Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-22-2011, 12:31 AM   #41 
dramaqueen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcticRain View Post
Thanks everyone! I just checked the forum again. Someone said I have a case of "Pet Care Denial". They said I was scammed into buying my "little tiny tank kit" and that even though the little tanks look cute "No fish alive could survive in a tank that small". They recommended that I take my Betta back to the store and not buy a new one until I buy the proper 10 gallon tank that a Betta needs.
Now that is something that I don't agree with. Telling someone to take their fish back to the store and don't get another one until you can give it a 10 gallon? Baloney! We need to help people to work with what they have instead of name calling and ridiculing the person.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 12:33 AM   #42 
Luimeril

Quote:
Originally Posted by dramaqueen View Post
Now that is something that I don't agree with. Telling someone to take their fish back to the store and don't get another one until you can give it a 10 gallon? Baloney! We need to help people to work with what they have instead of name calling and ridiculing the person.
+ a bajillion

it's not the fault of a newcomer, that they were duped into buying a 'betta kit'. it's not right, to tell them off for it, or tell them "Take it back till you can get them this huge tank they may not even feel comfortable in". :/ not EVERY betta loves 10 gallons. not every one can afford or has space for such a large tank, either. 2 gallons is fine, and can fit just about anywhere.
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 08:04 AM   #43 
Sena Hansler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcticRain View Post
Sena Hansler - Haha! Yep, that's the one! I admit it is one of the least monitored of all websites i have visted. But, I would still think a person would I have the mind to not be so rude! Even if they are on the Internet!
You know, the reason I am a "top contributor" there is because I won't diss your tank :p you got what you got and you have reasons. Even when I asked "my female has ich what do I do" I got real answers on here, and on there "without real meds she'll die, salt doesn't do a thing" which I had done research too... I was surprised no one bashed me on having balloon mollies with bettas (mine came from freshwater tanks and never had a problem).

But yeah, you can have (IMO) a one gallon as long as you clean it :p I'll be using many jars/containers anyways *hopefully* when this spawn works.

Yahoo answers may have "fast" and numerous replies almost immediately but it's people who probably don't own bettas, or who make it rocket science, or who are "dontactuallyknowitalls", or "trolls" getting points for answering. Here, at least people know their bettas

Last edited by Sena Hansler; 09-22-2011 at 08:07 AM.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 10:31 AM   #44 
dramaqueen
Banned

I would never go to Yahoo answers for info. This is the only forum for me. lol I guess I feel strongly about the tank size thing because I was criticized by a moderator on another forum for keeping my fish in gallon containers. Like I said before, I try to recommend 2 gallons or larger to new people but if they absolutely can't get anything larger than a gallon then they've got to work with what they have until they can get something bigger.
Old 09-22-2011, 11:21 AM   #45 
ForbiddenSecrets

There is peoples opinions, which on this topic can be debated forever really, and then there is when people are acutally just wrong. 0.18 gallons for instance per fish in the "PETCO Dual Betta Bowl" has got to be viewed as wrong :/ Not just 'its his/her opinion'. It's barely more water then the water bottle on my desk.

For me the debate starts at the gallon up mark - because while I don't think a gallon is enough room personally I also recognize with proper care people do take good care of their one gallons and do indeed love their fish. c:
ForbiddenSecrets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 02:08 PM   #46 
Sena Hansler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForbiddenSecrets View Post
There is peoples opinions, which on this topic can be debated forever really, and then there is when people are acutally just wrong. 0.18 gallons for instance per fish in the "PETCO Dual Betta Bowl" has got to be viewed as wrong :/ Not just 'its his/her opinion'. It's barely more water then the water bottle on my desk.

For me the debate starts at the gallon up mark - because while I don't think a gallon is enough room personally I also recognize with proper care people do take good care of their one gallons and do indeed love their fish. c:
Yeah I think there were the 1/2 gallon "betta tanks" which have an air pump much too strong for the betta in that small of a space D: I got one, but soon after got the goldfish bowl, then eventually found the 1.5 gallon tank xD I personally don't like how bowls (IMO) distort the vision of what you see in it... I like seeing them as they are :)
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 03:39 PM   #47 
elijahfeathers

I personally think there are two different questions.

Question one is; Can the water in X container be kept clean enough? Can someone keep a 1/2 gallon clean enough? Can you keep a QT cup clean enough? I bet you can. It takes dedication, but you can keep water clean enough.

Question two is; Is it big enough for the fish to express natural activities? I see a lot of smaller tanks and for me the answer is generally no. 1 gallons are usually built tall for a small footprint... the fish can't swim it's length twice over the long way, and only has space to comfortable turn around width wise. To me, this isn't an appropriate tank. For me, when I look at tank side... I think a fish needs a space where it can swim horizontally at least 3-4 times it's own body length... and at least two on the short side. Nearly every small tank I see fails to accomplish this.

Anyway, I had another more ranty thread up, but it got locked so, that's all I'm gonna say here on the matter. Clean water =/= living space imo. You could keep 1 dry measuring cup worth of water clean enough for a fish but it wouldn't be an appropriate home.
elijahfeathers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 06:22 PM   #48 
Oldfishlady

You also have to remember that this is a man-made fish with abnormal long heavy fins-its not fair to compare its needs to its wild cousins or short fin Bettas.....sometimes the smaller tanks are more suited for the long heavy fin male Bettas for that reason alone-to start out in and slowly move them to larger spaces and water movement to their tolerance......with some...not all.....they have never been in a container much larger than the temporary cups you see them in and they feel secure in this space and have not built muscle mass to swim properly-too large of a space too soon-this tires them-stresses them and in turn can compromise immune response-not to mention the delicate fins that soon look tattered due to swimming or fighting water movement....Don't miss understand...not saying they can only be kept in small unfiltered containers.....but that some-not all.....need to be moved to larger spaces and water movement in steps to their tolerance......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 06:42 PM   #49 
dramaqueen
Banned

I know a girl who had 2 in one of those tiny divided containers and I convinced her to get something larger and that they should have their own containers. She got thgem each a 1.5-2 gallon vases or bowls.
Old 09-22-2011, 06:48 PM   #50 
Pitluvs

I have a friend that keeps hers in drinking glasses with deco rocks in a basement apartment. Oi!
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote