Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-22-2011, 06:04 AM   #11 
Mohan85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gloria View Post
Thank you Mohan85... I conditioned them for a week and a half almost 2. I had Tiny (female) in a jar in the spawning tank with H (male) for 3 days before I let her out. I have 3 live plants and a cave, a heater, thermometer, a half styrofoam cup and bubble wrap in the tank. I have been told I should get almond leaves to place in there but cannot right now as the clost petshop/ aquarium shop is a 3hr drive away.
they don't sell indian almond leaves at petshops, you will have to get that online.. did he make a bubblenest?
Mohan85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 06:05 AM   #12 
Gloria

Bugger. Well thats ok. I'll buy some now then online. Do I have to use it? Or is that more of just an EXTRA helper
Gloria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 06:10 AM   #13 
Mohan85

Quote:
Bugger. Well thats ok. I'll buy some now then online. Do I have to use it? Or is that more of just an EXTRA helper
its more of a extra.. ppl like to use it because it comes from asia.. where bettas are also from.. so its from their natural habitat but oak leaves will work just fine if you have easier access to those....
Old 09-22-2011, 06:12 AM   #14 
Gloria

Yeah I thought that was all it was for, but if it gives them a little more comort, waht the heck. I will try and find oak leaves, but don't know where I'll find it.
Old 09-22-2011, 06:21 AM   #15 
Gloria

So is she right to be left in the tank without being inside a vase/ cup at night and when i go out for a few hours?
Old 09-22-2011, 06:33 AM   #16 
Mohan85

Quote:
So is she right to be left in the tank without being inside a vase/ cup at night and when i go out for a few hours?
as long as he's not nipping and attacking her
Old 09-22-2011, 08:10 AM   #17 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Quote:
Well my male is actually really good, i am suprised, he hasn't bitten at her once, i don't really work so i have been able to watch them all day long and all he is is chase her and every now and then he'll just sit and look at her, but she swims away. They have been in together for 2 days now. Should i be putting the female in a container at night and when i go out and cannot watch them?
They both flirt swim and "follow the leader" during the courtship ritual. Though the female has been bitten, she will not become stressed and lose her vibrant color. If this is happening in your tank, then leave them be.

But if the female loses her color/ become pale or shows horizontal lines, swims away immediately when the male approaches - indicates that the female is not ready to spawn. You should separate them and recondition.
Place the female in a solitary, not in sight of other bettas (a smaller tank/jar would be better because you could easily move it here and there). Show her the male once in a while. If she doesn't respond, immediately remove her. Hours later try flaring her to another female or a mirror. Do this for a few days then show her the flirting male again. Keep doing this until she responds (flirt). Once she responds, you could either put her in the breeding tank with the male or float her for a day or two then release.

IAL and oak leaves are personal preference. They are specially good for CT but HM don't really need them. Don't make the water dark brown. Just make it yellowish or light brown (specially HM). They work as a sedative and natural medicine (....can't think of the right word). So it calms them down a bit. But your male sounds non aggressive/vicious so IMO you don't really need them.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 07:41 PM   #18 
afishpond

I'm sorry yes i can see why.
afishpond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 07:51 PM   #19 
Gloria

Thank you very much... She looks better than when I first got her, she is alot more vibrant in colour and mroe active. She seems to go looking for him and he'll chase he and she'll chase him but sometimes she will swim away fast as when he comes very close to her. I might just watch her further today and maybe take her out tonight and re-condition her again. Thank you.
Old 09-22-2011, 08:05 PM   #20 
afishpond

hey the oak leve not hard to fine just look were ever you see acorn's i have almond leave's didn't help my hm's at all but the oak leave's worked the mix i gave you should be right 1 part oak tea 3 part water , also the ones that breed best are not friends if they are to friendly I always have them do just what you are haveing male get to were he could care less about the whole deal if you have more than one male you may need to trade them out . I've done 8 spawn's now in last 8 week's and know fry's every one has told me the temp was to cold hope that's it ,did 5 last year and all of them were fine ,but I put in cental heat and air this year and now know luck for me wish you best of luck with your spawn , oak leave and live food work's best for me and some tub worms.

Last edited by afishpond; 09-22-2011 at 08:08 PM.
afishpond is offline   Reply With Quote