Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-11-2011, 03:28 AM   #1 
DazzleKitty

5 gallon tank- too small for tankmates?

I'm likely gonna get a five gallon tank in a couple of weeks for my little betta.

Is a five gallon tank too small for any kind of tankmate? Maybe a single fish that's fine alone or two or three guppies?

If no fish, do you think ghost shrimp would be okay?

Thanks much.
DazzleKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 06:18 AM   #2 
ollief9

No other fish can be housed in a 5 gallon, however shrimp and/or snails will do great. I find Nerite snails are great for eating algae and have interesting shells. They will not breed invasively like some pest snails. In terms of shrimp, I would recommend Ghost shrimp or Amano shrimp as these creatures are see-through and are therefore less likely to get eaten by the betta.
ollief9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 12:10 AM   #3 
DazzleKitty

Got it. . I may go with the shrimp. Thanks much. :)
Old 09-12-2011, 06:57 AM   #4 
Tikibirds

You can have 2 bettas in a 5 gallon, divided of course.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 12:58 PM   #5 
ollief9

That would really be pushing it though. IMO, each betta should have at least 5 gallons.
ollief9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 04:28 PM   #6 
tf1265

There are not many fish that will do well in a 5 gallon tank, and almost none of them are compatible with a betta. Nothing with long fins or bright colors, and nothing nippy.

Shrimp and snails are the best bet. I have a divided 5 gallon with 2 female bettas, they're quite happy.
tf1265 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 01:08 AM   #7 
DazzleKitty

I wouldn't mind the dividing thing, It would be cool. But, I am not sure where to get a good divider for a small tank. Actually, my experience with dividers is pretty aweful. Tried it in my fifteen gallon and they never sayed in place and it honestly just looked crappy.
If I could get something good that worked and looked good, I'd totally be for it. But, one betta in there with a couple of shrimp is cool too.
Old 09-13-2011, 08:46 AM   #8 
tf1265

I'm not sure where you could find a divider for a 5 gallon tank - I made my own.

You can buy plastic crafting mesh at a craft store and make your own, it's not too difficult. You just have to cut it to the right size and use a sealant to get it to stick to the wall- only problem is that these are usually permanent. I'm sure you can find a way to make one that's not permanent, though, just use your creativity skills.
Old 09-17-2011, 01:42 PM   #9 
Bresn

Quote:
Originally Posted by ollief9 View Post
That would really be pushing it though. IMO, each betta should have at least 5 gallons.
2.5 gallon is fine I just wonder why people go with 5 gallon...
Bresn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 02:14 PM   #10 
tf1265

Bresn, I think what you said is exactly it - 2.5 gallons is fine. Much better than the tiny bowls, gives them some room to swim around. But, it's still only 2.5 gallons. It's like saying a 15 sq. ft backyard is fine for a dog to run around in. Yes, it's fine. Would the dog prefer a couple acres to run around in? Absolutely. It depends on what your ideal is, and how active the fish is. I have 2 female bettas in a divided 5 gallon, and I think it's fine. I also "rescued" them from the tiny bowls my office had them in before I started working there, so it was a big upgrade for them. Right now I have a betta in a 10 gallon community tank, and she swims the full length of it very frequently. I'd feel terrible about putting her in a smaller tank now.