Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-15-2011, 03:25 PM   #1 
Princess Penny

Shrimp or snail?

Here's my tank, it's 6.6gal.

I had divided it and got another betta, but he died while in QT. I'm still pretty depressed about that, and I decided to scrap the divider thing all together.

I don't have a HUGE algae problem but there is a little starting to grow on the flower pots. So I was looking to get some advice. Would a shrimp or a snail be best for my tank? I used to have a mystery snail in my 20gal, but I've never had shrimp. I hear they are good for the algae too though. (I can also provide algae wafers, as I know the algae growing in the tank is hardly enough by itself) From what I've read, nerite snails and ghost shrimp seem like the better choices? I will probably order online though, so I can get other types too if they are better!

Oh and I do plan on adding more plants to my tank for more cover. I just haven't been able to buy any yet. (Probably going to the LFS tonight or tomorrow!)
Princess Penny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 03:40 PM   #2 
dragonflie

It really depends on the type of algae. Among all the fish and snails and shrimp species that consume algae; they do it in varying amounts, and prefer or only eat certain kinds. ;)

How new is the tank?
dragonflie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 04:04 PM   #3 
Princess Penny

It looks like your normal green algae if there is such a thing? lol It looks the same as what I had in my other tank. /unhelpful
I can try to get a picture tonight when I get home!

I've had the tank for a few weeks now. The crypts are doing good, I bought one plant and as you can see I've been able to split it quite a few times already!

Last edited by Princess Penny; 09-15-2011 at 04:06 PM.
Old 09-16-2011, 06:06 AM   #4 
snoopy

Two days ago I bought 4 cherry schrimps and there is no problem with my Betta, also I have a nerite snail in my 10 gallon tank.
snoopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 08:19 AM   #5 
GreenTea

Dude, get a mystery snail! They are monsters for any kind of algae and wont eat your live plants. Because you have a filter their bioload shouldnt be an issue, and they come in lavender (what they call blue), marigold yellow, milk white, and dark brown with neat spots (what they call black.)

They move fast and are adorable, and I think 99 cents - 2 dollars at fish stores or places like petsmart or petco.
GreenTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 04:08 AM   #6 
thePWNISHER

I enjoy my snails, he's just like the pet dog, sits under the dinner table waiting for any crumbs to fall his way. I believe shrimp are the same way, so really its just personal choice. Shrimp have the tendency to get eaten if they are small as ghost or cherry shrimp, snails have a little higher bioload but a 6.6 with no one else but a betta would be ideal for either you choose.
thePWNISHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 12:28 PM   #7 
TonyK

With shrimp you might want to add more plants for them to hide in.
TonyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 04:19 PM   #8 
Princess Penny

I got two ghost shrimp and one has already died and the other is MIA. Think I will probably go get a snail today, lol.