Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-21-2011, 03:18 PM   #1 
Sena Hansler

Breeding/Spawn log :)

So, I decided after conditioning everyone (Colors, Madame, and Maine) that I would breed Maine and Madame. I have her in with him, and he has not yet made a move to harm her, but rather, he has showed off to her and brushed against her. She's got her hiding spots, and he's not pestering the heck out of her, but rather has started on his bubble nest! He seems to be a little slow, but hey, he's doing it :)

second picture, is her hiding LOL

I am guessing, that the *hopeful* fry will be reds, blues, blacks, and some may get Madame's mettalic blue/green ^^ plus some random "what the hey you come from?" fry LOL
Attached Images

Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 03:29 PM   #2 
Ritingyou

I'm excited to see what you get from thoes two! I've been looking out for when youd finally post about your spawn starting :)
Ritingyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 03:32 PM   #3 
Sena Hansler

yeah? :p lol I had Spartan and Madame spawn, but since it was his first time he ate the eggs... plus NOW I know he has a tumor ;( and yes, it is getting worse slowly. The scales are raising a bit more. But, he is still very active and happy and I tend to keep him that way 'til the very end :)

So now it is her and Maine. Was going to choose this guy... but... he has yet to show his true colors fully. The once grey, then blue, then black, now mettalic silver/blue streaks are neverending differences each day LOL. plus the green/yellow/offwhite fins of his always change their colors... so decided to go with the pretty tail male :)
Attached Images

Old 09-21-2011, 03:41 PM   #4 
Ritingyou

Maybe he's a marble? I have a little girl that goes from black and white, to gray and white, to sometimes completely white.. Each day she decides to change to one of thoes :)
Old 09-21-2011, 03:44 PM   #5 
Sena Hansler

haha! perhaps? who knows :) he's a new guy. But yeah, I would love to have my little ladys mettalic appear on her babies!!! That would be very interesting. I also found out, my young females, 3/4 are going purple: one a dark purple, and the others light. My one little lady, Rose, is going white bodied with pink fins outlined with black ^^ but they are too young just yet for anything :p

If this spawn turns out (or not) my brother will take me to the city, when I am ready for another spawn. Then I can get CT or HM :p
Old 09-21-2011, 03:51 PM   #6 
Ritingyou

If you get a blue/green mattalic little girl i want her! She'd match drake XD

Hey quick question, are you using a sponge filter in your spawning tank? I know some people use it.. but I didnt last time and ended up loseing all my fry (confirmed this morning actually) so I was wondering if it makes a difference.. hmm..
Old 09-21-2011, 03:56 PM   #7 
Sena Hansler

I will be. I found a way to MAKE one since here there is no chance to buy one.

a double valve... like on the end of air tubing. Cut two air tube pieces, one longer than the other. Attack the bought pump (it's blue, and very common from what I have seen) to the long tube. have a sponge, cut it to size, make a hole halfway through it and put the second tube into the sponge :) use a rock to keep the sponge down in the water. It needs to be at least 1-2 weeks cycled...

What I will be doing to that point is using a turkey baster to get rid of any waste in the bottom of the tank, and putting new healthy aquarium or dechlorinated tap water into the water, when the fry do come around. :) did you do that?

I think, also, I will be putting driftwood in there along with floating plants and potted plants for the fry. so they have infusoria and such :) plus I have a glass collecting algae, and a few jars/cups collecting infusoria on the window sill with plant stuff :p
Old 09-21-2011, 04:16 PM   #8 
Ritingyou

Yeah I did that. Maybe I added to much new water at one time? Hmm..

I would say maybe they didnt get enough food but I actually saw them eating the bbs plus it was loaded with plants so I know there was infusoria. Oh well, I'm debating if I should try again or not. (with the same pair I mean)

If you put the driftwood and plants in, take pics I want to see! What is the algae for? Is that another source of food for the fry?
Old 09-21-2011, 05:01 PM   #9 
Sena Hansler

algae gives food for infusoria :) and did you make sure the water was the same temperature? apparently they can be very problematic if the temperature is not the same.

did you make sure the air above the water was humid and moist? if there is a draft, their labrynth organ can be damaged and they can die. So a tight fitting top with lights work :)

And you know what? try again with them. the spawning worked. See if it will go farther again.
Old 09-21-2011, 09:52 PM   #10 
Ritingyou

Now I didnt know about the draft.. that could have been it. Lesson learned. :) The temp was always 80 so I know it wasnt that.

your infusoria cultures.. how do you know its that? I mean I tried it before but I read that there was always a chance that it wasnt it.. and could actually kill the fry 0_0 so I chickened out about using it..

I love that your teaching me so much ^_^