Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-20-2011, 11:46 AM   #1 
Sena Hansler

Question about filters...

Okay, I don't have a "sponge filter".. or do I? D: mine looks like a sponge filter, it is very quite and gentle. It's definitely easy to pull off, clean, and put back on. As far as I know it feels and looks like a "sponge" filter, but anyways.... I'll try getting a picture up of it for you. Also, it is adjustable for the flow :) can be nothing, dribbles, slight flow, full flow. ^^

It won't reach the "6" inches of water. I would have to have the water at about 8-10 inches, for it to work. Would this be okay?

There are not rocks in the tank, or gravel, but will be enough hiding spots for the female. The male I want to use is a bit of a bully so I will be using more hiding spots than I did before, for her. ><

Maine, is the one I want to breed (anti-camera boy xD), with Madame. He is a dark blue with red highlights with a perfect spade tail,. Or I can breed Crayola Colors, who has a super long tail :p

and she is ebony black with metallic blue/green fins and back. :) And still cannot figure it out... is she VT or Plakat and how do you tell the difference? o.o
Attached Images

Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 02:54 PM   #2 
cajunamy
Banned

If that is the filter you are talking about in the back of the picture, that is a HOB or 'power' filter, not a sponge filter.

This is a sponge filter. http://www.amazon.com/Hydro-Sponge-F.../dp/B0002602S2
cajunamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 02:59 PM   #3 
1fish2fish

Your female is a plakat. So breeding her with a VT is going to give you VT with shortened caudals.. the "round tail" look. If you truly have a spade tail and not a young VT you will get PK because spades are just a variation on PK with longer middle rays.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 03:02 PM   #4 
Sena Hansler

lol no, not in the back of THAT picture :) that in the picture is a power filter, which is in the 20. That pic was just of the girlie :p Here is the picture of the filter. I have never had one like that, just the regular power filters - like the one behind Madame :)

If you know the name of that one, great!!! And.... would that one be okay? It can't really suck anything into it, just it stays on the side of the "sponge" thing.... as you can tell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fish2fish View Post
Your female is a plakat. So breeding her with a VT is going to give you VT with shortened caudals.. the "round tail" look. If you truly have a spade tail and not a young VT you will get PK because spades are just a variation on PK with longer middle rays.
so short tail VT? o.o Here is the male :) he has a really really nice tail, and everyone says he just has a variation of VT tail - spade. That pic was when I got him... now he has gotten darker with more highlights of red
Attached Images

Last edited by dramaqueen; 09-20-2011 at 06:42 PM.
Old 09-20-2011, 03:16 PM   #5 
1fish2fish

That's a VT. Spade is a variation on PK. Some people just like to say their VT's are spades because it makes them sound rare or something.

A true spade would look like this...

Young VT often have a spade like appearance but as they grow out they get the normal VT fins.

Your male has normal VT fins. The tail is supposed to droop down and come to a point like that on a VT.

A spade is different because there is a more dramatic difference in the ray length as the tail comes to a point... so it looks like a spade.

Old 09-20-2011, 03:20 PM   #6 
Sena Hansler

When he flares (where did the picture go o.o) I posted it, and said his tail was really good, kind of like a spade but I was not sure... someone said spade was a variation of VT -.- but either way, he has a darn good tail xD ok, so with that pair I would get a short finned VT? How about with colors, who has a very long tail for a VT (that I have had that is)

I also have another VT, but he has yet to show his "true colors" just yet :) his fins are going a cool soft green color... But I don't even know his temperament o.o he likes to flare at the camera xD but he is pretty... mellow so far.

But anyways, what kind of filter do I have? o.o I do not know if it would be okay... And this town lacks to carry what you need :p
Attached Images

Last edited by Sena Hansler; 09-20-2011 at 03:24 PM.
Old 09-20-2011, 03:25 PM   #7 
1fish2fish

You're going to get the generic colors... blues/greens with red wash and perhaps a few surprises thrown in depending on the genetics each fish carries.

The second male really doesn't have very nice fins for a VT, even though his colors are pretty. I think going with the first male would give you better looking fry. Again with the second male you're going to get multicolors.

The third male is very old school as far as VT go, small caudal base and long fins. I would classify him as a grizzle which is a variation on marble so it's hard to tell what you would get. I doubt you would get true marbles though, again most likely the more common colors.
Old 09-20-2011, 04:15 PM   #8 
Sena Hansler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fish2fish View Post
You're going to get the generic colors... blues/greens with red wash and perhaps a few surprises thrown in depending on the genetics each fish carries.

The second male really doesn't have very nice fins for a VT, even though his colors are pretty. I think going with the first male would give you better looking fry. Again with the second male you're going to get multicolors.

The third male is very old school as far as VT go, small caudal base and long fins. I would classify him as a grizzle which is a variation on marble so it's hard to tell what you would get. I doubt you would get true marbles though, again most likely the more common colors.

Oh probably :) And yeah really depends on what their genetics have :p but hey, it's worth trying :) all of them (including the female) are very healthy, and generally active. I really would like Maine to be bred though, and see what kind of fry to get from him lol