Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-21-2011, 12:33 PM   #1 
IamBonner

Question what are 'clamped fins'?

I keep seeing references to 'clamped fins' and I was wondering is that an issue or is that just a description for betta that don't flare?
IamBonner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 12:52 PM   #2 
Myates

Clamped fins generally are in regards to when a fish is ill, or in cold water, they will hold their fins close to their body and/or will bring their fins together real tight. It is a usually a sign of a fish being sick in some way, but not always, as some VTs just keep them in close normally.

IE:
Attached Images

Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 01:03 PM   #3 
IamBonner

If that is the case, is there anything I can do for him? He's new, adopted him from a friend who didn't take very good care of him. His temp now is about 78 degrees (a heck of a lot warmer than what he was living in before).
Attached Images

Old 09-21-2011, 01:15 PM   #4 
Myates

Aww looks just like my Xander..

He looks healthy, other then I see a spot of light blue on his side towards the back. Is that there or is it something on the tank that the camera picked up? Otherwise he looks good. His fins aren't clamped all that much, so I am going to assume he has them clamped due to some stress (forgot to mention they clamp from stress as well) from the move. He should be fine in a week or so I would imagine and you'll see his fins open up more. The top one doesn't always open out a whole lot, it usually just drapes behind/down them.
Outside of that questionable spot, he looks great.
Old 09-21-2011, 01:19 PM   #5 
IamBonner

That's a relief, I'd hate to think that I harmed him from the move. If you're referring to that small light blue dot on his side, he's had that since I got him. I just assumed it was part of his coloring. Should I be worried about it?
Old 09-21-2011, 02:51 PM   #6 
Myates

If you look real close, see if he is missing those scales. If it's not raised nor fuzzy, then most likely candidate is missing scales. Which could of happened during the move, or prior from a decoration or a roughly used net.
Keep an eye on it, stress coat will be helpful since it protects the slime coat. It may heal in time or it may have lost those scales previously and they grew back a different color. I wouldn't stress right now about it too much until you see him behaving odd/sick or it grows in size/texture.
I am in love with that little guy lol
Old 09-21-2011, 03:15 PM   #7 
IamBonner

He does tend to fight me when it comes to the net, not a fan at all! I asked his previous owner and she said she never noticed it so I'll def. keep an eye out. It doesn't look raised or fuzzy.
He is a cuttie <3