Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-22-2011, 07:15 PM   #51 
BettaMiah

I saw Yahoo com up. I hate yahoo. Apparently if you don't keep one Betta in at least 5 gallons of water you are a horrible animal abuser who knows nothing and should be punished and ridiculed and blah blah blah.

They also tole me ONE Common Goldfish needs 2,000 gallons EACH. Bull! Absolute bull! 40 gallons is fine.

They are so dumb. Overaggressive. They think that no Betta has even a chance at making it past a week in a 2.5 . GRRR!
BettaMiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 09:41 PM   #52 
HatsuneMiku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
You also have to remember that this is a man-made fish with abnormal long heavy fins-its not fair to compare its needs to its wild cousins or short fin Bettas.....sometimes the smaller tanks are more suited for the long heavy fin male Bettas for that reason alone-to start out in and slowly move them to larger spaces and water movement to their tolerance......with some...not all.....they have never been in a container much larger than the temporary cups you see them in and they feel secure in this space and have not built muscle mass to swim properly-too large of a space too soon-this tires them-stresses them and in turn can compromise immune response-not to mention the delicate fins that soon look tattered due to swimming or fighting water movement....Don't miss understand...not saying they can only be kept in small unfiltered containers.....but that some-not all.....need to be moved to larger spaces and water movement in steps to their tolerance......
^this +1 ..

also to add to this .. from the moment you move them from their cup to something bigger .. if your monitoring your betta .. you can immediately tell what type of environment they will thrive in ..

bettas that want bigger areas will start swimming around and immediately start poking at their new boundaries .. trying to see how far they can go .. how fast they can swim .. and sometimes even bump into the tank walls cus it's too small for them .. it kinda looks like they are trying to "get out" of their space .. and want more .. this is clear behavior that should let you know they want a bigger space ..

i can't speak for bettas that likes lesser space .. (i know sick bettas and rescues need smaller spaces and lower water levels those are special cases cus they are sick) .. and since i haven't bought a betta that didn't appreciate the extra room .. i've never kept any of my bettas in less them 5g .. but i did have to condition them to be used to their extra space ..

they went from cup to .5 (2 weeks) .. then 1g (2 weeks).. then 2.5 (3 weeks) .. then to 5g .. and i know this helped out to develop their muscles over time so when i put them in their 5g environments they didn't spazz out and tear up their fins to swim faster (as what happened to my bf's betta when he moved him from cup .. to 2.5 -6 weeks- to a 10g ..) or become lethargic or scared for their extra room .. and they also no longer kept poking at the edge of their small environments "trying to get out"
HatsuneMiku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 09:48 PM   #53 
tokala

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
You also have to remember that this is a man-made fish with abnormal long heavy fins-its not fair to compare its needs to its wild cousins or short fin Bettas.....sometimes the smaller tanks are more suited for the long heavy fin male Bettas for that reason alone-to start out in and slowly move them to larger spaces and water movement to their tolerance......with some...not all.....they have never been in a container much larger than the temporary cups you see them in and they feel secure in this space and have not built muscle mass to swim properly-too large of a space too soon-this tires them-stresses them and in turn can compromise immune response-not to mention the delicate fins that soon look tattered due to swimming or fighting water movement....Don't miss understand...not saying they can only be kept in small unfiltered containers.....but that some-not all.....need to be moved to larger spaces and water movement in steps to their tolerance......
+ 1 ^^ as always, OFL
tokala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 10:22 PM   #54 
willabean

Well I think this thread had value for sure - as someone who knows so little about Betta fish, I have found it fascinating! I never would have considered that each fish is an individual and might have preferences! I guess my Fish Perry is a bit of a "wild child" like me-LOL! He explores every inch of his 5 g, and he does indeed poke at the barriers. Hmmm, I guess it's time for that 10 g. HAHA, back to Petco!
willabean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 10:29 PM   #55 
HatsuneMiku

Quote:
Originally Posted by willabean View Post
He explores every inch of his 5 g, and he does indeed poke at the barriers. Hmmm, I guess it's time for that 10 g. HAHA, back to Petco!
aww!! he sounds adorable!! mine stopped poking at the corners and walls after i put them in 5g .. if your going to upgrade to a 10g .. do it when petco has there $1/gallon tank sale and snag a 10g for $10 ^_^ ..

and when u do have it ready .. start it out at 5g's (you can cycle 5g).. and then add like a gallon every 10 days (to not kill ur cycle) till it's at 10g .. and he'll defiantly grow strong fins
Old 09-22-2011, 10:43 PM   #56 
willabean

Quote:
Originally Posted by HatsuneMiku View Post
aww!! he sounds adorable!! mine stopped poking at the corners and walls after i put them in 5g .. if your going to upgrade to a 10g .. do it when petco has there $1/gallon tank sale and snag a 10g for $10 ^_^ ..

and when u do have it ready .. start it out at 5g's (you can cycle 5g).. and then add like a gallon every 10 days (to not kill ur cycle) till it's at 10g .. and he'll defiantly grow strong fins
Thanks for the advice. Do you think I should cycle the ten gallon before moving him? Do you know if Bettas in larger tanks need to be fed more than the ones in small tank? FP always seems SO STARVING! He stares at me then at the corner were I feed him, then he dances up and down and stares at the " food corner". Ive taken the over feediing warnings seriously, but I hate for him to be hungry. He IS very, very active.
willabean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 02:51 AM   #57 
HatsuneMiku

i would cycle before putting him in .. you can do the cycle with putting 5g in the 10g tank first .. and after it's cycled .. you can put him in .. then condition him to the extra space by adding roughly 1g every 10 days (or half gal every 5 days ish) .. so that the good bacteria can continue to grow (test your water and monitor closely to make sure the cycle didn't break and u don't get any spikes) and he will get used to the extra space gradually

also, if you do not want to do a chemical cycle, raw shrimp cycle, in fish (feeder fish) cycle, or decomposing food cycle .. i'm currently using a new way to cycle my 10g .. it might sound gross .. but .. basically since you already have your betta in another tank .. you just use a turkey baster and suck out his poopie .. and put it in ur new tank .. this should generate ammonia as though u had ur fish in there .. might be a slower process to get ammonia .. but it will work

you don't need to feed him more in a bigger tank .. you can keep the same food schedule you have him on now .. bettas will always beg for food (when healthy) .. but you can't give in to over-feeding him cus he gives u puppy eyes look .. i know it's really hard .. i have 4 bettas that give me that look twice every day .. and i always hesitate and think .. it's just one more .. but i don't' give in cus i know it's better for them .. even when they look so sad and act like they are starving ..

i promise you he's not starving or hungry .. many betta owners fast their bettas 1-2 days a week so they can clear out their system to prevent bloating/constipation/sbd .. also some bettas have been known to survive without food for 2 weeks (under emergency situations) .. ^_^ .. so don't worrie .. as long as your feeding him on your set schedule .. he'll be fine

Last edited by HatsuneMiku; 09-23-2011 at 02:55 AM.
Old 09-24-2011, 11:06 AM   #58 
TonyK

I've seen someone keep his Bettas in a Beanie Baby holder. Its basically a clear plastic cube. I know its under a gallon but he has great success with that setup. But, he is constantly changing water. I don't like the set up but alot of time goes into the care of his fish.
TonyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 02:49 AM   #59 
LionCalie

I'm assuming we are going by size alone, since we can all agree the size of a tank does not equal quality care?

If that is the case, I would say 1 gallon is the absolute minimum. This size I will accept as fine, if for whatever reason the owner does not want to upgrade to bigger. Anything smaller and I personally feel the Betta would be unable to preform natural behaviors. It would also be too difficult for the average person to keep good water quality.

What I recommend, and what I have found to be most widely accepted, is it's better if a Betta has 2.5 gallons or larger.
LionCalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 06:29 PM   #60 
Myates

I say it all in my sig :D

*exits, stage left*
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote