Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-21-2011, 12:55 AM   #11 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Every individual betta has its own character and habits. Some are psychotic egg/fry eaters while others are good parents. And occasionally a once good parent may turn psychotic and eat his batch. So which method to use really depends on the male's character. Usually if he takes care of his eggs, he should care for his fry - unless disturbed too much.

I now believe that the male somehow feeds his fry (if left with fry). This may explain why fry usually grows faster when daddy's around. BUT if the spawn is very important to you, it is safer to take daddy out once fry are free swimming.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 09:46 AM   #12 
Oldfishlady

I agree Indjo some of these guys are psyco and unpredictable sometimes...lol.....and the male will feed the fry...I have seen it...they will blow the food toward the fry via mouth and gills.....neat to see.......

I have about 3-4 month of weather that is warm enough for them.....maybe pushing 4.5 months but the night time temp get a bit cool....when the water temp drop to 60'sF for more than 3 days...I start bringing them in the house...I brought all but one breeding trio inside last week......my last batch of fry withstood a rain storm and 62F water for 2 days before I brought them in and now they are fine...they looked pretty sad/lethargic-but would perk up nicely once the water got to 72F-but that was the warmest it would get...so they had to come in the house.....and over the summer the water temp was well over 100F during the heat of the day and cool off to the 90F at night-every year is different-one year it rained all the time and this year we had a drought and heat wave.....good thing the water temp was different at different levels of the buckets....outside spawning sometimes will fair better in deeper water IME.....
Healthy Bettas and fry are a lot tougher than you think.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 10:59 AM   #13 
Sena Hansler

Oh, I know some can be tough :) but hey, still learning, right? If I had a place outside (renting sucks) it'd be nice lol
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 01:09 PM   #14 
Oldfishlady

I like to think I learn something new every day...if not...I may be dead....lol.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 01:11 PM   #15 
Sena Hansler

.... well then, stay alive and learn more xD
Old 09-21-2011, 04:02 PM   #16 
roadplug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
I like to think I learn something new every day...if not...I may be dead....lol.....

LOL, Me too ^.^)
I thought I'd take this opportunity to thank you, I live reading about your outside spawns and you give great info -
{others here do to}
I have learned a lot :D
[still have a ways to go ]
roadplug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 05:02 PM   #17 
Sena Hansler

I wouldn't mind trying to leave the father with the fry.... we'll see if he eats the eggs or not lol. The I'll keep a good eye on him :)
Old 09-21-2011, 07:22 PM   #18 
HatsuneMiku

great info everyone !! .. we still have a ways to go .. planning wise .. before breeding .. still want to get as much info as i can .. also how do u find housing for the babies? .. do you post them on aquabid? .. sell to local fish stores ? .. or sell to people that contact you ?

i mean if it takes like 3 days to spawn .. and about 3 months to grow .. that means you have like 100's of babies that didn't get eaten?
HatsuneMiku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 10:38 PM   #19 
Sena Hansler

You can have usually between 5 and 200 live USUALLY though higher numbers were recorded. Ask pet and fish stores in your area if they will take some. On here, aqua bid, in your newspaper even, you can find homes. Take in mind you'll probably have some unable to find homes so has a plan B :)
Old 09-22-2011, 11:51 PM   #20 
dramaqueen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
I agree Indjo some of these guys are psyco and unpredictable sometimes...lol.....and the male will feed the fry...I have seen it...they will blow the food toward the fry via mouth and gills.....neat to see.......

I have about 3-4 month of weather that is warm enough for them.....maybe pushing 4.5 months but the night time temp get a bit cool....when the water temp drop to 60'sF for more than 3 days...I start bringing them in the house...I brought all but one breeding trio inside last week......my last batch of fry withstood a rain storm and 62F water for 2 days before I brought them in and now they are fine...they looked pretty sad/lethargic-but would perk up nicely once the water got to 72F-but that was the warmest it would get...so they had to come in the house.....and over the summer the water temp was well over 100F during the heat of the day and cool off to the 90F at night-every year is different-one year it rained all the time and this year we had a drought and heat wave.....good thing the water temp was different at different levels of the buckets....outside spawning sometimes will fair better in deeper water IME.....
Healthy Bettas and fry are a lot tougher than you think.....
Psycho and unpredictable, like some of us humans. lol
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote