Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-20-2011, 06:33 PM   #11 
betaguy

literally, obsessed with your tank.
betaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 08:58 PM   #12 
pinkcupid765

Yup he's as perky as normal! But now that i added a loach he's all "Rawr i must find and eat the loach!" The loach hides under the cave thing and when ever he sticks his head out, Eclipse comes up and nips at him.... So how do i feed the loach??
pinkcupid765 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 10:43 PM   #13 
pinkcupid765

Uhh, don't reply to my last question. I figured it out :) I just have to dunk flakes in and he noms them all up! Eclipse doesn't want to eat him anymore :D They're buds now! i have PROOF! Drama Queen (My Loach) was swishing around and landed on Eclipse and all he did was stare and swim away lol. The loach is tiny and super cute! I also added a tiny sucker fish, named nugget! Pics tomorrow!
Old 09-21-2011, 03:27 AM   #14 
fightergirl2710

Don't you have a 3 gallon? A loach isn't the best roommate for a betta in a 3 gallon. Its too small a tank. May be you can try some ghost shrimp? They're low bioload and clean up the tank. :D
fightergirl2710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 06:30 AM   #15 
pinkcupid765

Well they were having a sale on kuhli loaches and there was only one left when i got there so they gave him to me for free (I go their every week lol). The algae eater right now in only half and inch long and he hides so he doesn't count haha. I have a question about drama queen though. Are they supposed to be fish that hide alot or fish that are active and swim like crazy? Because dq is very spazzy and crazy if you ask me :/ she's only and inch and a half long
Old 09-21-2011, 07:44 AM   #16 
tf1265

Please stop taking free fish from the petstore without doing research first. Unless your plans include buying a 30 gallon tank in the future, you need to take BOTH of them back to the petstore.

Kuhli loaches are hiders, they are expert hiders. They are also shoaling fish, which means they do best in groups of 5 or 6. If you keep a single one, you are doing no favors to that fish. Also, it will get to be 5 inches long. A 3 gallon tank is unacceptable for a kuhli loach. The people at the petstore should have checked with you about tank size before giving it to you, and you've now learned your lesson that pet stores are notoriously uninformed about their "product" (and don't be fooled, fish are products to sell for them).

As for the algae eater, there are 2 types - chinese and siamese. If it has a thick, solid black horizontal stripe it is a siamese algae eater. These are peaceful community fish that work well with bettas and loaches. If it has a dotted line down the center, it is a chinese algae eater. If it's chinese, remove it from your tank immediately. They are NOT peaceful fish, they are aggressive and will target bottom flat fish like loaches (they will often suck the mucus layer right off other fish, which will kill them).

THe bad news about the algae eater? At 1/2 inch, it DOES count. It still contributes a bio load, and your tank is simply not big enough for 3 fish of those sizes. And they'll only get bigger. Algae eaters are recommended to go in tanks with a minimum size of 48" long. Now go measure your 3 gallon. More bad news? Both types of algae eaters are shoaling fish, which again means they only do well in groups of 5 or more.

Take those fish back. Your petstore did you no favors. THey will get bigger, I promise you that much, and a 3 gallon tank is unfortunately only big enough for a single betta, with maybe a snail or some shrimp. But everything that you put in that tank does "count."
tf1265 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 08:19 AM   #17 
fightergirl2710

I agree with tf..
That is too much bioload on a 3 gallon. :( They may seem small now but they will get bigger... And for the future, quarantine all fish/snails/shrimp/plants in a different tank than your main one for at least 1-2 weeks. They can carry disease and parasites that you wouldn't want harming your current fish. One sick fish or contaminated plant can cause a lot of problems..
fightergirl2710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 08:22 AM   #18 
tf1265

Sorry pinkcupid, I know I sound like a mean lady who is just yelling at you, but there is so much misinformation out there. Imagine keeping 3 puppies in a regular sized dog crate. It works for this moment, but puppies grow fast. You shouldn't have added those 2 other fish. Your betta won't like you for it, and the other 2 fish will probably just die. I know you think your betta and the loach are pals, but the truth is that bettas are looking for pals, they're solitary. You're the one who thinks he needs pals.
Old 09-21-2011, 10:37 AM   #19 
pinkcupid765

Okay! I understand! I'll, from now on, promise to do my research before i get any new animals! I'll take them back today :) I was just really consumed in the moment when they said i could have him for free. Thats all. Thanks for giving me advice!

I'd really like to have a sorority for my birthday. Am i not ready for that? Advice?

And it's OK! Ya'll weren't being mean! :)

Last edited by pinkcupid765; 09-21-2011 at 10:39 AM.
Old 09-21-2011, 10:45 AM   #20 
tf1265

Haha. Right now I would say no, you're not ready. That doesn't mean you won't be by your birthday. Here are the basics for a sorority:

1) At least a 10 gallon tank
2) At least 5 female bettas
3) Heater, filter, LOTS of plants and hiding places (at least 1 for each fish)
4) All the fish have to be introduced to the tank and each other at the same time. If you give any of them a chance to be territorial, game over.

Female bettas are aggressive in a hierarchy. One of them will establish herself as the dominant betta, and will bully the rest. The more bettas you have, the less each fish will get bullied.

There are still a lot of factors you won't be able to control. Sometimes you will have 2 fish that both see themselves as dominant, and they will continue to fight each other. Sometimes you will end up with a fish that just cannot get along with other bettas. Sororities are very risky. You need to make sure that you have a back up plan if it doesn't work (ie 5 individual tanks).

Another option if you want more bettas is to divide a 10 gallon tank. You could put in 2 dividers and keep 3 fish separately in a 10 gallon tank. They would each have as much space to themselves as your betta has now. Divided tanks can sometimes have their own sets of risks, but in general is far less risky than a sorority.

But: read up, ask questions, have a backup plan (which could include dividing the larger tank), and give it a go.