Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-20-2011, 02:03 PM   #1 
Foisair

Concerned for my new additions.

So I went to my local Petsmart last night with the intention of possibly buying one new betta and walked out with two. Both are tiny halfmoons, or so they were labeled. And both seem to have their own issues. For the ease of reading, Iíll call the black and white one Domino and the gold and red one Lumier as those will be their names if I can get them feeling better. Lumier is having problems swimming and Domino has some really bad tears in his fins and tail.

Housing
What size is your tank? Lumier is in less than an inch of water in his cup floating in Dominoís heated critter carrier. Not sure how big the critter carrier but I think it has about 1.5 gals in it. As soon as I get another heater or he feels better, Lumier will be moved to his own 1 gal container.
What temperature is your tank? Not sure. I will be bringing a thermometer home today.
Does your tank have a filter? No.
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No.
Is your tank heated? Yes.
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? Just Lumier in his cup.

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Iíve tried to feed each of them one pellet of Aqueon Betta Food last night and one each this morning. Neither ate them. I will try part of freeze dried blood worms tonight as well as trying to soak the pellets in garlic.
How often do you feed your betta fish?

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Planning on 100% every two to three days.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? Plan on 100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? So far, just stress coat.

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:n/a
Nitrite:n/a
Nitrate:n/a
pH:n/a
Hardness:n/a
Alkalinity: n/a

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Lumier was completely yellow when I walked out of the store. By the time I got him home (20mins or so) all of his fins were red.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Lumier was having problems getting to the waterís surface before I took him home.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Before I took them home.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? So far, just clean, warm water. Iím prepared to do salt treatments but I want to make sure Iím using the right kind of salt.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Just got them so donít know.
How old is your fish (approximately)? They are both really tiny so I assume that they are really young.

Please ask more questions if I have not provided enough information.
Attached Images

Foisair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 02:11 PM   #2 
Pataflafla

For Lumier try changing his water to 1 tsp/gal of epsom salt. It sounds like he has swim bladder issues, which are very common for pet store bettas to have when bought. Soak allof his food for now to ensure he doesn't get any air bubbles or unwanted expansion in his stomach after he eats. Small, but often meals are best.

For Domino, you're doing everything right. If the edges of his fins become black and start to get smaller and smaller, treat him with 1 tsp/gal of aquarium salt.
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 02:25 PM   #3 
Foisair

I will get some epsom salt on the way home from work today. I won't be able to get home until late tonight. I'm paranoid Lumier won't be with us when I get home. :(

So is it a good rule of thumb that epsom salt is for treating inside the betta and aquarium salt is for treating the outside of the betta?
Old 09-20-2011, 02:31 PM   #4 
Pataflafla

That's pretty much the exact rule, though I have seen OldFishLady recommend epsom salt for fin rots, but if she tells you to do something, it's generally best to follow her instructions as best as you can.

Epsom is usually for internal, aquarium is usually for external. You'll want to change all the water daily for highest effectiveness though, so it's easiest to have them premixed in gallon jugs.

Aquarium salt should only be used for 10 days max, while epsom can be used for longer without ill side effects.
Old 09-21-2011, 12:41 AM   #5 
Foisair

So I came home from work and both fish are still alive. I was a little concerned that Domino seems to be displaying some of Lumier's buoyancy issues though. So now they are both in cups floating in the heated tank. The water has been treated with Epsom salt for both and I put a tea bag in their water for tannins to hopefully keep them calm.

But now I have no idea what their issues are. They are both floating at the tops of their cups (Lumier on his side).

Is there such a thing as having too many tannins? Lumier's tea bag was fresher when I put it in his cup so his water is darker. And every few minutes, he'll dart a bit like he's trying to get away from it. :( He could be just trying to jump out of the cup into the bigger tank part.
Old 09-21-2011, 12:44 AM   #6 
Pataflafla

You're using decaf green tea for the tea, correct? Be sure to acclimate them to the change in osmosis. It's usually best to do a 50% change in water every 3 hours for a slow change. Tannins aren't necessarily needed for this, but they are nice.

They're probably still experiencing issues from the pet store, but it should clear up within a day or two. Keep up with the epsom salt and keep them warm and calm.
Old 09-21-2011, 12:47 AM   #7 
Foisair

I didn't realize it should be decaf. The tea I grabbed just said green tea. I'll see if we have any marked decaf. If not, no more tannins for them.

Edit: Thanks for the quick reply btw. :)
Old 09-21-2011, 12:55 AM   #8 
Pataflafla

Caffeine can be very harmful to them, so if it is caffeinated, up the epsom salt to 2 tsp/gal to help them detox.
Old 09-21-2011, 01:29 AM   #9 
Foisair

Another lesson learned. At this rate, it'll be a miracle if they live, especially Lumier. I feel like that stable boy from Black Beauty that nearly killed the horse out of naivety. >_< Nothing more I can do tonight. Here's to hoping they make it until morning.
Old 09-21-2011, 12:24 PM   #10 
Foisair

Sadly they both passed last night. Sometime the lessons we learn are tough ones. :(

RIP Domino & Lumier.