Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-19-2011, 11:44 AM   #1 
ireland

Breeding/rearing betta in a rice patty?

I was talking to one of my friend, whom is a betta enthuse as well, today and he tells me that they grow rice every summer. It was then that the idea came to us both. Could it be possible or even recommended to breed/grow betta out in the rice patty during summer?
ireland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 12:02 PM   #2 
Sena Hansler

You technically could... but they would have to be plakats, or better yet the wild betta who can be together in groups without much of a problem. You couldn't have betta splendens, male and females in that kind of group. Also, it depends on the temperature... and if you have a place to keep them all when it gets cold (if it gets cold). It CAN be done, and plus depending where you are mosquitos would be lessened xD

I'd say, it is possible. But, groups of bettas probably only the wild types, or F1 bettas. you could try, if you really wanted to. Just as long as you are willing to put forth the effort and the money :p
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 03:13 PM   #3 
JAB91

Which part if the world would you be attempting this?
JAB91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 03:15 PM   #4 
Sena Hansler

Looks to me like North Carolina? if that is where you are situated, and plan to that is :p
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 03:42 PM   #5 
MrVampire181

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sena Hansler View Post
You technically could... but they would have to be plakats, or better yet the wild betta who can be together in groups without much of a problem. You couldn't have betta splendens, male and females in that kind of group. Also, it depends on the temperature... and if you have a place to keep them all when it gets cold (if it gets cold). It CAN be done, and plus depending where you are mosquitos would be lessened xD

I'd say, it is possible. But, groups of bettas probably only the wild types, or F1 bettas. you could try, if you really wanted to. Just as long as you are willing to put forth the effort and the money :p
Um long finned bettas do fine outdoors...and males and females can be kept together in larger set ups (or smaller depending on relationship with other fish....once dominanace is established the fish are peaceful). And why can he keep plakats but not splendens? Thats a big contradiction.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 04:00 PM   #6 
fightergirl2710

I think she must have meant wild types that can live in pairs and such.. :/
fightergirl2710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 04:24 PM   #7 
MrVampire181

So can regular long finned splendens in the proper set up. I've had several males and even more females in one kiddy pool and I hardly had any issues. It's all about space and amount of hiding places. If there is room for each male to have a territory (within a few feet from each other) it's fine. Also this is more about growing the fish out...they're gonna live together for several week anyway and the more space the longer they remain peaceful (often well into adulthood).
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 05:01 PM   #8 
ireland

Hmm the idea is looking better and better.

Yes I do plan to so this in North Carolina, but the project is postpone until warmer season. I've gone to my friends rice patty once. It was about an acre or two, the waters knee deep, and full mosquito.
Old 09-19-2011, 05:03 PM   #9 
cajunamy
Banned

I'd personally rather do it in a more controlled environment like a tank or a huge 30 gal container.
cajunamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 05:17 PM   #10 
ireland

True, the only issue here is control. We would have no control whatsoever and not to mention a harvesting method efficient enough to gather all fry.