Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-20-2011, 11:16 PM   #1 
ManInBlack2010

what your bettas mean to you...

now i'm gonna get all sappy on you guys but i wanted to share this with you because i'm sure you can all understand my undying love for these little fishies :) - well my first betta, cash, means a lot to me. i bought him when i was out with my friends the day before my boyfriend broke up with me. my boyfriend helped me name him. I took it hard but having cash has helped a lot. doing things like water changes or just watching/playing with him distracts me and cash seems to understand me. his tank is right next to my bed and when i'm sitting on my bed i'll tap the side of the tank once and he'll come running over and follow my finger for a while. also, if i put my hand in the tank flat, he will sit on it almost like he's cuddling with me :')

so yeah, do any of your bettas mean more to you than others or have special stories or what not?
ManInBlack2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 11:25 PM   #2 
Pitluvs

My boys are all equal to me and honestly, just my bettas. I have a hard time with emotionally attaching myself to them. My dog on the other hand, I'd do 20 to life if anyone touched her. I'm not cold, but after owning rats for 10yrs, I've learned to not get too attached to an animal that lives for about 2 years. It protects my heart :(
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 11:58 PM   #3 
Indyfishy

I know exactly how you feel, my first male was soooooo special to me. His name was Vincent, and he's the guy in my avatar. January 2010 I came down with a very rare disorder called Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome (causes dysfunction in your autonomic nervous system). It left me bed ridden for months. I had bought Vincent the previous April, and while I was sick he kind of got forgotten. He sort of got fed but his water didn't get changed for a veryyyy long time. Despite that, he never got sick. I remember the first thing I did when I was able to get out of bed was change his water. It was sooooo hard and I had to sit in a chair in front of the sink to do it, and I nearly passed out afterwards, but I remember the sense of accomplishment and hope that I hadn't felt in a very long time. It also felt good to take care of another life, instead of everyone taking care of me. He was such a special boy, he had the most cranky personality and he only truly liked me, but that made him my favorite haha =D I still really miss him, I don't know if I'll ever feel the same way about a fish ever again. I love my guys now, but they aren't as selective with who they like as he was XD Although, I did cry pretty darn hard when I lost my second boy, Finley. He was just soooo young, only a year and a half old, and it's possible that he died because he may have eaten a piece of gravel, which made me feel like it was my fault =/. He was always sooo active, it was a huge blow when he died so suddenly. I actually lost Vincent and Finley within a week of eachother in July. They were both special guys =)

Also, I'm sorry about your break up, that stuff totally blows. I know it's pretty much the last thing you want to hear when you've broken up with someone, but it does get better =)

Last edited by Indyfishy; 09-21-2011 at 12:05 AM.
Indyfishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 12:37 AM   #4 
MybettaSapphire

All of my pets are like that. I have 6 rats, a chinchilla, 7 mollies, 3 mystery snails, a bristlenose pleco, and Sapphire, my single male betta. I've also got 3 rabbits at the moment that are rescues. A lot of my day is spent checking on them and making food for them. My ratties always get a small, unseasoned version of whatever I'm making for myself. I spent a large portion of my summer sewing liners and hammocks for the rats and chinchilla by hand (without a sewing machine).

My mollies are my current pride and joy, because I've never had them before and I got them when they were fry, only a month or so old. But I've had problems with depression, and my animals help me feel connected. I'm caring for them, and I'm doing something important, and that makes me feel good.
MybettaSapphire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 12:44 AM   #5 
Pitluvs

Yay, another ratty momma! I sew my own liners and bedding too, but I have a machine and a fabric addiction. Love seeing rat owners and not the ones that feed reptiles. Urgh. I just lost two brothers, Sam and Dean. I had them for almost 2 yrs, they were 4m when I got them. I'll never be the same without them :( I too suffer from depression but the more pets I have, the more depressed I feel. I think its cause my fiance is not an animal lover so I'm alone in this.
Old 09-21-2011, 12:51 AM   #6 
MybettaSapphire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitluvs View Post
Yay, another ratty momma! I sew my own liners and bedding too, but I have a machine and a fabric addiction. Love seeing rat owners and not the ones that feed reptiles. Urgh. I just lost two brothers, Sam and Dean. I had them for almost 2 yrs, they were 4m when I got them. I'll never be the same without them :( I too suffer from depression but the more pets I have, the more depressed I feel. I think its cause my fiance is not an animal lover so I'm alone in this.
Luckily my husband likes pets, but somehow I end up cleaning all the cages/making all the food for them/insisting that we buy more things for them.

It's sad because I feel like rats are some of the best pets, but they have an absurdly short life span. My chinchilla's almost two years old, and if everything goes well I can expect to have him 15 years from now. They're worth it though, and it's fun to be able to give them a bit of whatever I'm eating. So much extra food goes to good use now.
MybettaSapphire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 01:16 AM   #7 
Pitluvs

Ours get some human food now and then, but we feed lab blocks so they get all they need with fresh veggies daily. Mine go nuts over popcorn! I'm really picky with my rats though, so ignore me :) I wish they lived longer, by the time you get to really know them, its almost time to let them go :( Same with bettas. All my other pets are getting up there in age :(
Old 09-21-2011, 02:15 AM   #8 
copperarabian

I really like my bettas, they are a lot of fun and it's sad to think of how mistreated they are by people who don't know better :( So giving our bettas a awesome life they hopefully enjoy is what counts.

My favorite fish are my cichlids though, they really have a lot of character :D
copperarabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 07:05 AM   #9 
betta dude

ilove all of my bettas for purposos jay.jr for example is my second betta ever R.I.P jay my first betta and lucky my strange little DT
betta dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 07:17 AM   #10 
Leeniex

Well, just about everything else in my life stinks right now (except for my kids), and my bettas calm me down. I sit here every night after the kids go to bed and just play with General Tso. He cracks me up. :)
Leeniex is offline   Reply With Quote