Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-20-2011, 10:37 AM   #1 
MoneyFish

Should they make the plastic hot?

So I just found some 10 watt Daylight 6500K energy smart lights in the lighting department at Walmart. They fit into my tank hood so I figured they would be perfect! They made the water look gorgeous, so much prettier than the incandescent lights. But after 5 minutes of being on, I felt them and the little shield over them and they were making the plastic shields hot. I'm completely paranoid about fire and shorting stuff out, etc. Should I take the plastic shields off of the hood and leave the lights exposed? Are these lights the wrong type of light to use in the 10 gallon hood? On the tank hood, it says to only use tubular lights, I don't know if I should be ok to leave these in or not! Thanks for answering such newbie questions!!
Attached Images

MoneyFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 12:17 PM   #2 
Kytkattin

Under no circumstance should you have an open bulb over water. You could get a glass top that fits your tank, but even then I am not sure if the bulbs are safe... It doesn't make sense to me that they wouldn't be, but I am more of an LED girl.
Kytkattin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 05:14 PM   #3 
MoneyFish

Well, I've had them running all afternoon with no bad results, so I guess they will be fine!! The plastic just gets a bit warm to the touch, but it's probably because it sits so close to the actual light. Hopefully the 20 watts will be enough for some low light plants. Thanks!!
MoneyFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 09:42 PM   #4 
TonyK

Flourescents run cooler than an incandescent. You will be alright.
TonyK is offline   Reply With Quote