Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-19-2011, 09:51 PM   #21 
Sena Hansler

Let me see, the 20 gallon was 60 dollars, the one ten was 70 (the 20 was used), and the other one was 40.... Plus the females each were 4 dollars, and the males 6 dollars (5 females, 4 males). Ornaments were probably at max 30 dollars in total, heaters 60 dollars in total (one is adjustable, one is pre-used, another is subermsible). The food max was... 10 dollars in total? freeze dried bloodworms, live mealworms, bettamin and tropical fish food.

After that I have spent per month on them..... Maybe 5 dollars. Perhaps 10.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 09:54 PM   #22 
Pitluvs

You're talking to someone who's spent thousands on fish alone in the last few month Kyt lol I understand price but I spend about $65 on a complete set up. If you add your tank and such your pushing $200 LOL I think op was getting estimates so she can prepare and convince. $200 before fish is scary! Good for you though, that's a pretty amazing set up!!!
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 10:05 PM   #23 
MistersMom

i AM a confuseing person my mind hops every where!!!!! im hyper and i think i have adhd... i dunno tho, sorry for being confuseing.... lol...
MistersMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 10:06 PM   #24 
Sena Hansler

Quote:
Originally Posted by MistersMom View Post
i AM a confuseing person my mind hops every where!!!!! im hyper and i think i have adhd... i dunno tho, sorry for being confuseing.... lol...
lol confusion... we all have it
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 10:42 PM   #25 
LittleBettaFish

I would estimate I've spent at least five-thousand dollars on my fish, probably more.

Big costs for me are tank set-up, live plants and actual stock (some of my bettas are rarer species so cost more). I am notorious for ordering heaps of plants, deciding I don't like them/have room for them/can't grow them, and then tossing them in the bin.

Aside from that it costs me $50.00 a week for electricity and I'm just on the cusp of needing to chip in for water costs. I feed my splendens mostly NLS pellets, which although pricey, last a long while. Additionally, I feed frozen and live to my wilds (I have a tank set-up with a population of blackworms), which would probably cost around $5-$10 a month.

I keep promising I will cut back but then I find myself browsing our transhipper's channel on Youtube and seeing something I just have to have.

Fortunately it's fish I'm addicted to and not something illicit or I'd really be broke.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 10:52 PM   #26 
MistersMom

oh my gosh you folks are driven me crazy i wish i had tht much $ to spend on FISH!!!!!!! goodness!!!!!oh yeah and you should all check out my fish inmy album... nuthn great but it counts...
MistersMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 12:06 AM   #27 
Micho

Let's see, I got those nasty 0.8 gallon Betta tanks. Found this site the next day, got a two gallon Fluval Spec on the next day. With a heater, and other goodies.

So I'll say around $150 for those things. Then I bought a 10 gallon on Saturday, was pretty cheap. I also got a heater and gravel, it was $100 on the spot. I'll spend more this coming weekend, estimating around $150-ish. Probably more, I have a part-time job, and I like to splurge for my fishies.

If you want only one Betta, you'll probably spend around $100. But most people can't just keep one Betta. :P
Micho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 02:22 AM   #28 
Kytkattin

If you can get some stuff off of Craigslist, or from a friend, you could potentially save a lot. But what it really comes down to, for just one fish, after the initial investment, you will pay almost nothing for your new little friend. No vet bills, clean water keeps him (or her) healthy. So drop about $100 (less with Craigslist/friends) on the right things you will need for your fish, and you should be sitting pretty. You are already way ahead of most that buy the wrong things and either have to replace those things, or replace their poor fish.

Another thing you can do is just buy one thing here and there. Like buy a decent sized tank one month, a filter another month, and just slowly acquire what you need so your parents don't get sticker shock at dropping $100 on a fish.
Kytkattin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 02:45 AM   #29 
HatsuneMiku

start up cost is probably the most expensive .. monthly maintenance is pretty cheep ..

red is total cost .. below the section is break down of cost ..

mystique's setup cost = $26.97
5g tank = 11.99
5lb gravel = 2.00
betta log = 7.99
ceramic broken jug = 4.99

mr. bubbles set up cost = $30.97
5g tank = 11.99
5 lb gravel = 2.00
betta log = 7.99
mini spongebob pineappe house = 8.99

yuki's set up cost
= $53.87
5g tank kit = 35.99
large spongebob pineapple house = 17.99

new baby's set up cost = unconfirmed
10g tank 53.00
gravel = 7.00
(incomplete because haven't set it up yet .. or decided what to buy yet)

extra stuff = $103.88
marimo balls (i have 4) = 31.96
hikari bio-gold food = 7.99 + 2.99
NLS betta formula = 6.99
NLS thera+ A with garlic = 8.99
freeze dried bloodworms = 7.99
freeze dried daphnia = 6.99
betta bulbs (2 packs) = 7.00
2.5 qt tank = 13.99
dip n pour container = 8.99

betta's cost = 18.94
mystique = 1.98
mr. bubbles = 1.98
yuki = 6.99
new baby = 7.99

grand total .. with tax .. so far = $321.88

this doesn't include my goldfish tank .. my bf's tank .. and our gift tank
and all the other stuff i haven't bought yet .. or electricity and water ..

but this is spread out since april 2011 .. so if u divide that by 5 months .. that's roughly 65 dollars a month .. =) .. *ish* hehe

Last edited by HatsuneMiku; 09-20-2011 at 02:49 AM.
HatsuneMiku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 05:49 AM   #30 
Leeniex

Bottom line is, you don't need a fancy set-up. A Kritter Keeper (large) will keep your betta happy and healthy as long as you have everything else he needs.
Leeniex is offline   Reply With Quote