Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-19-2011, 05:25 PM   #11 
Pitluvs

Maybe people think they are dull because they only see them in less than good pet stores all stressed out and grey. My LPS has a tank full of females, only like 3 of them have color.

My first betta was a female, Angel. She was a red cambodian girl that got shipped to my store by mistake. I took her home and treated her like a male with her own tank. That was 8 years ago.
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 05:45 PM   #12 
Sena Hansler

My female, only in natural light, shows her lovely purple!! I am going to have a purple one!! And the other, has light blue, one doesn't have a color and another is pink :) cannot wait.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 05:49 PM   #13 
EverythingNice55

They certainly are NOT ugly! Whoever says that they are, they are very wrong! I love female bettas! I really wish that I could get one!!
EverythingNice55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 05:50 PM   #14 
Sena Hansler

I have five females lol. If you lived near me, I'd be willing to let you have one... when they are older lol.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 06:44 PM   #15 
Myates

I have been wanting a female for a while now, have my males, but just want a girl. =)
Unfortunately the only store out here who sells females is Walmart, and every time I go in, all that are left are the females and they are dead or close to it =(
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 06:46 PM   #16 
BettaMiah

Becuse they are compared to the males. And yes, the males are generally 'prettier'. But by no means are females uglier. They can have just as good colors, actually.
BettaMiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 07:03 PM   #17 
LittleBettaFish

Around here it is very rare to find females that aren't blue/red veiltails in your LFS. They are not exactly as visually appealing as the males, particularly when housed together, where their colours usually fade due to stress.

Also, a lot of females I've seen for sale in my LFS have had below average form, making them even less attractive to customers. Personally, if I was a beginning aquarist, I wouldn't want a beaten up, dull-coloured fish when I could choose a nicely-marked male with huge fins.

Of course nowadays I would go with a female over a male anytime. They're so much better care and personality wise. Also since I can source females from overseas and reputable breeders, there is a wider range of colours and quality to choose from.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 07:39 PM   #18 
Silverfang

When not kept in a stressful environment, they can be absolutely gorgeous. My girls are bright and vibrant. And then they're personality!
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 07:49 PM   #19 
Moon

Hey anyone there
Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 08:48 PM   #20 
bahamut285

It's sexual dimorphism. Males evolved to be the more attractive of the species. This happens with any animal that exhibits sexual dimorphism, i.e. peacocks, lions, antlered animals, etc. Females of the above listed species generally look dull coloured and plain.

As for the aesthetics, it's because humans view the majority of fish to be high-maintenance decorations, and said decorations *must* be "pretty". It is subjective.

Many people have pointed it out, that the ladies look very brown, dull and lifeless in the shops; meanwhile the males are (sometimes) bright, flaring, going crazy. Bettas are marketed to be "those fighting fish", so it's also a testosterone thing, you pick up a male because you'd think it would fight better.

Again, it's all subjective and different perspectives :P
bahamut285 is offline   Reply With Quote