Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
Closed Thread

Old 09-19-2011, 02:47 PM   #21 
Luimeril

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creat View Post
I know of a lot of small chain stores that have made it only because they carry specialty fish. And I mean really rare fish that run upwards of 200$ for one fish. And they only reason they exist is because the two co-owners have managed to make tons of connections across the west coast for specialty pets. I suggest picking a niche market. Are specialty fish in high demand? would carrying dog/cat supplies boot sales? what is the market in the area I mean every market is different for me around here there is a large demand for large dog care. Also as for birds... bird care at least small birds are easier to sell and manage and breed like finches and canaries and parakeets. Large birds like conures and parrots I do not recommend they require a lot of time and space and dont sell quickly. Remember that everything but fish is going to require a reputable vet to check on them.
that part about the parrots is true. i mentioned that trickster parrot... he's been there over a year, because he's so big and costs so much. on the other hand, they sell African Greys, and smaller birds like parakeets, ect, REALLY fast. there's one parrot my mom adores, but his price tag, BY HIMSELF, is over $700! then, you need over a thousand for the cage, a bunch of toys, seed and 'bird kibble'... he's been there about as long as the bigger parrot, but he's super friendly. he just.... costs too much for anyone to buy.
Old 09-19-2011, 02:47 PM   #22 
Creat

If I were you I would start out small and do a specialty freshwater fish store. Get in touch with breeders of rare or difficult to obtain fish and good plants, start just by doing that keep it small and simple if it works let the store grow. Retail is difficult very difficult. Marine fish are hard to sell also so if you do have a marine section keep it small but simple. Also if you do go with just fish they will be easier to market online too.
Old 09-19-2011, 02:51 PM   #23 
Luimeril

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creat View Post
If I were you I would start out small and do a specialty freshwater fish store. Get in touch with breeders of rare or difficult to obtain fish and good plants, start just by doing that keep it small and simple if it works let the store grow. Retail is difficult very difficult. Marine fish are hard to sell also so if you do have a marine section keep it small but simple. Also if you do go with just fish they will be easier to market online too.
one of my dreams, thats' way in the back, is to open a fish store. <3 fish are really popular here(c'mon. they sell over 20 bettas, in a week. that shows how popular fish are here), so i think it'd do very well.

but... it'd be hard to do. so many species, so many different needs. i know cichlids and other fish that get "fricken huge" are popular here(they had a 3 foot Arowana once. SCARY! and they get large dinner plate-sized Oscars often that are then gone by the end of the week! Dx how do you carry something like that?!), and salt water's... popular-ish....

it'd be easier than a full-out pet store, but is it in demand? would it do well here? how hard would it be to do? so many questions. x-X
Old 09-19-2011, 02:51 PM   #24 
Sena Hansler

I am not doing marine fish yet. Because they 1. cost more 2. harder to sell >< A specialty fish store... wouldn't that be more expensive anyways?

And here, the main interests: space friendly fish (bettas), small animals for kids (hamsters), and mydogissospecialimustgethimacoat dog fashion :p So even if I do start small, it'll have what sells the best. It makes it better if I can do some of the stuff myself too :)

Plus, a specialty fish store... then the electricity goes up, water bill, buying the fish, buying tanks to use and sell....
Old 09-19-2011, 02:51 PM   #25 
nochoramet

That's a pretty good idea, Creat. And perhaps sell other pet supplies but just specialty freshwater fish as live animals. If you start out small and do a great job it may grow to something huge.
Old 09-19-2011, 02:53 PM   #26 
cajunamy
Banned

I think Creat's idea is probably the best.

You're right about rent, electricity will be about the same though. My electric bill to cool my home is a little over $300. Then you have to buy supplies for everything every month. That's probably another 1-2k.

For your fish, you'd probably be better off running an R/O unit so you can fix everyone's water to their specific needs with some added minerals and buffers. And using a giant sump filter for everything. Then keep bettas in 1/2 gallon or gallon jars, and clean them every other day.

My small, 90 gpd r/o unit was $200. A commercial one you're looking into thousands.

Oh and ... just b/c you drop the caps, your sarcasm to me still comes raging through.

eta: also, are you really going to be able to have time to make the doggy fashions AND run the business? I barely have time to keep up with my fish tanks and my household (which in a manner of speaking is my business). If the fashions takes off and demand for that is really high, it'd be hard to keep up with that demand.

Last edited by cajunamy; 09-19-2011 at 02:55 PM.
Old 09-19-2011, 02:53 PM   #27 
Sena Hansler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luimeril View Post
one of my dreams, thats' way in the back, is to open a fish store. <3 fish are really popular here(c'mon. they sell over 20 bettas, in a week. that shows how popular fish are here), so i think it'd do very well.

but... it'd be hard to do. so many species, so many different needs. i know cichlids and other fish that get "fricken huge" are popular here(they had a 3 foot Arowana once. SCARY! and they get large dinner plate-sized Oscars often that are then gone by the end of the week! Dx how do you carry something like that?!), and salt water's... popular-ish....

it'd be easier than a full-out pet store, but is it in demand? would it do well here? how hard would it be to do? so many questions. x-X

lol yeah here, we estimated the store gets in 40 bettas. All but 5 usually sell, and only one in 10 females ever sell. That is in a half month to a month's time.
would it be easier than a full out store? well... I would have a small store to start with what I know sells pretty good. Is it in demand? what I am looking at having, most of it is. How hard? I don't know either D: lol
Old 09-19-2011, 02:54 PM   #28 
Luimeril

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sena Hansler View Post
I am not doing marine fish yet. Because they 1. cost more 2. harder to sell >< A specialty fish store... wouldn't that be more expensive anyways?

And here, the main interests: space friendly fish (bettas), small animals for kids (hamsters), and mydogissospecialimustgethimacoat dog fashion :p So even if I do start small, it'll have what sells the best. It makes it better if I can do some of the stuff myself too :)

Plus, a specialty fish store... then the electricity goes up, water bill, buying the fish, buying tanks to use and sell....
as i said in my post, think about which is gonna do better where you are. in my area, the pet stores do great, but fish seem to be popular, as well. i know of a few customers at Pet Lovers, who specalize in super exotic fish, like cichlids and the "fricken huge" fish(that scare the crap outta me, tbh), so in MY area, a fish store would do pretty well. try talking to the people at petSmart. see what's popular, what's not, what sells quickest. that'd give you a good idea of what to stock.
Old 09-19-2011, 02:55 PM   #29 
Sena Hansler

Quote:
Originally Posted by cajunamy View Post
I think Creat's idea is probably the best.

You're right about rent, electricity will be about the same though. My electric bill to cool my home is a little over $300. Then you have to buy supplies for everything every month. That's probably another 1-2k.

For your fish, you'd probably be better off running an R/O unit so you can fix everyone's water to their specific needs with some added minerals and buffers. And using a giant sump filter for everything. Then keep bettas in 1/2 gallon or gallon jars, and clean them every other day.

My small, 90 gpd r/o unit was $200. A commercial one you're looking into thousands.

Oh and ... just b/c you drop the caps, your sarcasm to me still comes raging through.

eta: also, are you really going to be able to have time to make the doggy fashions AND run the business? I barely have time to keep up with my fish tanks and my household (which in a manner of speaking is my business)

sarcasm? in the "forgot I could do that" with the bolding of letters? No. I did forget because I do use my ipod and the bolding doesn't come up as an option half the time. It does the "advanced message" button or whatever which takes forever to load.
But okay then...
Old 09-19-2011, 02:57 PM   #30 
Sena Hansler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luimeril View Post
as i said in my post, think about which is gonna do better where you are. in my area, the pet stores do great, but fish seem to be popular, as well. i know of a few customers at Pet Lovers, who specalize in super exotic fish, like cichlids and the "fricken huge" fish(that scare the crap outta me, tbh), so in MY area, a fish store would do pretty well. try talking to the people at petSmart. see what's popular, what's not, what sells quickest. that'd give you a good idea of what to stock.
.... what petsmart? o.o there is no petsmart here. an hour and a half drive and 25-40 dollars of gas later there is.

Here, the Albino Oscar who was bigger than a dinner plate (nyaah D: ) never sold because... well... where would you keep him?? lol. Here it's small animals, freshwater fish, colorful fish, friendly animals, cats and dogs :p plus fashion, treats, organic foods....
Closed Thread