 10 gal. tank and sis and sir r in a 1 gal tank each. im new 2 this im 15 an im hopeing 2 gt 1 more betta,any names???i like goofy names. any way fin rot???
MistersMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 07:57 PM   #9 
charlotte

i go to walmart and pick the ones in the worst condition to try and save too! i got a couple today who are in the same condition. i treat them the same way so hopefully thats the right way to go. hes very cute, good luck!
charlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 09:42 PM   #10 
MistersMom

OKAY THANK YOU FOR TELLING ME WHAT FIN ROT IS!?!?!?!?!!!!!!?!! y is it tht every 1 on here seems to ignore people!??!??!??!...oh and i only buy sickish looking fish too........
MistersMom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fin, rot