Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-19-2011, 05:45 PM   #1 
londongirl

Male kept with females ............ WTH

An old friend of mine has recently found out that i've got betta fish n has offered me hers (she has 6- 1 male n 5 females). I said i cant take them as i only have 1 empty tank n id have 2 quarantine them 1st + integrate the females with my other females, anyway after talking to her for awhile she turned round n told me that she keeps her male n 5 females together in the same tank n has had no problems, fights, illnesses or fin nipping whilst they've been together apparently they where kept together when she brought them n so she thought it was alright. Apparently when she tried 2 separate the male from females he started fin nipping himself which turned into fin rot.

My question is if i change my mind and take them would i be able to separate them as they'd be in a new tank ??
londongirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 05:54 PM   #2 
Sena Hansler

One, very unusual for them to get along - but hey it's not unheard of (you will get messages saying "impossible"). Fin nipping can be because of boredom, too you know and other problems. Anyways, if that tank she has is heavily heavily planted then yeah might work... but otherwise... whaaaaaaat? o_O

You could try getting them, and see if they will separate. remember integrating new females to a sorority can be hard :)
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 06:06 PM   #3 
Oldfishlady

While its not recommend to keep males and females together...it can be done in the right setup and if they are related-especially spawn siblings that have never been separate......however, this too can be problematic-even siblings can can become aggressive as they mature...usually its the male that get the bad end of the deal when more than one female is kept with him....females can be more aggressive sometimes especially when they want to spawn and the male doesn't comply....the girls are much faster and agile than the long fin males......

If you do try this...and I don't recommend you do....have a back up plan and be able to watch them closely....use at least 20gal filtered tank that has lots of stuff in it...either live or fake plants that go all the way to the top in at least 3 different locations (to kill the line of sight)....
Bettas are surface dwelling species and need a way to the top without being seen....
Using a 10gal may or may not work-unless it was really heavy planted...jungle like planted......

Again, I don't recommend it....more often than not...it ends badly.....your friend was most likely successful because she started with siblings since she reported that they had always been kept together when she got them.....it may not be as successful for you......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 06:45 PM   #4 
londongirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
While its not recommend to keep males and females together...it can be done in the right setup and if they are related-especially spawn siblings that have never been separate......however, this too can be problematic-even siblings can can become aggressive as they mature...usually its the male that get the bad end of the deal when more than one female is kept with him....females can be more aggressive sometimes especially when they want to spawn and the male doesn't comply....the girls are much faster and agile than the long fin males......

If you do try this...and I don't recommend you do....have a back up plan and be able to watch them closely....use at least 20gal filtered tank that has lots of stuff in it...either live or fake plants that go all the way to the top in at least 3 different locations (to kill the line of sight)....
Bettas are surface dwelling species and need a way to the top without being seen....
Using a 10gal may or may not work-unless it was really heavy planted...jungle like planted......

Again, I don't recommend it....more often than not...it ends badly.....your friend was most likely successful because she started with siblings since she reported that they had always been kept together when she got them.....it may not be as successful for you......

I'm not sure if they are siblings or not she didn't say but she did also say that she's had them that way for the past 3 years n there in a planted 10 gal filtered tank, she said she's offering me them cos she wants to divide the tank in 3 n get 3 males which I've told her I don't think is a good idea due 2 its size shed be best of halving it.
londongirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 08:05 PM   #5 
Kytkattin

For her wanting to divide it into 3s, that is fine. Many people on the forum do so. I currently have 2 divided in a 5 gallon. They actually end up with more space in a 10 divided in 3s. I just don't care for how it looks.
Kytkattin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 08:22 PM   #6 
Cascademaster

I recently started a sorority, it has 4 females, and one male (sorry to the people who I told I wouldn't do that), the tanks got plenty of hiding places, and is heavily planted. There was some fighting going on originally; mainly the girls establishing dominance. The male is definitely the alpha of the tank, and he got in a fight with one of the girls over an decoration, which I took out temporarily. I put the decoration back and there hasn't been any fighting since. I just started the sorority so anything could happen still, but so far the tank is doing great, I havn't had to quarantine anybody yet :)

I guess what I'm trying to say is that keeping males and females is possible, but I also really think it depends on the temperament of the fish itself, the male I had never flared up or showed any signs of aggression before I put the other fish in there. I have a Betta in a separate tank and he is always flaring up and he even kills the poor snails that live in his tank. I'd never put him in a tank with other Bettas.
Cascademaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 11:16 AM   #7 
Sena Hansler

It is possible. I mean I could see one of my used-to-have mellower than a doorknob males not having a problen with the females.... I could heavily plant the tank and all would be "fine"....

But it's one particular female who would have a problem with him lmao. She tore through Leo's (balloon molly) sailfin, and she split Rose's tail >< She definitely become more of a bully... I know it CAN be done, but personally I won't because I don't want to be away for an hour, and come back to torn fins and missing eyes because someone got into a fight over a plant xD

My Madame has also pestered my apple snail to death, literally. He died a couple days ago :(
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 01:26 PM   #8 
WiccanWisdom
Banned

It is possible for a male to live with females. It all depends on the individual personalities of the fish involved. I don't recommend it, but I know people who have done it with no problems.

People with say it will never work, but IMO that's silly. Keeping bettas isn't black or white, there are a lot of grey areas, and what doesn't work for one person may work for another. Just be careful
WiccanWisdom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 01:31 PM   #9 
Moon

I have one living with a few now in peace with guppies and no fighting not even a little chase
Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 01:49 PM   #10 
ALS1104

when i was in elementary school a friend gave me her bettas- a boy and a girl, V/T's if i remember right and both super bright red... they were kept in tiny glass vases for decoration and not knowing any better when i got them home i put them in a big bowl and put them together and they never had any issues. i wish i would have known how to care for them better because they didnt live as long as they could have...
ALS1104 is offline   Reply With Quote