Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-19-2011, 10:12 PM   #1 
Cutekitti

Grrr high Ammonia

I just got a kit for testing ammonia because I wasn't sure how affective my water changes are and Blueberry's tank was pretty high at 1. I just did a partial change yesterday (50%) so that makes me think that something is up (I might have to remove Gary the little snail) Anyway I did a 75% change ASAP and will test it again tomorrows. I think I will have to test more frequently now. ChouChou's was also a bit high at .25 so I changed his as well. I never new it went up that fast as I am pretty careful with changes. Its been quite awhile since I had fishes
Cutekitti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 10:15 PM   #2 
BettaMiah

How big a tank do you have? Do you have a good filter? What is it stocked with? I can help. I used to have serious ammonia, big problem. But now even in my Goldie tank it is at 0. The key is a good filter.
BettaMiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 10:18 PM   #3 
Cutekitti

Its just a small tank, a 2.5 gallon. The filter is just a small one that came with my aqueon. It doesn't really do much except move that water around. I also did a good vacuum of his gravel (Did that yesterday too) but I got a lot more sedement up. Hopefully that helps
Old 09-19-2011, 10:20 PM   #4 
BettaMiah

Okay. 2.5 Gallons is good for a Betta and a snail. You ALWAYS take the water from the bottom with a gravel siphon. So good, I think your problem is your filter. You should look at getting a new one.

Oh! And you need to do WEEKLY water changes in that tank, since it can not cycle.
Old 09-19-2011, 10:23 PM   #5 
Cutekitti

I usually do two or three a week. But I wonder if the tank is trying to cycle. I don't know if I can get a better filter for such a small tank that won't be too strong. I came with the aqueon tank (the old version not the the new ones)
Old 09-19-2011, 10:26 PM   #6 
BettaMiah

Huh. I don't know. I would just look into one. Have you changed the filter media in awhile?
Old 09-19-2011, 10:27 PM   #7 
youlovegnats

Are you doing weekly water changes? If not, that's why you have such high levels on ammonia. Also overfeeding can cause high ammonia readings too.
A filter alone isn't going to filter out ammonia, it just turns them into nitrites and nitrates- which are still harmful to your fish.
youlovegnats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 10:29 PM   #8 
Cutekitti

no, Its an old tank that I reset up. The filter media was used before with a previous fish but I bleached everything before I got him (rinsed dechlorinated blah blah blah) Its a carbon filter and was still in pretty good shape....I dont know if the small whisper ones are any better? I just hate the noise the air pump makes lol
Old 09-19-2011, 10:31 PM   #9 
Cutekitti

Yes, as I stated I change that water at least twice a week and vacuum the gravel every time
Old 09-19-2011, 10:31 PM   #10 
Tisia

have you tested it straight out of the tap? mine is about .25 on its own
what type of snail is it? I know mystery/apple snails are pretty much poop machines and they get pretty big as well
Tisia is offline   Reply With Quote