Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-20-2011, 10:56 PM   #1 
ManInBlack2010

too hot for betta?

would 85F be too hot? i know its supposed to be between like 76-80... my new guy Rebel is in a 1.5 betta bowl in qt before i put him in the 10g divided tank with hank and i wanted to get a little heater for him 'cause i keep my room cold. i got this heater at petco, can't remember the name and i threw away the package but it was something along the lines of this:
http://www.petco.com/product/111886/...t=OnSiteSearch

but for fish... it is slid under the gravel in the bowl and it heats the water 5 degrees above room temp... well it's been accurately keeping it at 80 since i got it about 3 days ago but i come home from work today and the thermometer was at 85. i shut the heater off for a bit to let it cool a little. should i be worried or is 85 an ok temperature?
ManInBlack2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 11:02 PM   #2 
TonyK

85 isn't extreme but I would definitely try to get it down some.
TonyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 11:07 PM   #3 
ManInBlack2010

ok thanks... he is acting normal for him right now... he likes to dart around a lot, i've never seen such an active little fishy. i think he's finally figured out how to swim after living in those cramped cups his whole life, just wait till he gets in the 10g divided :)
ManInBlack2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 11:14 PM   #4 
TonyK

When I first got into Bettas. Before I really researched them. I had 2 in a couple of canning jars unheated, unfiltered. When I put them in a divided 10 they came to life. It's amazing how much personality they have when you give them some room.

I'm sure someone else will have a better answer for you about the temp. From my experience, when I need to put them in a QT tank I move them into my snake room. The room is usually 85 to 88 degrees so I'm sure the water is pretty warm in that room and I didn't have any problems.
TonyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 12:03 AM   #5 
Pataflafla

85 is ok for a betta. A little high in their preferred zone, but it's ok. It's more of a treatment temperature for ick and the like, but for now he'll be fine. I don't think you'll have any ill side effects unless you kept him in that temperature for a majority of his life.
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 09:09 AM   #6 
missm83

i got a similar heater for my 2.5gallon..i turn it on at night cuz thats when the tep drops . i wake up in the middle of the night to make sure it not to hot..it seems to go up to 82-83.. im def going to get one i can set to a certain temp i dont trust this one to much..im afraid to leave it on when im not home
my boy seems to love the wormer water tho
missm83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 10:07 AM   #7 
Myates

You just have to keep an eye on the temps to make sure there isn't a drastic change in the temp. If it drops/raises too fast then it can cause symptoms similar to SBD. You don't really want more then 1-2 degree change in a short amount of time.

Also, a lot of preset heaters can easily raise to higher temps then what it is "preset" at, so just keep an eye on it.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 04:07 PM   #8 
Trobar

I made fish cubes out of treated tap water to add to my fish tank when the weather got too hot. Worked like a charm. If this is going to be a constant battle due to weather, make a bunch and put into a zippy bag and label.
Trobar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 06:26 PM   #9 
Ajones108

I have a hydor theo in my 10g angelfish tank with 1 angelfish and it's set to 80 degrees. If the house temperature goes above 75 degrees the heater shoots the tank up to 84 degrees. My other heaters keep my tanks at a solid 80, but if my bettas get up to 86 I get worried. If this temperature is going to be a long-term thing make sure you are feeding your betta enough to keep up with it's sped-up metabolism. But if you can't keep the tank below 85 without constantly adding ice cubes, you could be stressing your fish out by putting in ice and fluctuating the temperature TOO much.
Ajones108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 05:32 PM   #10 
Hooperman42

My betta thrives in 80 degree 20 gallon palace with live plants, filter, heater and a bunch of cory cats that could care less about him. He still tries to impress them and they just walk away. Id stick to 80. I messed with that dang heater and tried several and have it at 80 almost 24X7 now. I just dont TOUCH THAT KNOB!
Hooperman42 is offline   Reply With Quote