Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-21-2011, 03:50 PM   #1 
OwnerofSaix

I don't know what to do anymore...

Saix has gone completely blind, so I put him in his one gallon so he can feel his way around better. But he can't find his food, and there's hardly any poo if any at all when I clean the tank out, just uneaten food. He's gotten so skinny, but he's not dying. He's too stubborn to die. I don't know what to do anymore. I hate watching him suffer, but I can't bring myself to kill him... What should I do, if I can do anything?

I don't know if any of this will help, but here:

Housing
What size is your tank? He was in a 2.5 gallon but is now in the 1 gallon.
What temperature is your tank? 75
Does your tank have a filter? No.
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No.
Is your tank heated? Yes.
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None.

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Pellets, flakes, and bloodworms.
How often do you feed your betta fish? Once a day.

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? Now that he's in the 1 gallon, it's whenever his tank gets too dirty, so every few days or so.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Conditioner and Aquarium salt

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? When I first got him he was peach, now he's covered in black splotches and his eyes have turned black and he won't respond to moving objects anymore so I've concluded that he's blind.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? He just lays there most of the time.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? A few months ago one of his eyes turned black and he couldn't see out of it, now it's the other too.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Just a few granules of aquarium salt.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? He had ammonia burn for a while, and possibly fin rot.
How old is your fish (approximately)? I got him in November, and he hasn't grown much.
OwnerofSaix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 03:59 PM   #2 
Foisair

I'm sorry to hear about your blind baby. :( Does he respond to water movement at all? Maybe if you soaked pellet in garlic juice he might be able to smell/sense it? Just an idea. I've never delt with a blind guy personally.
Foisair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 04:03 PM   #3 
OwnerofSaix

Yeah, he reacts when I splash the water and put things in his tank. He can feel that, I guess. I've been thinking about the garlic thing too, but I don't know if he'll be able to find that any better. I don't know whether they can smell or not. :/
Old 09-21-2011, 04:06 PM   #4 
Foisair

It couldn't hurt. You might GENTLY tap the water and see if he comes to investigate. You don't want to scare him, just get his attention. If that works and he comes to the surface, put the garlic pellet right in front of his nose.
Foisair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 04:11 PM   #5 
OwnerofSaix

Yeah I tried that and he swam away. XD He's rather skittish about anything entering his environment.
Old 09-21-2011, 05:37 PM   #6 
Pataflafla

Bettas can smell. Soak his food in garlic and move the bloodworms around. This should help him find his food better.

You might also want to switch to a bare bottom tank if you haven't already, so that if his food sinks, he can find it a little easier that way.

In a 1 gallon you'll want to change his water more. 100% every other day to keep ammonia as low as possible. I think 50% daily might work, but I'm not sure. Also, the garlic will make the water smell rancid, so changing it often will be best for your nose too.
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 05:45 PM   #7 
Myates

As far as feeding, Pata is correct, but with the water changes, you don't want to do too much or you will lower his immunity down for a lot of things. Water can be too clean. 1 50% and 1 100% is highly recommended by many. Or if you feel it isn't enough, 100% every 4 days.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 11:36 PM   #8 
OwnerofSaix

I'll do the garlic thing, and his tank is already bare bottomed.

I usually do 100% every 4 days, and that's working well. I have a liquid ammonia tester, and it tells me that it's fine even after 4 days.
Old 09-24-2011, 09:33 AM   #9 
Silverfang

Just a suggestion since you said he doesn't always eat all of the food. Why not get a turkey baster, you should be able to get one for fairly cheap, that way you can just siphon up any uneaten food. This also works for poo, keeps the ammonia from that from building at least.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 09:40 PM   #10 
OwnerofSaix

Nothing is working, he's still alive but way too skinny... I don't know what I can do for him...