Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-19-2011, 07:40 PM   #1 
karendawne

first try at breeding

I am new at breeding but put my halfmoon in a large tank a few days ago, added the female in a clear pot today and at first he seemed very interested but this afternoon and tonight he is off by himself, doesn't seem at all interested. I thought he would start a bubble nest but nothing yet, is that normal behavior or is the female or him not ready?

i'm attaching a pic of him, I think he's so beautiful. Enjoy my times during the day that I can just sit with a cup of coffee and enjoy him.

Karen
Attached Images

karendawne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 07:58 PM   #2 
Ritingyou

The spawn of my Pk and Vt took around 4 days. He would occasionally swim past her and show off but it was maybe 1 time every 2-3 hours and it was always when I wasnt looking (I had to be sneaky..)

Anyway on the 4th day right before I was going to give up I noticed he made a bubble nest and she had her bars, and was ready to go. I would say it depends on the betta plus how long they have been conditioned and everything. Give them a few days :)
Ritingyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 08:36 PM   #3 
Bambi

was he conditioned well enough, is the spawning tank nice and warm?
Bambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 08:53 PM   #4 
1fish2fish

He looks like he's got some bloat going on so he's probably not in the best breeding condition. How long did you condition him for and what is your spawning set up like?
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 07:00 AM   #5 
karendawne

my first breeding

I have conditioned them both for about 2 weeks. The tank is set up with lots of plants and hiding places for the female, at 80-81 degrees.

I didn't realize he looked bloated, what would cause that? He was eating really well until I put him with the female, now he is picky. Feeding him blood worms and spirulina brine shrimp, both from Hikari. Anything I need to do for bloat or will it go away naturally?

I plan on leaving the female in the glass container until at least Thursday and see what happens. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Karen
Old 09-20-2011, 07:01 AM   #6 
karendawne

my first breeding

By the way, he had just eaten when I took the pictures, so he was very calm, could that be why he looks bloated?
Karen
Old 09-20-2011, 12:33 PM   #7 
Creat

If its just cause by food holding off on feeding should help just fine :) Sometimes males want to eat after breeding sometimes they dont, he may just be focused on the female. As long as he is still displaying and starts working on a nest he should be fine.
Creat is offline   Reply With Quote