Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
Closed Thread

Old 09-19-2011, 01:35 PM   #11 
nochoramet

Yes bonded bunnies are extremely adorable <3 but they have to be a spayed/nuetered couple or else it will get pretty violent. And it's friggen hard to bond buns (especially same sex pairs) , I've tried before and failed. Other than my lop pair who were brother and sister so they just stayed together from birth except to be sterilized, I've just kept my buns apart.

But I agree about the attention part. All domesticated animals need social interaction or they turn to destructive, violent behaviors.

Last edited by nochoramet; 09-19-2011 at 01:36 PM. Reason: left out a word .__.
Old 09-19-2011, 01:38 PM   #12 
cajunamy
Banned

you said 'even if that means keeping lights over them ' for heating. which means at night time, you'd have to keep the lights on for them to stay warm.

and you also said 'even if it means keeping the whole store warm' which would have to be at least 80F for the water to be around 76-77F

And would you stop yelling at those trying to help you? You're not going to get sunshine and rainbows all the time, we're trying to help you even though you see it otherwise. We're trying to show you the reality of it. I think it's funny you yell at me (I'M STILL IN RESEARCH MODE) but for nochoramet you say Thank you. I'm sorry if you're mad at me for just trying to show you the reality of things, and not just saying go for it! when you don't have all the realities. We're not trying to crush your dreams, we're trying to show you the reality of it so you're not shocked when certain things come to pass. Like bills.
Old 09-19-2011, 01:39 PM   #13 
Sena Hansler

Quote:
Originally Posted by nochoramet View Post
Yes bonded bunnies are extremely adorable <3 but they have to be a spayed/nuetered couple or else it will get pretty violent. And it's friggen hard to bond buns (especially same sex pairs) , I've tried before and failed. Other than my lop pair who were brother and sister so they just stayed together from birth except to be sterilized, I've just kept my buns apart.

But I agree about the attention part. All domesticated animals need social interaction or they turn to destructive, violent behaviors.

exactly :) Also, I will note the pet store here has a breeding pair of hamsters. They have such lovely temperments!!! I was lucky enough to get one of their babies!!! Osamu He has their temperament, and it's wonderful. But now, he has learned it's okay for me to touch him, I won't hurt him.
Doesn't take much to earn trust. But getting trust BACK is usually the problem. So, the pets have to be cared for.

I think the most expensive part actually, will be the fish. All the tanks, the lights, the filters, the heaters, the live fish, the equipment, and electricity.
I may just start small for the fish side, perhaps. That actually can cut initial startup price from 2-5 grand, or more :p
Old 09-19-2011, 01:39 PM   #14 
Pitluvs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sena Hansler View Post
There are no chainstores, again, I repeat :p And I would love to breed some of the animals myself... or in the case of mollies, platys and such they breed themselves I would love to breed my own bettas, which then I can gaurentee some pretty good and darn decent store bettas

And I can make lots of stuff myself too.
I made my post before everyone else, I had to do emergency water change and hit send when I got back. Hence why it now says I removed my post :) I make pet bedding for my own critters, its a lot of work. To be able to sell commercially you need insurance, what would you do if someone's pet tangled their leg in a loose thread? They could sue you for everything you have. Trust me, other than fish, small and furries are my specialty I've owned for 10yrs. When I make stuff for local club members, they sign a waver to use my bedding so that I am not responsible for any misuse of my product.

It's not something you cant do though, but there are lots of loops holes and legalities you'll have to consider. I'd love to have a fish store myself but its not a good adventure for my pocket book LOL

And yes, stop being so hostile. It shows great immaturity. We're not bringing your dream down but showing you what's involved so you can prepare.

Last edited by Pitluvs; 09-19-2011 at 01:43 PM.
Old 09-19-2011, 01:39 PM   #15 
Luimeril

we're not saying "don't do it". we're saying "it's gonna be hard".

Pet Lovers often keeps HMs in the half-gallon betta tanks, as well as the fancier ones(Theo was in one, sometimes the prettier Veils and DTs, Caroline and a bright red gal were in a divided one when i got Caroline), and the veils are often in the tanks with friendly tetras, guppies, platies, ect. that's an option. while they DO sell the 'betta tanks', they don't say "they can live just fine in this, with little water changes!". nah. they know their stuff. i LOVE chatting betta with them. x:
Old 09-19-2011, 01:40 PM   #16 
Sena Hansler

Quote:
Originally Posted by cajunamy View Post
you said 'even if that means keeping lights over them ' for heating. which means at night time, you'd have to keep the lights on for them to stay warm.

and you also said 'even if it means keeping the whole store warm' which would have to be at least 80F for the water to be around 76-77F

And would you stop yelling at those trying to help you? You're not going to get sunshine and rainbows all the time, we're trying to help you even though you see it otherwise. We're trying to show you the reality of it. I think it's funny you yell at me (I'M STILL IN RESEARCH MODE) but for nochoramet you say Thank you. I'm sorry if you're mad at me for just trying to show you the reality of things, and not just saying go for it! when you don't have all the realities. We're not trying to crush your dreams, we're trying to show you the reality of it so you're not shocked when certain things come to pass. Like bills.
Sorry that it seemed liked yelling. Next time I shall use I am still in research mode Which FYI I forgot you could even do. okay?
sorry
Old 09-19-2011, 01:41 PM   #17 
Creat

I know of a lot of small chain stores that have made it only because they carry specialty fish. And I mean really rare fish that run upwards of 200$ for one fish. And they only reason they exist is because the two co-owners have managed to make tons of connections across the west coast for specialty pets. I suggest picking a niche market. Are specialty fish in high demand? would carrying dog/cat supplies boot sales? what is the market in the area I mean every market is different for me around here there is a large demand for large dog care. Also as for birds... bird care at least small birds are easier to sell and manage and breed like finches and canaries and parakeets. Large birds like conures and parrots I do not recommend they require a lot of time and space and dont sell quickly. Remember that everything but fish is going to require a reputable vet to check on them.
Old 09-19-2011, 01:42 PM   #18 
Sena Hansler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luimeril View Post
we're not saying "don't do it". we're saying "it's gonna be hard".

Pet Lovers often keeps HMs in the half-gallon betta tanks, as well as the fancier ones(Theo was in one, sometimes the prettier Veils and DTs, Caroline and a bright red gal were in a divided one when i got Caroline), and the veils are often in the tanks with friendly tetras, guppies, platies, ect. that's an option. while they DO sell the 'betta tanks', they don't say "they can live just fine in this, with little water changes!". nah. they know their stuff. i LOVE chatting betta with them. x:
I am glad you have a store like that. Here, they say "ohh a litre? perfect!!! oh? betta with barbs? sure!!!"

D:

I would love to have some of the bettas in with some other fish like the blind cave tetra, or neon tetras, or some of the less nippy fishies that eve the betta cannot harm (depends on the betta). And I would check on the bettas, in those tanks, makng sure (unlike this store who leaves them til all that is left is a body) their fins are not being eaten lol
Old 09-19-2011, 01:42 PM   #19 
cajunamy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sena Hansler View Post
exactly :) Also, I will note the pet store here has a breeding pair of hamsters. They have such lovely temperments!!! I was lucky enough to get one of their babies!!! Osamu He has their temperament, and it's wonderful. But now, he has learned it's okay for me to touch him, I won't hurt him.
Doesn't take much to earn trust. But getting trust BACK is usually the problem. So, the pets have to be cared for.

I think the most expensive part actually, will be the fish. All the tanks, the lights, the filters, the heaters, the live fish, the equipment, and electricity.
I may just start small for the fish side, perhaps. That actually can cut initial startup price from 2-5 grand, or more :p
You're forgetting rent. Rent and electricity are going to be recurring monthly bills, that will cost you somewhere around $3000 or more.
Old 09-19-2011, 01:44 PM   #20 
Sena Hansler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creat View Post
I know of a lot of small chain stores that have made it only because they carry specialty fish. And I mean really rare fish that run upwards of 200$ for one fish. And they only reason they exist is because the two co-owners have managed to make tons of connections across the west coast for specialty pets. I suggest picking a niche market. Are specialty fish in high demand? would carrying dog/cat supplies boot sales? what is the market in the area I mean every market is different for me around here there is a large demand for large dog care. Also as for birds... bird care at least small birds are easier to sell and manage and breed like finches and canaries and parakeets. Large birds like conures and parrots I do not recommend they require a lot of time and space and dont sell quickly. Remember that everything but fish is going to require a reputable vet to check on them.
yep dog clothes and such are a high seller... just who wants to pay 60 dollars for a coat? not everyone. And I can make my own, and even do speciality ones for certain people (one size could almost fit a bishon, but maybe his shoulders are wider?) for a better price, as I can get affordable stuff that is nice :) Small birds, yes, big birds like a parrot no. Not very many people have room for large birds. They have room for a canary, or a finch :)

Cajun, we'll assume the rent is 1000-1500 per month as in this area that's basically a good size building (1000 sq.ft or up for that price). Leasing, NOOOO idea D: lol probably the same.

But... My question is initial start up costs??? If I can't figure out the first startup cost I won't even get to the part of rent and utilities.
Closed Thread