Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-20-2011, 07:33 AM   #11 
Tikibirds

I overheard a petco employee tell a customer that they could not open the cage to get the chinchilla out because if she touched it, it would die.

I had to correctly inform them that the employee has no idea what in the hell she is talking about and then I can assure you if you touch the animal it will NOT die. I know this because not only do I own one, but I had seven at one time in the past and also bred them.

My personal fav was when i went to return a dead fish the day after i bough him. I took a pic of the ammonia reading of 4.0 and the idiot kid returned with a bottle of ammonia block. I was like OK so go dump it into their cups because that is the reading from the cup he came in, NOT my tank.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 08:17 AM   #12 
Laki

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rK0m_awMOWQ I think they're very romantic about it all :) He will be a good daddy fish! ^-^
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 11:12 AM   #13 
Sena Hansler

Did you know, when I went into the store questioning about ich in my tank, I kept getting "oh no you NEED ich medication, or else all your fish will DIE!!!" which then I replied, "I am using AQ salt" the say, "it won't work. it increases immune system". I ended up pulling out the research I did heavily before hand, and pointed out the salt can kill free swimming parasites along with increasing immune system and helping with the slime coating.

No reply from her. ^^ And my method worked... increased temperature and all. I have never had a problem since then! Also depends on the employee. because the owner of that store told me, I could use salt for basically anything. sometimes may need medications... So, if he is there I go. If SHE is there, I refuse to ><

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikibirds View Post
I overheard a petco employee tell a customer that they could not open the cage to get the chinchilla out because if she touched it, it would die.

I had to correctly inform them that the employee has no idea what in the hell she is talking about and then I can assure you if you touch the animal it will NOT die. I know this because not only do I own one, but I had seven at one time in the past and also bred them.

My personal fav was when i went to return a dead fish the day after i bough him. I took a pic of the ammonia reading of 4.0 and the idiot kid returned with a bottle of ammonia block. I was like OK so go dump it into their cups because that is the reading from the cup he came in, NOT my tank.

unless everything you touch turns to gold, no, it will not die >< what odd advice....

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjoy79 View Post
Proof chain pet stores don't properly train their employees or care. Their employees are just telling people whatever they want to people!

lol very true... Just like I have no idea if the food my female betta got lodged in her mouth/throat will "actually" eventually break down... like the store person here said

Last edited by dramaqueen; 09-21-2011 at 03:29 PM. Reason: More Multiple Posting!
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 11:22 AM   #14 
mjoy79

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlotte View Post
I'm guessing it's not, or at least hoping. Apparently an employee at Petco or Petsmart told my mom not to breed bettas because in order to do it the male slams into the female until the eggs come out and continue until she dies. Is any of that true?
Proof chain pet stores don't properly train their employees or care. Their employees are just telling people whatever they want to people!
mjoy79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 02:09 PM   #15 
1fish2fish

OFL's information is correct. The fish embrace or wrap (hug really isn't correct). The point of the embrace is to raise the chances of each egg being fertilized as the female releases them. The female then floats to the top while the male retrieves the eggs. Depending on the individual fish some recover almost immediately from the wrap and others take around 30seconds to recover.

Here's a vid of one of my old spawns.
http://youtu.be/BbCdmz7uKJQ
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 04:34 PM   #16 
Mohan85

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fish2fish View Post
OFL's information is correct. The fish embrace or wrap (hug really isn't correct). The point of the embrace is to raise the chances of each egg being fertilized as the female releases them. The female then floats to the top while the male retrieves the eggs. Depending on the individual fish some recover almost immediately from the wrap and others take around 30seconds to recover.

Here's a vid of one of my old spawns.
http://youtu.be/BbCdmz7uKJQ
Is that a apple snail you got in there with them?
Mohan85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 04:36 PM   #17 
1fish2fish

Mystery snail, yeah. Shoulda waited until the fry were free swimming because the little sucker ate half the eggs >.< Oh well.. live and learn. I still got a pretty decent sized spawn from them but like pretty much all my spawns this year velvet got them.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 04:52 PM   #18 
Sena Hansler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fish2fish View Post
Mystery snail, yeah. Shoulda waited until the fry were free swimming because the little sucker ate half the eggs >.< Oh well.. live and learn. I still got a pretty decent sized spawn from them but like pretty much all my spawns this year velvet got them.

so what exactly causes velvet? I've never seen it on any fish.... not even in the store.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 10:43 AM   #19 
charlotte

Sorry I'm replying so late! I was waiting for emails to tell me but I never got any. That's a relief, I'm not sure if I'm going to but just so I know. I don't know why they dont just shut up if they don't know what they're talking about. The other day I went in and asked what a good kind of filter was (I meant the brand, it says on the package what size tank its for) and she showed me one for a 5 gal tank when I said I needed one for a 20. She said it doesn't matter and they all work. Most of them are worthless, I'm not even bothering anymore.
charlotte is offline   Reply With Quote