Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-19-2011, 06:05 PM   #1 
ksage505

Question How many fry usually survive?

I know the amount of fry from a spawn can range greatly, but I was wondering how many fry usually make it into adulthood?
ksage505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 10:12 PM   #2 
Sena Hansler

They can have up to 500 eggs/fry. Usually, from what I have seen, anywhere between... I guess 5 and 70 would survive - perhaps some with deformities, or all very healthy. Even if there is a lower number.. it is not always your fault, it could just be the batch, so it's okay.

If you are worried about having too many, remember that you are supposed to cull those with illness and deformities that are irriversible to "help the betta splenden" genes. Also, I would suggest getting at least 60 containments for the males (you can start with 20, or 30, then work your way up, but this is when the fry show aggression or are being bullied)
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 10:51 PM   #3 
cajunamy
Banned

My first spawn there were probably 150 eggs, and 77 survived.

My second spawn there were well over 200 eggs and I have no idea how many are in there now. I only ever see around 5 at one time, but I think they are just extremely good at hide and seek
cajunamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 10:53 PM   #4 
Pitluvs

And THAT is why I opted not to breed! Haha I have 50 fish in 5 tanks, I couldn't imagine that many babies. Of they had like 10-20, maybe. Way to go cajun!
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 11:00 PM   #5 
Sena Hansler

It ranges from spawn to spawn :)
Old 09-19-2011, 11:13 PM   #6 
Pitluvs

I know ;)
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 08:01 AM   #7 
Mohan85

I think fry survival rate just depends on how well you take care of them... in my first spawn i had many fry die off on me in the first 2 weeks.. mainly because i lacked experience.. but in my second spawn.. I had a very low death rate and I think they're growing even faster than my first spawn!
Mohan85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 08:42 AM   #8 
Sena Hansler

It isn't just "how you take care of them", take in mind other factors such as power outage = lower water temperature, or the parent eating a few before you get him out, or deformities, or a disease that could wipe them out that you couldn't have foreseen or stopped :p
Old 09-20-2011, 11:25 AM   #9 
Mohan85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sena Hansler View Post
It isn't just "how you take care of them", take in mind other factors such as power outage = lower water temperature, or the parent eating a few before you get him out, or deformities, or a disease that could wipe them out that you couldn't have foreseen or stopped :p
Sorry I know it isn't just all about how you take care of them, I just meant it has a large part to do with it.

Yea if you live in a cold area and your power goes out for a long time and your water turns cold they can all die.. and yea if you feed them certain types of foods or didn't take care of the water very well there can be an outbreak of disease, and if you're not careful and don't keep a good eye on the dad he can eat all your fry up(but this can avoided) but besides disasters like that, if you take good care of your spawn.. they can all have a high survival rate and alot of them can make it to adulthood is all i'm trying to say.

some spawns will get alot of deformities and some spawns will get very little deformities, i think it depends on the parents.

so anyways to answer ksage's question.. there can be a large amount of fry that make it to adulthood or very little.. all depending on the spawn type.. the power outages ;P and how well they are taken care of.. if you search betta fry on youtube and follow the spawn log of some breeders.. you'll see that some breeders have very little fry that make it to adulthood while some breeders have fry in the hundreds that made it to adulthood.. so it really all just depends

here are some examples of breeders who successfully raised their fry to adulthood with a high survival rate.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYuN3...eature=related
and another
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kk5bw...eature=related

Last edited by Mohan85; 09-20-2011 at 11:42 AM.
Mohan85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 01:14 PM   #10 
Bambi

Some pairs may produce geneticly weker fry who won't live to adult hood. There are freak accident like power outages or earthquakes.

I had around 60 in one spawn, from 123(that i counted) eggs survive. And this time from around 50 or so eggs that made it to the nest, i have 7 fry(the dad was a fry eater, but it was his first spawn).

All i can say is, be prepared for a hundred but don't get your hopes up for more then half, especially your first couple spawns when you're getting your technique and feeding times and the right foods and all that figured out.
Bambi is offline   Reply With Quote