Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-14-2011, 01:57 PM   #1 
ThalesthePearsei

need some advice on betta care

Hello everyone, I got my first betta that I've had in a while. He's a red and purple scissor tail I named Picante. The last betta I had only lived a few months. I'm not sure wether it was because it was the tank I had him in (too much flow, the lighting, overfeeding, tank mates) or whatever but I want this guy to last forever.
Right now I have him in a 1 gallon bowl, a bit of gravel, driftwood, with a live java fern and long plastic grass. He's on a diet of frozen spirulina brine shrimp, freeze dried blood worms, and nutrifin betta flake....all fed sparingly of course. I have heard conflicting information regarding bloodworms. I have heard some people say that its a bettas natural diet and that's all they feed. Others say it makes them constipated and it should only be fed as a rare treat. I don't know what to believe, can someone clear this up?
I would like to put him in my 6 gallon edge tank (with the water level not filled all the way of course the bettas sake of course) but I am worried that the filter (the stock filter) creates too powerful of a current in the tank and may be too stressful. As I suspect may be what contributed to my previous bettas death. Does sensitivity to current apply to all bettas or does it depend on the personality? Perhaps I could put him in the tank and see how he adapts? Do bettas eventually adapt to flow? What signs of stress do I look for and at what point do i remove him and return him to the bowl? How can I tell if he's happy with the amount of flow? If he needs to be permanently kept in the bowl, are bettas happy in bowls?
Will he be ok with the halogen lighting on the edge tank? I also have 5 neon tetras in that tank, will they be compatable with him?
Also, I have also heard of using decaffineated green tea (1 bag per gallon) for bettas. Is this true?
Sorry for all the questions, I just want to take good care of the little dude, thanks for all the help in advance
ThalesthePearsei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 02:23 PM   #2 
betta89

ok so never feed freez dried only frozen and yes feed then blood worms for the filter get a fillter sponge it will stop the hard current also a 1 gal is too small im not shour if you can put them with neon tetras but i dont think so
betta89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 02:25 PM   #3 
betta89

if he is stressed he will have vertical stripes on him and do not put him in the tank untill you know its ok
Old 10-14-2011, 02:31 PM   #4 
betta89

bettas are best in tankes keep the temp at 73-80 degrees farenhight in his tank feed 3-4 pellets in the morning and a small pinch of flakes at night or a few blood worms
iv never herd of green tea and iv never used it and my bettas sre fine so i wouldent use it also use spring watter in the tank or tap watter with watter conditiner that gets rid of chemicals in the watter you can find this in the fish section
Old 10-14-2011, 03:23 PM   #5 
Myates

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThalesthePearsei View Post
Hello everyone, I got my first betta that I've had in a while.
Hi and welcome! Yay for new betta!

He's a red and purple scissor tail I named Picante.
Scissor tail? You mean double tail? Betta tails & colors

Right now I have him in a 1 gallon bowl, a bit of gravel, driftwood, with a live java fern and long plastic grass.
Sounds like a great set up! (Even if he wasn't going into a larger home, that is a good set up you have him in currently and he could thrive in it for a long time with proper water changes. (for anything unfiltered below 5gals it's best to do 1 50% and 1 100% water change per week.)

He's on a diet of frozen spirulina brine shrimp, freeze dried blood worms, and nutrifin betta flake....all fed sparingly of course. I have heard conflicting information regarding bloodworms. I have heard some people say that its a bettas natural diet and that's all they feed. Others say it makes them constipated and it should only be fed as a rare treat. I don't know what to believe, can someone clear this up?
Bettas are insectivores, so they do need a good, balanced diet of protein. Freeze dried is fine, as long as it's not the staple of their diet. It's high in crude protein, low in fat.. but there are more nutrients that it is lacking. As well as when feeding a betta anything freeze dried one must remember that it will rehydrate itself in the tummy and expand, causing the bloat/constipation. To prevent this from happening it's best to soak them in a cup with some tank water for a bit prior to feeding. 2-3 FD bloodworms per feeding is a good amount. FD could be fed instead of a meal 1-2x a week. As far as flakes.. they can bloat as well when they absorb water in the tummy. As well as foul up the water if any of it is left in the tank after feeding. Some people do fine with flakes, some people don't like it. Only one of my boys will eat it, and one girl.. so those two will get it once every great while. There are other ingredients that I don't particularly like, like dye that I don't want to give them too much. Number one ingredient in their food should be fish meal over wheat.
Pellets are by far the best staple food for them. They contain a good amount of nutrition and a good combination of vitamins and such needed. 8 - 10 mini pellets a day, or 4-6 common/medium size spread out a day is the average amount.

I would like to put him in my 6 gallon edge tank (with the water level not filled all the way of course the bettas sake of course) but I am worried that the filter (the stock filter) creates too powerful of a current in the tank and may be too stressful. As I suspect may be what contributed to my previous bettas death. Does sensitivity to current apply to all bettas or does it depend on the personality?
A little of both. It's not good to have a strong current as it can make it harder for the males to swim and stress them out. Some males fair better, but mostly they do need baffling. You could try either a smaller filter, or baffle it using an aquarium sponge in the output part, or baffle it THIS WAY.

Perhaps I could put him in the tank and see how he adapts? Do bettas eventually adapt to flow?
They can if it's a small amount, but with a strong current they will always have trouble.

What signs of stress do I look for and at what point do i remove him and return him to the bowl? How can I tell if he's happy with the amount of flow?
If he is on the bottom and doesn't swim, gasping. If you see him struggling very hard to swim. You will be able to tell if he is having trouble with it.
Some bettas like to swim up the small current, again, you'll be able to see if he likes it. If he swims around and tries to avoid it.. best to baffle it.

If he needs to be permanently kept in the bowl, are bettas happy in bowls?
Anything 1 gal and over is idea.. you can get a 1.75gal (medium) kritter keeper at Petco for around $8, and large is about 2.75gal. You can heat that and there is still plenty of room for him. I use some of them and they are great. I put serane wrap on top, taped down and with holes poked in and it holds in the humidy to help their labyrinth organ. It also allows more natural light to enter as well as I have low watt light over them. If you decide to get a smaller tank, just ask and we will recommend the proper water change % per week.

Will he be ok with the halogen lighting on the edge tank?
Yep!

I also have 5 neon tetras in that tank, will they be compatable with him?
A 6 gallon is rather too small to house him and 6 neons. The bio load would be too much. As well as some bettas get stressed with smaller, fast schooling fish. So it wouldn't be idea.

Also, I have also heard of using decaffineated green tea (1 bag per gallon) for bettas. Is this true?
You can, I have done it, but it doesn't do as much as true tannins. It can help soothe them some, and it discolors the water a tad bit which they like. I use naturally fallen and dried oak leaves, as those tannins are a bit healthier. If you decide on the green tea, make sure you acclimate him to it by putting in a little bit at a time over a period of time.

Sorry for all the questions, I just want to take good care of the little dude, thanks for all the help in advance
Ask away! What this site is for, to help out. Rather you ask a hundred questions then guess or go based off of myths!
Quote:
Originally Posted by betta89 View Post
ok so never feed freez dried only frozen and yes feed then blood worms for the filter get a fillter sponge it will stop the hard current also a 1 gal is too small im not shour if you can put them with neon tetras but i dont think so
You can feed freeze dried as long as you pre-soak them in tank water first. A 1 gal is small, but not too small to where a betta can't live in it happily with the appropriate water changes. Some people (including members here) will say their bettas prefer the 1 gals, that they had to put the betta back into a 1 gal since anything larger was too stressful. You have to remember, most were in jars at the breeders, then placed in small cups so some may not adjust very well to larger spaces. Neons would be iffy, but in a 6 gallon, it's not recommended.

Quote:
if he is stressed he will have vertical stripes on him and do not put him in the tank untill you know its ok
Vertical stripes go up and down.. you mean horizontal. Males don't always show stripes.. some do, most don't. I've only ever had one show some stress stripes, but you could only see them in a certain light.

Quote:
bettas are best in tankes keep the temp at 73-80 degrees farenhight in his tank feed 3-4 pellets in the morning and a small pinch of flakes at night or a few blood worms
iv never herd of green tea and iv never used it and my bettas sre fine so i wouldent use it also use spring watter in the tank or tap watter with watter conditiner that gets rid of chemicals in the watter you can find this in the fish section
73 is way too low for them.. they are tropical and require 78-82*F (as low as 76, but preferably on the higher end). A few degrees is a big deal when it comes to fish and water.
4 pellets is rather a lot for one feeding, as they too expand when wet, 2-3 is idea.
DON'T use spring water.. it lacks the proper nutrients and minerals that they require. Only use tap water with the proper dose of water conditioner. Always dose the tank the full amount, regardless of how much water you replace.

*facepalm*

But anyways, if you have any more questions, please feel free to ask!

And Betta 89, there is an "edit" button on the bottom right of your post, you can use that to add/change anything to your post so you don't have to post multiple posts right in a row. It takes 20 minutes before it is locked.

Last edited by Myates; 10-14-2011 at 03:40 PM.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 03:44 PM   #6 
betta89

ok so those posts dident come out right when i said 73-80 i meant some where between like 76, 77, 78, 79, 80
and when i was talking a bout water conditener it was meant for both kind i use a special betta one that adds the nutrients to the watter
also iv heard bad things about freez dried that it causes problems and i wouldent eat freez dried so i personly wont feed my bettas somthing i wouldent eat
and i know how to use watter conditiner i follow the lables exactly i have 3 types onre for adding nutrients to the watter one for tap watter that adds nutrientsn and gets rid of chemicals and a betta stress relife one fore new betttas
and i was told 3-4 because ther ethe mini pelllets so if this is rong tell me
Old 10-14-2011, 03:56 PM   #7 
Myates

Le sigh...
Quote:
ok so those posts dident come out right when i said 73-80 i meant some where between like 76, 77, 78, 79, 80
That is fine, but I was correcting your mistake so the OP wouldn't make that mistake.

and when i was talking a bout water conditener it was meant for both kind i use a special betta one that adds the nutrients to the watter
It is still very unwise to use spring/bottled/distilled water. The best water conditioners aren't "special betta ones", those are just the lower end brand that they put a picture of a betta on to get people to buy it because they think that is the correct and only one for a betta.
Here is a list of good conditioners and what they provide. The best conditioner on market now is Seachem Prime. Product review of water conditioners.

also iv heard bad things about freez dried that it causes problems and i wouldent eat freez dried so i personly wont feed my bettas somthing i wouldent eat
You would eat blood worms? And no, you wouldn't want to feed them anything you would eat. They need a special diet just right for them. I have Freeze dried bloodworms as well as shrimp. They are higher in crude protein, and less in fat, higher in fiber. They are healthy, and most bettas love them. The reason why it's not idea to feed it to them as a staple is that there are other nutritional requirements that bettas need that FD and even frozen doesn't offer. Why we recommend pellets as the staple of their diet.

and i know how to use watter conditiner i follow the lables exactly i have 3 types onre for adding nutrients to the watter one for tap watter that adds nutrientsn and gets rid of chemicals and a betta stress relife one fore new betttas
There is no reason to add 3 different types of conditioners of anything into their water. It takes a lot to overdose, but yeah, it can happen. You just need one. As well as API Stress Coat is good to have around, as you can use a few drops of that into the water along with your water conditioner after a move or a 100% water change to help soothe them. But you don't need to add in so much to the water because you just don't know how it can affect the chemistry needed. Water can be too clean.

and i was told 3-4 because ther ethe mini pelllets so if this is rong tell me
If they are mini pellets, then you need to say that rather then just say that many. Mini pellets you do feed a little more to then you do common medium pellets. Just make sure you state the size of the pellets as to not confuse people or cause them to over feed.

Last edited by Myates; 10-14-2011 at 03:59 PM.
Old 10-14-2011, 04:04 PM   #8 
betta89

ok i will buy things not made for bettas but i dont put 3 types in to the watter only 1 and i only use two when its a new betta and i am cautious with over dosing i watch out and use the little water tester strips things every week to chec water nitrates and stuff
(dont feel like listing every check i do)
i love my bettas and would do nothing risky and what do you think about the green tea thing?
Old 10-14-2011, 04:10 PM   #9 
Myates

Not saying you don't love them, I am just going off of what you had said here, that is all.

As far as the green tea.. in my opinion, not worth it. If you want to do tannins it's best to go for actual tannins such as pesticide free, naturally dried and fallen oak leaves or Indian Almond leaves. Green tea doesn't have the same benefits as natural tannin, but it's not harmful if properly acclimated with the fish.
Old 10-14-2011, 04:19 PM   #10 
ThalesthePearsei

Thank you so much Myates! All the info helps so so much!!! Im not that attached to those neons anyway, if Picante likes the tank, which I hope he does because its full of java ferns, amazon swords and driftwood...a lil mini betta paradise, they will be happy to join my friends school of 20 in her 55 and Picante can have the tank to himself .
I'm going to make that buffer before putting him in, that's a great idea!
I know the question about the halogen lighting seemed kind of odd but of odd but I read that the wrong lighting can kill a betta...but I think they were just trying to scare me into buying their e-book.
ThalesthePearsei is offline   Reply With Quote