Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-21-2011, 12:56 PM   #1 
charlotte

Question So many questions!

I'm relatively new to owning bettas and so far I haven't had much luck. I have so many questions I figured it'd be easier to ask them all at once instead of starting different threads.
Just to clarify a lot of the bettas I've gotten were in bad condition to begin with so it's hard to tell if they died from something I did or if it was bound to happen (pretty sure most of the time it was my fault )

1. A few times after I've done water changes the fish have died. The first couple times I did about 75% of the water and I think they might've gone into shock (I put in the water all at once and it was cold). Another time I did maybe 20% of the water and the same thing happened. I put cold water in again that time because I didn't think it was enough to matter but it did. Is it because of the temperature or something else? I thought maybe I'm taking out important bacteria- I really have no clue but now I'm scared to do them.

2. at the petstore a lady told me bettas dont breathe the water like goldfish (somethings different with their brains or something? im not sure) so the cleanliness of the water doesn't really matter. I'm pretty sure that's not true, but should I have a filter? she told me not to get one and that I didn't need anything to test the water either

3. do bettas like/need airstones or some kind of aeration? I heard they don't like a current but I'm not sure

4. how much should I be feeding them (how many pellets a day)? I have pellets and bloodworms. how often should i give them the bloodworms? if they're frozen can they get parasites from them? how can you tell if they're constipated?

5. I got 2 new male bettas a couple days ago. I have them in cylinder vases (they're at least a gallon, i'm moving them soon) with nothing in there. One has a bump on it (if anyone can help with that it'd be great), both have fin rot i think. I'm treating them with aquarium salt and stress coat. Both of them are just sitting at the top basically never moving. They do eat at least. Is this normal? I'm going to get them heaters soon but would that have that much of an affect on them right now? I live in California and its been really hot lately (90+ this week). I'll attach pictures of them

6. Is it good to have gravel or something for good bacteria establish in? I have no clue how to word that right or what it's called but I'm hoping someone will know what I mean

7. do females prefer being alone?
edit: just read the sticky about the females and that answered all my questions about that

8. how much salt should i put in per gallon? is there a difference for when they're sick or healthy? do I put it in when they're healthy too?

9. what are the best kind of decorations to get (types that are least likely to hurt the fish or that they like the most)?

10. is it good to put the tanks near each other so they can see each other or should I make it so they can't? i feel bad because they always look so lonely but I know they prefer being alone

11. should i put real plants in? if so, what kind should i get? can they get diseases from them? and can they live if theres salt in the water?

I think that's all for now, sorry its so long! I'll probably think of more later. If anyone can answer these or some of them I'd appreciate it so much. I want to provide the best care possible for these little guys

Name:  IMG_2777.jpg
Views: 242
Size:  26.0 KB
Name:  IMG_2778.jpg
Views: 241
Size:  28.6 KB

this is the one with the bump
Name:  IMG_2779.jpg
Views: 241
Size:  27.0 KB

and what kind is this one? he's healthy, I'm not worried about him but the other 2 dont look too good. if anyone knows what kind they are that'd be great too

Name:  IMG_2781.jpg
Views: 242
Size:  32.3 KB

Last edited by charlotte; 09-21-2011 at 01:09 PM.
charlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 01:19 PM   #2 
Foisair

Wow. That is a lot of questions. But I'm glad you're taking the time to ask them. ^_^

I have learned so much from this site and through my own experiences. I will answer what I can (as I'm sure others will as well). Just give me a few to type it all up.
Foisair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 01:23 PM   #3 
charlotte

i just read one of the stickys (I should have done that first, sorry) and it answered some of my questions. Bloodworms only a couple times a week, I read about the decorations (I'd still like recommendations!) , don't listen to employees, filters aren't necessary and heaters are. I'll get the heaters today (hopefully that explains why they're not being too active).
charlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 01:38 PM   #4 
Moon

Answer to question no1 treat water half an hour prior to the water change with warm water so the Betta won't get into shock my bettas hate cold water they like room temp or heated to 75 f so I recommend heated if possible or room temp is okay 2 but they won't live as long

Last edited by Moon; 09-21-2011 at 01:42 PM. Reason: Not enough info
Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 01:47 PM   #5 
Myates

Going to answer your questions, then look at the pics =) And welcome to the forums!

1. A few times after I've done water changes the fish have died. The first couple times I did about 75% of the water and I think they might've gone into shock (I put in the water all at once and it was cold). Another time I did maybe 20% of the water and the same thing happened. I put cold water in again that time because I didn't think it was enough to matter but it did. Is it because of the temperature or something else? I thought maybe I'm taking out important bacteria- I really have no clue but now I'm scared to do them.

You will want to make sure you have a thermometer first off. See what the temp is of the water they are in and then go ahead and cup them either in the cup you got them in, or a tupperware bowl free of soap residue. Empty the tank (unsure of size, so not going to recommend an amount and how often) of their old water and add in new water while keeping an eye on the temp as you fill it so you can adjust to get it as close to the old water temp as possible. That will avoid the temp shock. If you can't get it within a degree or two either way, then just fill it up and float their container in the tank for about 30 minutes to let the old water match the new water temp. That will help prevent any shock from temp changes when doing a water change.
Also make sure to put in a full dose of the water conditioner each time you change the water, regardless of how much you refill. Make sure to add in the dechlorinator each time.
Edit: saw you said they are in a 1gal. You will want to be doing 1 100% and 1 50% water change per week to keep it clean and yet not over clean it.

2. at the petstore a lady told me bettas dont breathe the water like goldfish (somethings different with their brains or something? im not sure) so the cleanliness of the water doesn't really matter. I'm pretty sure that's not true, but should I have a filter? she told me not to get one and that I didn't need anything to test the water either

They use a labyrinth organ to breathe from, but they can still breathe through their gills like normal fish if they need/want. Water quality matters because it's not just about the oxygen they use, but it's the bacterias, fungus', chlorines, nitrates/ites, etc etc that come along in the water. Water quality affects all aspects of their health from eyes, to their swim bladder, fins, scales, so forth. You can have a nice, healthy, clean tank and not use a filter just as long as you keep up on the recommended water changes for the size of the tank. It's a choice people make based off of their living style of how much time they can put into the upkeep, etc. Testing supplies are good to have to know how your water is doing. It's not a must if you have smaller homes (such as a 1gal or 2 gal) and doing frequent water changes. But they can come in handy.

3. do bettas like/need airstones or some kind of aeration? I heard they don't like a current but I'm not sure

They don't need it, and most don't like currents. Normally people baffle filters to get as little flow as possible going. Some bettas like to play in the bubbles, but not all of them. It's your own personal choice. If you want them, there are items you can get to limit the flow of air into the tubes as to not have a lot of bubbles.

4. how much should I be feeding them (how many pellets a day)? I have pellets and bloodworms. how often should i give them the bloodworms? if they're frozen can they get parasites from them? how can you tell if they're constipated?

4-6 pellets a day is a good amount. If you can feel them 3-4 times a day, then great, if not, 2 times is fine. Just spread out the pellets (IE 2 in morning, 1 at lunch, 3 in evening or some such). They are piggies and will literally eat themselves to death. So just keep an eye on them and make sure they aren't getting overly bloated by that amount, if so you can lessen it to 3-4 a day. Frozen bloodworms are great, you can feed them daily. Say.. do pellets in morning/lunch (2-3 only) and the worms for dinner. 2-3 worms would be sufficient for them.
If their stomachs get huge and stay that way for over a day, then they may be constipated. If you see that, then fast them for a day or two to let their system catch up. It's actually good to fast them for one day a week anyways.

5. I got 2 new male bettas a couple days ago. I have them in cylinder vases (they're at least a gallon, i'm moving them soon) with nothing in there. One has a bump on it (if anyone can help with that it'd be great), both have fin rot i think. I'm treating them with aquarium salt and stress coat. Both of them are just sitting at the top basically never moving. They do eat at least. Is this normal? I'm going to get them heaters soon but would that have that much of an affect on them right now? I live in California and its been really hot lately (90+ this week). I'll attach pictures of them

They don't like deep tanks.. they need more surface area. Even a one gallon bowl would be a little better. They also need a good amount of plants/hiding places. Out in the open they may become stressed and not feel safe enough to swim around. Get a thermometer at least so you know the temp. You want to aim for 76-82*F.
The AQ salt treatment is 1tsp per 1 gallon, 100% daily water changes, no longer then 10-14 days. If it persists past the 14th day then you can try a fungus medication. Stress coat is fine, and it helps with fin regrowth.

6. Is it good to have gravel or something for good bacteria establish in? I have no clue how to word that right or what it's called but I'm hoping someone will know what I mean

Cycle. For larger tanks, yes. But for smaller tanks, I'd say 1-3 gals, you don't need to since you will be doing more frequent water changes.
Gravel is your own choice. Some use gravel, I personally love the half rounded glass rocks because they make cleaning a lot easier. Some don't even put anything on the bottom.. it's your own personal choice. I would say having something on the bottom is better since they like to scrounge around there looking for fallen food, and less of a chance they will find some poop and play with it. Ick.

edit: just read the sticky about the females and that answered all my questions about that

8. how much salt should i put in per gallon? is there a difference for when they're sick or healthy? do I put it in when they're healthy too?

For healthy fish, no salt. In the long run it can harm them, also if in for a prolonged amount of time they can eventually become immune to the benefits the salt has for them. Why it's normally recommended no longer then 14 days for treatment. It's usually 1 teaspoon per gallon, but in severe cases it can be upped to 3teaspoons/gal.

9. what are the best kind of decorations to get (types that are least likely to hurt the fish or that they like the most)?

Silk plants, tall and/or broad leaved. A cave of sorts.. even if it is just a half burried coffee cup. Plastic plants are ok as long as they aren't "pointy". Their fins are like tissue paper, and if you look at a plant that is spiky, if it looks like it can snag panty hose, then it would snag on them.

10. is it good to put the tanks near each other so they can see each other or should I make it so they can't? i feel bad because they always look so lonely but I know they prefer being alone

You can. Flairing a bit a day makes them a little stronger, and keeps away the boredom. After a while they will calm down and not flair as much. But if you see they are doing it too often, then just slip a piece of paper or something between the tanks to break their concentration for a bit, then take it away later on.

11. should i put real plants in? if so, what kind should i get? can they get diseases from them? and can they live if theres salt in the water?

There are some beginner friendly plants.. but in reality? Best to just start out with plastic until you are comfortable with your fish, and when you get a larger home. Sometimes the plants can have unwanted travelers on them, larvae or snails, etc. Plants and AQ salt don't work out well and not recommended. If you get a 10 gal and divide it someday down the road then I would say look through the forums here and learn about the plants and see what works for you. It's been so long since I've had plants in a tank, I don't remember any of them. =(

Last edited by Myates; 09-21-2011 at 02:01 PM.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 01:49 PM   #6 
Myates

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlotte View Post
i just read one of the stickys (I should have done that first, sorry) and it answered some of my questions. Bloodworms only a couple times a week, I read about the decorations (I'd still like recommendations!) , don't listen to employees, filters aren't necessary and heaters are. I'll get the heaters today (hopefully that explains why they're not being too active).
Freeze dried Bloodworms are treats, 1-2 times a week as long as they are presoaked in tank water prior to feeding them. But frozen you can do daily since they are very nutritious.
Heater, make sure it is one for smaller tanks, usually around 10-15 watts. Keep an eye on the temp if it's a preset heater, they can heat it up too much.
Old 09-21-2011, 01:56 PM   #7 
Myates

Beautiful fish!
Okay, first one is a red Crowntail. I can't really tell by the pics, but is the gold coloring very noticeable on him? Or is it seen in the pics more? And good news, he has NO fin rot! Just a tad skinny.

Second one also a crowntail, looks like he may have been a tail biter, so keep an eye.. also NO fin rot. As for the mass.. hard to tell from the pic. Is it dark grey in color? Is it fuzzy? If you can get a shot with different lighting, it may help.

The third I really love. Looks like either a Delta or a halfmoon.. but he has his fins semi-clamped. Again, NO fin rot, just a problem with tail biting. But also very skinny.

So discontinue use of the salt in number one and number three's tanks. Stress coat will help the fin regrowth. As for the tail biting, they do it either from stress or boredom or heavy fins for the most part.. so probably adding in decorations may curb that bad habit.

The second one.. debating if AQ salt or Epsom is the way to go.. without a little more info or a better look, hard to diagnose =(

To prevent bloating on the two skinny guys, feed no more then 2 frozen bloodworms 2 times a day for about 5 - 7 days, then you can up it. Or use pellets, same amount. You don't want to overload their system too fast, just gradually feeding them a little more over time to where they are getting something in the line of 5-6 pellets a day, or bloodworms.

Last edited by Myates; 09-21-2011 at 02:00 PM.
Old 09-21-2011, 02:55 PM   #8 
Foisair

Here are my answers:

I'm relatively new to owning bettas and so far I haven't had much luck. I have so many questions I figured it'd be easier to ask them all at once instead of starting different threads. Just to clarify a lot of the bettas I've gotten were in bad condition to begin with so it's hard to tell if they died from something I did or if it was bound to happen (pretty sure most of the time it was my fault )
***Donít be too hard on yourself. It got you asking questions so you can learn to be better. I just lost two by making dumb mistakes. It happens to everyone at some point. Unless you have been around aquariums your entire life, there is going to be some form of learning curve.

***From the sounds of it, it is most likely the temperature. Putting cold water in a heated tank will surely cause some amount of shock to a betta. Depending on the amount of shock or even just the betta itself, this shock has a very good chance of being fatal. Some people condition and treat their water the day before and store them in gallon jugs so that they will be room temperature for the change. Keep in mind that sudden change to the water of any kind can cause some shock. (Iím pretty sure thatís what I did to my babies last night. :( )

***Bettas have a labyrinth organ that they use to breath. From what I understand, it allows them to get oxygen from BOTH the water and the surface. So you should be sure that there is air access at the surface and that the quality of the water is maintained. Keeping the water clean will help prevent many illnesses. I believe having a filter is a personal choice with smaller tanks. (Bigger tanks should have them to help maintain their biological cycle.) As far as testing goes, I would be sure to have some way to test your ammonia level no matter the size of tank. As long as there is a living creature in the tank, it will create waste which will release ammonia into the water which in turn will harm your fish if there is too much of it. pH may be another think you may want to monitor but itís only really necessary if the pH of your tap water fluctuates frequently. Bettas can adjust to almost any pH level so long as it remains constant. NitrItes and nitrAtes become important in larger tanks (5+ gal) that are able to maintain that biological cycle.

***I donít believe they do. You are right about the no current thing. Because of their long fins, a strong current will make it hard for them to swim. I would be more concerned with a filter making a current than an airstone though. But then again, I donít have an airstone and they may make stronger currents than Iím aware.

***I feed my betta about 2 pellet in the morning and 2 in the evening. He is on my desk here at work so he fasts over the weekend. The amount of food really depends on the betta. Keep in mind that a bettaís stomach is only about as big as his eye. Itís better to give them smaller meals more often than bigger meals once a day. Fasting them at least one day a week is also good for their digestive systems. Bloodworms should be given sparingly. Think of them more of a treat kind of meal. If fed only bloodworms, a betta can fatten up very fast. I have heard that live mosquito larva can be risky in the way of parasites but that is usually because some people catch wild ones. I would think that cultured worms (both live and frozen) would have that issue but it couldnít hurt to keep an eye out for symptoms if you do choose to go that route. Constipation is usually accompanied by a bloated gut, a lack of pooping and sometimes a lack of appetite. Most will recommend holding off feeding and waiting it out.

***Do you have a thermometer or two you could put in with them? Water is often cooler than the air around it. Do you have air-conditioning in your house? The water might be colder than you think. They are also probably trying to get used to their new surroundings. Some bettas take a few minutes to adjust before they start exploring and are fairly active, while some may take weeks.

***Substrate isnít needed in smaller tanks that wonít really cycle properly. Itís more for looks or anchoring plants (real or fake) and decorations. I think that most tanks end up having something at the bottom as bettas enjoy hiding places (both at the bottom and tops of the tank)

***Iím glad you found that sticky. Theyíve got some good ones on here.
Old 09-21-2011, 02:56 PM   #9 
Foisair

((And the rest: Sorry for the double post. It was too long as one!))

***Salt should only be used for treating a sick betta. If used all the time (even a little bit) it will be less effective for treating an illness. There are two kinds of salt I’ve read to treat different thing. Aquarium salt (used for treating external injuries and finrot) and Epsom salt (used for internal issues such as swim bladder problems). I believe the dosage is 1tsp/gal – 3tsp/gal for both salts depending on how extreme the illness you’re trying to treat.

***Anything that you like looking at and that won’t hurt your betta’s fins. You should have some that go all the way to the top of the water or float so that your betta has surface hiding places. Silk plants are less likely to harm your betta’s fins, however plastic plants are fine too if they pass the stocking/nylon test. The nylon test is simply running a pair of sheer nylons over the edges of the plant. If it snags the nylons, it will most likely hurt your betta. Live plants are also an option. That’s what I have. They are a lot more work and have more requirements though. I think Pewpew did a plant guide thread under the habitats and accessories forum. I would read though that if you think you may be interested.

***I think it should be okay to put the tanks near each other. Try to put lots of hiding places in both though so they can “get away” from each other if they need to. Also, just watch their behavior. If they are flaring all the time and seem stressed, move them.

***Check out Pewpew’s thread. (http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=76428) Type of plants can depend on many different factors (lighting, temperature, substrate etc.). I know new live plants should be quarantined before placing in the tank because snails often hitch a ride on plants but I haven’t heard of bettas getting sick from the actual plants. The water quality will go down if dead leaves are left to decay in the water and that could harm your betta. Some plants will actually melt in salt water. It’s a good rule of thumb to treat a betta that lives in a planted tank in it’s own quarantine tank away from the plants.

I think that's all for now, sorry its so long! I'll probably think of more later. If anyone can answer these or some of them I'd appreciate it so much. I want to provide the best care possible for these little guys

this is the one with the bump

and what kind is this one? he's healthy, I'm not worried about him but the other 2 dont look too good. if anyone knows what kind they are that'd be great too
***He looks like a delta tail to me.
Old 09-21-2011, 03:05 PM   #10 
Myates

+1 ^