Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-20-2011, 01:51 PM   #1 
MinibotLove

Roommate needs to stop enabling the fish-addiction =/

I told myself we'd stop here. My roommate gave me a lecture on "Don't you dare bring home another fish." I managed to go through Petco and get a 20 gal on their dollar-a-gallon sale without seeing anyone that tugged real hard on my heartstrings (though I do like my local petco - the manager was very knowledgeable about his fish and their water had just been changed when I was looking at them so I didn't feel too bad about leaving them behind - besides, can't rescue ALL of them or my apartment would be floor-to-ceiling, wall-to-wall fishtanks). I got it home, got it set up, was very happy until I realized the water was too cold to transfer the sorority into. So the girls stayed in their 10 gal that was warmer for some reason and I planned to go get a heater the following day.

Roommate comes home from getting some groceries and stuff at Walmart and she comes up without any bags, hands behind her back, looking Very guilty.

"...You didn't."

"I couldn't just Leeeeave heeeeer...!"

"After all that talking you did at me about 'don't you get another fish'..."

"I knooooow I knooow but she's puuuurple!"

She presents this pretty little lavender female with clamped fins so I can't tell what kind of tail, probably the standard Walmart veils, she's skinny and nearly see-through. I sigh that I'll have to find what I did with my little betta bowls for QT to put her in because she wants to just drop her right into the 10 gal with the other girls. Which she did, put her in a baggie in there with the other girls to see how they got along. (I can't get the cups to float without turning over so I try to gently bag the girls instead =/) She's... actually pretty feisty. I have my reservations about adding her to the sorority now that they've settled into a chain of command with the 5 girls in the tank minus Dirge and Starscream...

Once I got the heater set up and the water got warm enough, we started cupping girls and moving them into the big tank. 3 new ghost shrimp were included in their new house and after a while of the girls following them around going "what the heck is this thing?" the shrimp seem to have .. uh.. disappeared. I don't know if they're hiding or if they've been eaten =/ I tried re-adding Cosmos/Dirge (we're having trouble telling which one it is XD they kinda look alike) to see if she'd be less shy in a bigger tank but nope. Slips right behind my 'in case of emergency' breeder net and stays put. New girl dubbed Skywarp is QT'd for the time being, I'm not 100% sold on trying to add her to the big tank after all the bag-nipping at the other girls and Slingshot antagonizing her "Ha ha you can't get me~", I might have to divide the 10 gal 3 ways instead of 2 for the other girls.

Wish I could find my camera. >.< She's lightened into this salamander and lavender color and has stripes, or really more like bands, from dorsal to anal. They don't look like the other girls' stress stripes but they could be, I suppose... She's been fed and she has a tiny dose of AQ salt as a 'just in case' since I don't see any rot or ick or velvet on her and some stress coat. She's not perked up just yet but I'm hoping once I get the 10 gal divided and set back up to add fish into, she'll be a lot happier, though when I added the thermometer to her qt to see if she was too cold to be active she started investigating. Maybe she's just bored, I don't keep much in QT for easy cleaning, just a little hidey house because I don't expect them to stay in there for very long...

I'm still a little new and iffy on proper care but I hope I'm doing it right. I also hope the shrimp are okay o.o;;
MinibotLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 02:21 PM   #2 
Pataflafla

Sounds like you're doing it right.

What the girl with stripes has are called breeding bars. Sometimes the girls get a little confused and decided to sport them around, but I think it also doubles as a submissive sort of coloring too.

Once she's done with qt, you can try adding her even if she's acting aggressive because sometimes it's just an act. you'll have to watch her closely of course, but she may work out. There will be nipping and chasing, but that's to be expected from adding any new girl.
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 02:27 PM   #3 
Luimeril

the bars are submission bars. means she's not comfortable, and doesn't wanna get into a fight in this new territory. :3

shes sounds like a real cutie!
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 02:44 PM   #4 
MinibotLove

Good to know! I wasn't sure if they were coloring or not since they kept fading in and out in her qt. but I've noticed my girls do that. They'll get sort of pale and clamped and withdrawn and sit there and sulk until they see the boys or it's feeding time and then color's back on like flipping a switch. Starscream chased and nipped everyone to the point that only Skyfire got away with her tail intact before I removed her from the other girls. Kept saying "Once they get the hierarchy set up, she'll settle down... nngh! Okay that's too rough! Time out for you, missy! Let's try again tomorrow... Okay that's normal, right..? The chasing is norm- STOP BITING HER! D8<" Everyone had cuts and knicks and were generally overall unhappy until I took her out. Now things are a lot calmer.

There's still a little nipping going on - Sky seems to like putting Fireflight in her place, but I saw her eyeing her tail and tilting to bite and I stuck my finger in and bopped her real lightly on the nose/mouth and said "No! No biting!" and I think it startled her so much she hasn't tried to bite Fireflight since XD

Also: FOUND MY CAMERA! 8D Battery charging as we speak, will have pics tonight! <3
Old 09-20-2011, 02:50 PM   #5 
Pataflafla

Sometimes females are just too aggressive for sorority life. I've got one in my divided 10 gallon right now that has to have seran wrap over her portion so she doesn't jump and hurt my boys. She's already proven that she can and will jump the dividers, I was just lucky enough she jumped in with Moonshoes and he was trying to show her his bubble nest (got there before anythign could happen thankfully).

Younger girls tend to do best in sororities because they're still used to living with their siblings. I added Sabino to my sister's sorority and there was no chasing or nipping, she just fit right in and has to see what everyone including the ghost shrimp are doing.

I'm qt 2 more girls as well since the sorority is starting to break down with just the 3 older girls in it. The new girls I'd have to say aren't even breeding age yet. They're teeny tiny. 1/3 of the size of the sorority girls right now and probably a fifth of the weight (Everyone is kept in breeding condition because they love eating and my sister loves feeding).
Old 09-20-2011, 03:03 PM   #6 
MinibotLove

That makes sense. Skyfire is the biggest/oldest, and I think Silverbolt may have been her sister since they came from the same store at the same time and they have very similar markings on their fins, but Slingshot and Fireflight are just babies. Slingshot's still got fry colors with just the faintest blush of red on the tips of her fins and Fireflight's a bit bigger than her but she's just as sweet as she can be. Ratchet liked oggling her from his tank and dancing for her but he never flared - I think he likes that she's the same colors as he is.

Starscream is pretty small, but she may just be a runt or something lol. She's all dark body and neon blue fins when she's being territorial or flirting, but I don't think I'll be trying to add her in to the sorority anymore. She's been building bubble nests and everything since she's been by herself. Happy girl~
Old 09-20-2011, 03:50 PM   #7 
MinibotLove

Aha! Got a pic of her - one clear shot plus bubbles on the sides of the plastic.

Old 09-20-2011, 03:52 PM   #8 
Pataflafla

She's a cutie. I wonder if she'll be a darker purple once she settles in.
Old 09-20-2011, 03:53 PM   #9 
MinibotLove

Maybe - I do hope so. She seems to be shifting between lavender and pink. She's like a mood-ring.
Old 09-20-2011, 04:22 PM   #10 
Bambi

Pretty girl. ^^ I try not to get fish from walmart. Even if they sem healthy they often dye withing a few days or a couple weeks from poor genetics or a bad start in life.

Hope she's one of the one's who lives longer. ^_^ would love to see her without the bars and all colored up xD my wlmart had a prety yellow girl i almost brought home the other day, i hope she got a good home.
Bambi is offline   Reply With Quote