Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-20-2011, 01:13 AM   #1 
ArcticRain

Debate about the Correct tank size for a Single Betta.

I see that there Is a very big debate about the correct tank size for a single Betta. Some say that anything under 5 gallons is cruel. While others say 1 gallon is just fine. Some say that a bigger tank is easier to take care of while others feel that smaller is much less work.
You can say a many number of things about what you think the correct size tank is. This is your Opinion. I can say a many number of things to disagree with you. That is my Opinion. Everyone in the world has their Opinion on the matter. But none of us can truly tell who has the correct Opinion. Even scientist who have done experiments on the correct tank size have their Opinions.
Not just on this website but on many others I have noticed people being judged on their Opinions of the correct tank size. This is their Opinion, and I believe that we should not judge them and their Opinions.

Notice how I did not use the words Wrong or Right in the above text. This is because none of us can truly tell who is wrong or right. As the world is full of Opinions and everyone is entitled to their own.

My Opinion is that 2.5 Gallons is the correct size for a single Betta. I may be wrong, and nothing is stoping you from telling me your Opinion. But just because you may think I'm wrong, does not mean you have to start nagging me about the matter.
I am not suggesting that it is ok to cram a Betta into I tiny bowl and we should keep trying to turn people away from doing this. I am simply stating this fact.

The world is full of Opinions. Right or Wrong we may never know. Just because you think 5 gallon tank is the minimum tank size. Doesn't mean you can go out and yell at someone for keeping their Betta in a 2.5 gallon tank.

I am sorry if I hurt anyone's feelings. I just had to get this off my chest. I have had to many people on other websites nag at me.

Last edited by ArcticRain; 09-20-2011 at 01:28 AM.
ArcticRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 01:40 AM   #2 
MrVampire181

well put. fish keeping is a matter of personal preference and what works best for the individual.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 01:47 AM   #3 
Luimeril

i always suggest a 2 gallon or larger to new betta keepers. while some may see me as a hypocrite for saying that, yet keeping Lulu in a gallon, i have reasons i've stated many times, and will state again: She hates anything bigger. i tried her out in a 2 gallon, and she hid for a week straight, barely coming out to eat. i had to work, to get her out of that cave. no, she wasn't ill. she didn't have ick, or velvet, or anything. she was scared. it was a planted up tank, with enough plants to keep any betta happy, but she didn't care. once she was back in her 1 gallon, she was happy, active Lulu again. if someone can't get a 2 gallon, and must get something smaller, i let them know how much work goes into keeping a smaller tank. keeping Lulu happy isn't easy, but i love her enough to do well over 3 water changes a week.
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 01:56 AM   #4 
Oldfishlady

My opinion is that we should help/teach others to take proper care of their Betta in what ever size container they want to keep their Betta in and not be overly critical of the tank size they have......

Betta keeping isn't an exact science-too many variables......

More to proper care than tank size.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 02:38 AM   #5 
Kytkattin

While I strongly recommend 5+ gallons for beginners, that is because I personally find them easier to keep because you can cycle them. Maintenance is tons easier when a tank is properly cycled. That is just a plain fact. Getting the tank cycled isn't always easy... Many people don't like the expense. People complain about it taking up too much space.
Just like I think that doing water changes more than once or twice a week is a pain. I find it hard to properly light a smaller tank. Some people love the portability of smaller tanks. They can keep more bettas if they have smaller tanks.
It really is about finding what works for that person.
Kytkattin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 03:05 AM   #6 
HatsuneMiku

*reads and clicks away*

x_x .. there's always a new one .. when another closes .. i hope this one stays civil this time =D
HatsuneMiku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 05:51 AM   #7 
Leeniex

Personally, cycling confuses the heck out of me. I don't have filters and keep a 2.5 and 3 gallon. I do lots of water changes.
Leeniex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 10:31 AM   #8 
ArcticRain

I really don't want to see this turn into a big war. I know there are a lot of these kind of posts out there. I just wanted to post a different point of view, and hear everyone else's opinions.
ArcticRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 10:51 AM   #9 
Sena Hansler

I personally, have kept a betta in a bowl and he lived to 7 years (not bad) with some problems... but hey he was my first betta. He got popeye twice, then after that I cleaned that bowl out alot more often and he was healthier! My second betta, lived 5 years, in a 1.5 gallon tank with heater. Now, Ihave used since then 1.5 and up. I use the 2 gallon "goldfish" bowl, and a 2 gallon vase for two bettas, but the wate ris kept clean, and also my room is warmer than warm and the water is at 24 degrees anyways >< And both are terribly active. Once I get some more dividers made, they'll be moving to a divided 10 :) Because my bettas are just spoiled >.> lol
-throws two pennies in the air- there's my two cents.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 11:09 AM   #10 
MybettaSapphire

I got my first Betta several months ago. In that time I've gone from a gallon bowl, to a three gallon tank, to a ten gallon that houses my single betta and a mystery snail. I've found what works best for me. I literally couldn't stand doing water changes all the time, and with the ten gallon, there's more room for decorations and plants. I think everyone just finds what works for them, and as long as the betta(s) is well taken care of, that's fine with me.
MybettaSapphire is offline   Reply With Quote