Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-13-2011, 02:46 AM   #1 
cherrybello

Mr Pinky tore his tail off!

I haven't been checking out water parameter in Mr Pinky's tank as much as I should recently, I noticed since he recovered from what I believe was velvet and moved back to his tank, he hasn't been getting w.e that he ate out of his system, so I was about to pick up some epsom salt when I go out today. But when I went to check on and feed him, I noticed that a whole chunk of his tail is missing! So I have a constipated and tail-missing betta! What should I do???
Attached Images

cherrybello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 03:18 AM   #2 
Pataflafla

You can go ahead and treat him with epsom salt, but from the looks of it, it seems like he's biting his own tail. Anything he might perceive as a threat happen recently? Is his tank heavily planted with lots of hiding places? does he have any rough or sharp plastic plants with him?

for the constipation use 1 tsp/gal of epsom salt and just keep the water very clean while he has open wounds on his tail. Unless you start seeing rot, don't use aq salt.
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 06:01 AM   #3 
cherrybello

Thanks for replying Pata. I picked up epsom salt just now. Mr Pinky has a few ornaments and a life plant in his tank. There had been no change in his enviroment lately aside from the addition to a "centerpiece" ornament I found last week.

So... Mr Pinky is in for an epsom salt bath right after this.
Attached Images

Old 09-13-2011, 02:07 PM   #4 
Pataflafla

I think he might be feeling a little stressed with no top cover since bettas usually like to hang out near the top. If you could find some floating plants, that might help him a bit with his tail. He could also be a little stressed from the new addition, but I don't think that's the case.

If he does get rot, make sure you qt him since aquarium salt will hurt your live plant.
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 02:10 PM   #5 
Sena Hansler

For not eating, cook and shell a pea, use very little of the insides to him. If he eats that. If he doesn't, then you'll have to fast him for a couple days. Usually bettas will either tear their fins trying to go under or through something, or yes, bite their own tail.

By the way. Lovely tank.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 02:16 PM   #6 
Myates

Pea won't help him not eating.. that is for bloated/SBD problems in goldfish... peas are undigestable and wasn't meant as a treatment for bettas. Use garlic juice (in a jar with garlics or fresh from crushing them). The juice is a natural hunger stimulant for bettas.
In those pics he honestly doesn't look bloated/constipated. If you feel he is, then fast him for a day or so. Also putting a mirror next to him helps a lot of fish poop. All the adrenaline, motion, etc causes it to be pushed out. Good luck!
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 02:18 PM   #7 
Sena Hansler

I've never had a problem with it. And it is often used for fasting bettas as well, if used in very small amounts.

But, what do I know?
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 08:26 PM   #8 
cherrybello

Thanks for the advice Pata~! Got new QT tank ready as well.

I am leaning towards the theory that he chewed up his tail, because if he tore it on something inside the tank, I couldn't find the missing chunk when I looked through before draining his tank last night. There isn't anything that could, I found him coming out of the Fish and chips shop ornament flaring at me, that's when I realised he had missing tail.

@ Myates, I know he's constipated, because I haven't seen his poop since I acclimated him back into the tank from his QT, he's close to skins and bones near the tail, I am very concerned about that... And unlike my other VT who flares at his reflection every single time I hold up a mirror, Mr Pinky ignores it, he flared at his reflection in the total of 1 time. Now I hold up mirrors near him, he just swims on like "I know that is only me in the mirror"... or perhaps I should move him in front of the vanity mirror in my room. HAH! XD
Old 09-13-2011, 08:30 PM   #9 
Luimeril

add some more plants in his tank, namely taller ones. he'll enjoy exploring his tank. also, you can change around his decor when you do a water change, and he'll be too busy exploring his 'new' territory' to bite his tail. you can treat him with the salt, if you want, it won't harm his healing tail. just keep his water extra clean for a while. :3
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 06:11 PM   #10 
dramaqueen
Banned

Daphnia is a healthier alternative to peas.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote