Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-20-2011, 07:14 AM   #1 
pinkcupid765

Sitting on the bottom of the tank?

My new betta i got three days ago, is acting different than the first day i got him. The first day he was so energetic. Second day he was really skittish, now he kinda swim/scoots along the bottom and only goes up for food and air. Once in a while he'll swim for like 3 seconds then he'll float back down. Is the just getting used to his environment? He live in 3gal, with a filter, but no heater. Do i need to buy a heater? I keep my room at 76-78F plus he has a LED light. Im starting to wonder if it's the light he doesn't like...
pinkcupid765 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 07:48 AM   #2 
Leeniex

He needs a heater. Is the filter strong? Maybe he's not used to the current.
Leeniex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 08:38 AM   #3 
fightergirl2710

He may need a heater unless your room stays at that temperature all year round. (His water will still be at around 74 which isn't really bad, since water stays cooler than the surrounding air)
Are there any other symptoms? Is he pale, breathing heavily, bloated? Anything at all.. What kind of decor does he have?
fightergirl2710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 03:01 PM   #4 
pinkcupid765

Leeniex@ The filter isn't the problem i dont think, because he likes to go over and stare at it (lol) But the current could be affecting him a bit.

fightergirl2710@ Hmmm okay, today im going to my local pet store so i'll pick up a thermometer! Well i wouldn't really be able to tell if he was pale, being that he's all white, He breathes a little heavily i guess. I was looking at him for a little bit and it was a little fast... He's not bloated, but he does eat like a piglet! Im at school right now so i'll post some pictures after! He has all live plants, black gravel, and a big rock-ish cave thingy :))) PICS LATER :D
Old 09-20-2011, 03:14 PM   #5 
fightergirl2710

No problem..
Old 09-20-2011, 03:32 PM   #6 
tf1265

In my experience, bettas need a bit of time to get used to a lot of newly aquired swimming space. Assuming he was kept in a tiny plastic tub at the petstore, he now has 2.8 more gallons of swimming space to get used to! It can take a week for him to get comfortable and feel safe. Moving is stressful on fish. When I moved one of my girls from the petstore bowl to a 5 gallon, she freaked out for a week!

Is your tank HEAVILY planted? Bettas don't really like open swimming space. In order to feel safe, he needs to feel like he's not in constant view. Floating plants will be a help with this, as coming to the surface exposes him. Get some fake plants if your plants are still small.

Additionally, bettas don't really need or like heavy lighting. Obviously your plants need it, which is another argument for floating plants to give the tank some shaded areas.

And, as the others said, get a thermometer for your tank, probably followed by a heater. Ideal temps for bettas are about 78-80, and you might be surprised as how much cooler the tank water is than the air.
tf1265 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 05:33 PM   #7 
pinkcupid765

tf1265@ He's perked up a bit more! Yea, the tank's pretty planted. Alot of possible hiding places! pics in 5 seconds....
Old 09-20-2011, 05:36 PM   #8 
pinkcupid765

The tank's a lot bigger than it looks... It was kinda at an awkward angle.
Old 09-20-2011, 05:47 PM   #9 
fightergirl2710

You have a beautiful tank. :D If he is his usual perky self now, I wouldn't worry but I would keep a close eye for any abnormal symptoms or behaviors. :)
Old 09-20-2011, 07:26 PM   #10 
tf1265

Tank looks great! He was probably just nervous about the move, and now that he knows he's safe in his new home he's more active.
tf1265 is offline   Reply With Quote