Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-20-2011, 05:09 AM   #1 
HatsuneMiku

has anyone ever tried not removing the dad method?

my bf really want's to breed bettas .. and came across this article

part 1
http://bettysplendens.com/articles/p...?articleid=809

part 2
http://bettysplendens.com/articles/page.imp?articleid=839

has anyone ever tried this .. and would like to share your thoughts and experience with me? using this method over the general remove the dad method?

*edit* i duno why part 2 is not showing up as a link x_x
HatsuneMiku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 10:37 AM   #2 
Sena Hansler

Well, I have heard of people on here doing one of the following:

removing the dad when the fry are still hanging from the nest because he is eating them.

removing the dad when the fry is free swimming because he eats them.

keeping the dad in there until the fry are ready to be jarred, as he does not eat them.

I think it really depends on the male o_O Some males their first time will eat the eggs or destroy the nest...
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 12:44 PM   #3 
HatsuneMiku

well .. the point of that article's "experiment" or how he calls it .. was to leave the dad in there to eat the weaker bettas .. i think he left him in there for like 3 months or something .. till the head female started dominating the tank and trying to mate with the dad .. and that's when he separated them .. i don't know how this method works .. so far everything i read .. is people jarring asap .. so daddie doesn't eat them
Old 09-20-2011, 01:38 PM   #4 
Sena Hansler

Well, people also say "oh I want to take him out because he is eating some of the eggs". Except that, if it isn't the male's first time and he has had successful spawns before, he may be eating the eggs that are infertile or infected with something.

I think the experiment has a point, because fish do know more than we will, especially about their own kind!! :) And plus, I will note with balloon mollies especially... separating the fry, causes lazy fry. Keeping them with the parents, with floating plants and such create fast growing, stronger fish - clear of deformities (usually eaten)
Old 09-20-2011, 04:10 PM   #5 
Oldfishlady

On my inside spawns-depending on my plan for the male....I generally leave the male with the fry long term...if I need that male for another spawn right away he is removed anywhere from the day he spawns to free swim stage or I remove the eggs to artificial hatch to spawn in that spawning tank again...just depends on how many spawns I need from him....

In my outside summer spawning-I leave the male and female together all summer and remove the fry as they grow big enough to eat their younger siblings from the multi spawns (new spawn every 3 days)......

I also spawn using a more natural method....both inside and out......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 05:50 PM   #6 
HatsuneMiku

ooo !! OFL that's really cool .. so your spawn outside will just constantly be spawning ? .. what do you do when the female stops making eggs to spawn ? .. do you take her out ? .. also what about the females ? .. do they ever try to mate with dad ? do you take them out when that happens? .. or any siblings try to mate with each other?

also how different is it spawning indoors vs. outdoors? also .. how do you create this more natural method to spawn ? =D i'd rather do that too !!
Old 09-20-2011, 06:36 PM   #7 
Oldfishlady

Females don't stop making eggs...they will have eggs non stop until they die...

I remove the fry as they grow...I have never seen any issues with the female eating fry...but the older/larger fry will fed on the smaller/younger fry and so I separate them by size...I will have 3-5 different 5gal buckets that I move fry to before I move them in the house.

I keep all natural planted soil based tanks...massive planted-full to the top with water that I spawn in the house...most are 10gal-but I also spawn in NPT 5gal and 20gal...since the tanks are really mature-they have lots of microorganism for free range fry food for the first 2-3 weeks.....

Outside I use 5gal buckets full to the top with lots of rooted plants that I let float since the only substrate is oak leaf litter and this also make the water really tanned and dark....easy to find the white fry but a bit harder to spot the dark body fry....lol......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 07:42 PM   #8 
Sena Hansler

Hmm these are very interesting methods I am reading =D Personally, here, there are only perhaps 3-4 months of warm enough weather (welcome to alberta...) to do that outside. Of course, include freak storms, and the occasional surprise 2.5 hurricane winds (and higher seen) D: it's easier and better for me to have them indoors lol!!
Old 09-20-2011, 07:48 PM   #9 
MrVampire181

I've noticed that when the father is kept in with them they grow faster. I have even removed the father and replaced him when the fry reached adulthood and he maintained the peace.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 07:51 PM   #10 
Sena Hansler

Yeah I have not noticed it with spawning - as I only had the first time dad who nommed the eggs lol. But I will note for my females, even. Marge has grown, within a week, double her size, where while in her bowl alone in the store she stayed the same size for 2 and some months!!!

I also have seen it with fry, from other fish. leave the fry, survival of the fittest. Get strong fish, healthy fish.... :) IMO