Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-21-2011, 11:28 AM   #1 
Larsa

Help! SBD and now "water mold"?? *PICTURES*

My 8 month cellophane halfmoon male, Izume is currently very sick. A few days ago when he was swimming weird-sideways with swollen sides. I immeditely quarantined him in a small cup with epsom salt and 85 F dechlorinated water with a lid for humidity. Later I learned he had SBD. I give his cup a full water change a day and add conditioner/epsom salt. I also noticed a few days back from today his fins were disappearing which I assumed was fin rot. I am sterilizing his 2.5 gal home now with all his decorations, got him new filter and cartridges. I am keeping him out of his tank because the filter might stress him out having SBD. My spouse over-fed him, spoils the guy rotten!!!, and his rotting fins are obviously from poor water quality. Probably from uneaten food from my spouse putting like 5 pellets in at once and not telling me they sank.... -_- Izume has been quarantined for 3 days now and at first he swam sideways and never ate or moved. This morning he looked kinda excited and swam totally normal. So I attempted to feed him 2 NLS Betta formula pellets. He happily ate them and kinda begged ( cant feed him a lot with SBD ) I was shocked when I saw his fins were horribly bloodier than yesterday and they are disappearing very very very very fast!!! He is NOT a tail biter either!!!! I have heard of a disease called water mold where its like fin rot but the edges of fins are bloody and red spots/sores appear on the scales. Does anyone know if this case is water mold or some other fungal fin disease??? Also I need treatment methods.

Here are some photos. You can see his swollen swim bladder and these red spots on his fins and scales. I hope these pics are good quality for a fin disease diagnosis. Thank you seriously for any help. =') I love Izume a lot and I will do anything to help him.
Attached Images

Larsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 12:36 PM   #2 
Myates

Erythromycin is an ingredient in medications for SBD, but it can also kill water mold, black algae, etc. Unsure of the dosage you will want to use though, since it varies depending upon what you are treating. Before using it I would varify if it is water mold. If not, it could be an infection, then I would go with:
Bacterial Infection/Open Red Sores
•Symptoms: Betta has open red sores or red patches (that aren’t ammonia burns), lethargy, no apetite, clamped, sits at bottom or top, color loss.
•Treatment: Perform daily 100% water changes and clean the gravel thoroughly (at least 3/4 water change for larger tanks). Treat the entire tank. Treat conservatively with Aq.Salt at 1-2tsp/gal but do not continue for more than 10 days. If that fails, use API Tetracycline, API Erythromycin, API Triple Sulfa OR Mardel’s Maracyn I & II. PP is also effective.

Hopefully Oldfishlady or Sakura8 pops by today, they tend to know a lot about diseases and such. If they don't, PM one or both of them with the link to this thread and hope they can shine a light on what is going on.

And tell him not to over feed! That is most likely what caused the SBD to begin with =( Wish you the best, and speedy recovery for your little guy.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 10:52 PM   #3 
Sakura8

Hi Larsa. What a beautiful guy! He's stunningly white. Thanks to that white, it's easy to tell he's got a problem (so much easier than on a black/dark colored fish). It looks like he's got septicemia, which is when an infection gets into the bloodstream. Also looks like some fin rot causing his fins to get bloody.

What we want to do is treat for an internal bacterial infection. First, put him in 1 tsp of epsom salt per gallon. This will help to take care of his SBD problems and help to purge his system.

Secondly, if your guy is eating, then try to get Jungle Labs Anti-Parasite Medicated pellets. These pellets contain a medicine called metronidazole that is very effective at treating internal bacterial infections. If you can't find the pellets - and they can be hard to locate - then get Maracyn II. Daily water changes will be needed and redose the medication after each change.

Alternatively, if you don't wish to use commercial medications, you can put him in 3 tsps of epsom salt and tannins. Either way is acceptable. Some people don't mind medicating their bettas and other people prefer a more holistic approach. It's up to the hobbyist.

I hope this info helps you and good luck with him! Keep us posted.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 01:29 AM   #4 
Larsa

thank you for the sweet comments! =3 My spouse picked him out instantly at Petco one day because he loved how pure white and lacey his fins looked. I will try to go to the petstore soon for some meds. Also I forgot to mention he hasnt pooped in 3 days, I hope the epsom salt is working :( I am keeping him in a small cup so I am not so sure how to give him his meds when I get them. Maybe a few drops? 0.o
Old 09-22-2011, 01:38 AM   #5 
Sakura8

If you get the Jungle Labs pellets, it's easy, you just feed them.

If you get Maracyn II, then the best way to give the meds is to get 2 clean 1 gallon jugs. Put 5 cups of dechlorinated water in one and add the dosage of Maracyn II. I think it calls for 2 packets for the first treatment. Mix that up well. Then, in the second jug, fill it up with dechlorinated water. Add 1/2 cup of the medicated water then use the second jug to fill up Izume's cup. Then dump out the contents of the both jugs (I know, it totally is a waste, that's the harsh part T_T). Fill the first jug in the same way and add 1 packet of meds. Fill the second jug the same way, add 1/2 cup of medicated water and you'll have that jug ready to use when you do the daily water changes for the 2nd-3rd day. You'll need to make up a new batch of medicine for days 4-5, though, because premixed meds only last so long.

It stinks that meds are dosed for 10g tanks because it makes it hard and wasteful to dose smaller hospital tanks, but oh well.

I hope this helps you.
Old 09-22-2011, 07:31 AM   #6 
Larsa

ok! wow thanks :p I was gonna get maracyn 2. The one gallon jub makes sense with the meds so I am gonna do that with a one gallon ozarka jug. Hopefully this works and my baby can get better!!!! Thank you all so much for your help and support. Hopefully he eats a lil more and poops with the epsom salt help! =3
Old 09-22-2011, 07:28 PM   #7 
Sakura8

No problem. Good luck with him and keep us posted. I'll be thinking of him.
Old 09-23-2011, 02:59 PM   #8 
Larsa

Hmmm he's still not pooping. He will eat but he hasnt pooped in almost 5 days... i am using a tsp of epsom salt in his small petco cup he's stationed in. Do I need to add more? 0.o
Old 09-23-2011, 04:50 PM   #9 
Sakura8

Larsa, yes, you can up the dosage of epsom salt to 3 tsps of epsom salt. You can also try to get him to flare. The frenzy of activity is often a stimulant for a clogged system and many a flaring betta has dropped a rather large one before. o.O
Old 10-09-2011, 10:39 AM   #10 
Larsa

hmmmm so he is acting completely normal again. Most of his fins have stopped bleeding, but he still has lots of red on his face including his fore-head, around eyes, and all around his mouth that just wont seem to go away. I am still doing a 100% daily water change in his small cup and his meds are 1/4 tsp tetracycline and some aq salt. How long does septicemia usually last? 0.o