Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-20-2011, 08:31 AM   #11 
quyllur

I put pool filter sand in my new 20 gal long. I bought one bag for about $15 and I still have well over half of it left with about an inch of sand in the tank (that's a 20 gal long, so bigger footprint than a regular, thus more sand) I disagree with the person who said you don't need to rinse it, although there is a possibility that some brands are cleaner then others. I gave mine a good rinse and I still had cloudiness when I filled my tank. I figured I'd let it sit for a few hours and see if it would settle but I got impatient after maybe 3 and just siphoned all the water out and then siphoned clean water back in. It took a long time, but luckily my tank is within siphon tube distance of my sink so no big mess. Still, I like it much better and I think it looks really nice with plants and a scattering of large smooth stones or chunks of rock.
quyllur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 09:46 AM   #12 
fightergirl2710

I don't mean that you don't need to rinse it at all, you just don't need to do it as much as normal aquarium use sand..
fightergirl2710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 11:26 AM   #13 
snoopy

I recommend you Dupla Ground is a clayey substrate very good and very decorative, Here there is a picture I took this afternoon.

Is the same substrate, but when I cleaned the substrate straining the substrate with a colander. The thickest is below and the other above.
snoopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 11:29 AM   #14 
fightergirl2710

Don't clay substrates tend to get cloudy? I've heard this in places so I thought I should confirm. :)
Old 09-20-2011, 02:02 PM   #15 
Kiere

Ok, so now I am all interested in changing my substrate to sand. I have some Vallisneria and a moss ball. I have never used any fertalizers and littlebittyfish mentioned that you should use root tabs if you use sand and have plants. Can you please elaborate on this? Would this be necessary with my plants? Also my tank has no lid, would a snail escape?
Kiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 02:13 PM   #16 
fightergirl2710

It depends on what kind of plants you keep, whether you need liquid ferts or root tabs.. Plants like amazon swords, vals (I think) need root tabs, they're little tablets that you put under the roots in the substrate because these plants take in more nutrition through the roots... I don't use these because I mostly have stem plants like cabomba, wisteria and bacopa... They absorb nutrition from the water not from the roots. For these I use liquid fertilisers.. They work great for me. :)

This is just my understanding of plants I could be wrong. You can check out Pew PewPew's plant guide, it will give way more info. :)
Old 09-20-2011, 05:43 PM   #17 
snoopy

Quote:
Originally Posted by fightergirl2710 View Post
Don't clay substrates tend to get cloudy? I've heard this in places so I thought I should confirm. :)
If you wash the substrate, you wont have problem with that. Dupla have to be wash with hot water and the aesthetics is amazing.

When I change my substrate I will upload photos.
Old 09-20-2011, 05:45 PM   #18 
fightergirl2710

Do that, I haven't seen clay substrate being sold here, i would love to see how the outcome is. :D
Old 09-20-2011, 06:00 PM   #19 
snoopy

Quote:
Originally Posted by fightergirl2710 View Post
Do that, I haven't seen clay substrate being sold here, i would love to see how the outcome is. :D
Here there are some examples; (This weekend o next week I will show you the mine :))

Old 09-20-2011, 06:06 PM   #20 
snoopy

By the way, Akadama is very similar to Dupla Ground but more "dirty" and cheaper, and Im sure that in India is sold, because is the bonsai substrate and you could find it in a greenhouse.