Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-14-2011, 04:13 PM   #1 
crystalmylovee

Question What to do with filter?

ive heard you dont have to change your filter (the cartridge / pad) ? but is that true? please let me know ive had mine in for like 2 months
crystalmylovee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 04:36 PM   #2 
Myates

I know the sponge filter you take out and swish it in tank water every couple of months (tank water - when doing a water change, swish in the water you had taken out). As for cartridges, I wish I can say as I haven't used those types of filters in about 10+ years.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 04:41 PM   #3 
crystalmylovee

I have a sponge filter :) so what I do is when I take out some water in a bucket give it a swish in that bucket of water?
Old 10-14-2011, 04:54 PM   #4 
Myates

I believe so.. I've only heard of people recommending doing that rather then replacing it. You don't want to change it because of the good bacteria already living in it, and you don't want to shock the bacteria with using fresh water.. by swishing it, it will remove any debris without losing the goodness in it.
Old 10-14-2011, 06:12 PM   #5 
crystalmylovee

:D thank you so much!
Old 10-14-2011, 06:13 PM   #6 
Myates

Anytime =)
Old 10-14-2011, 06:19 PM   #7 
Nubster

Exactly...don't replace the media until it is literally falling apart. Depending on the filter...that may be never. I know that AquaClear sponges last forever...mine is going strong after 5 years. When you do a water change...like others said, take out the sponge and swish it in the old tank water and give it a few good squeezes. Wring it out and stick back in the filter and use a cup and cover it with tank water so it doesn't dry out. You want to keep the media because that is were the majority of the beneficial bacteria lives. If your media gets to the point where it looks like it will need replaced soon, get new media and shove it in the filter next to the old media for a couple weeks if possible. That way it gets seeded with bacteria. Once that happens you can discard the old media.
Nubster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 10:19 PM   #8 
Bombalurina

+1 to all that. Personally, I keep spare media hidden in my tank behind ornaments all the time in case I need to replace it or start a new emergency tank (never know when you are going to meet a fish that just has to come home with you!). I have two bags of ceramic noodles stashed away in my big tank and I'm looking for a suitable hiding spot for some filter wool. :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote