Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-22-2011, 10:31 PM   #31 
Gloria

Wiccan Wisdom:

My tank size is only a 13L tank (Its the biggest I could get my hands on at the time);
My tank set up, I have a heater and a thermometer. The water is 10cm high (as this is how high I was told to fill it), There is no substrate, There are many places for the female to hide (3 plants and a tree trunk/ tunnel ornament).
I did have a half styrofoam cup in the water but my male made no bubblenest, so after 2days I added a small piece of bubblewrap and within 12hours he started.
The temperature of the water is set at 26DC but the thermometre reads 28DC.
I got the male about 2 weeks before my female. My male was conditioned for about 4weeks, I fed him frozen blood worms 3 twice a day and sometimes i'd give him a pellet or 2 (if he looked hungry). As for my female, once I got her I did the same thing, she was only conditioned for about 2 weeks. Neither of them saw any other fish for the weeks of conditioning. After the 2 weeks I added my male into the breeding tank, after 3 days I added my female in a clear jar and left her there for 2 days (still feeding them both bloodworms).. I think let her out as everytime he swam away she'd go mental and as her Ovipositor was showing. Its now been 3 days since I joined her with him and nothing. He has only just started a bubble nest as of last night, hes a little slow there.
Gloria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 10:35 PM   #32 
Bambi

if the female doesn't have breeding stripes then she's not ready to be out with the male yet.

If your female is eggy place her in a "chimney" or vase or, like i do, float her in a clear cup( i use the ones they sell the bettas in). when she starts to swim nose down, trying to falow the male to the nest, release her.

If after a few more days nothing happens then seperate them and re condition them and start over.

If it isn't, the water she be low(a few inches) because the fry can't swim as soon as they hatch and it makes it easier on the dad.

a warm, dark/private tank should work, the IAL will help but i haven't /needed/ it.

So you have fry foods already? if not i know a site with some cheap BBS eggs and decap BBS.(though i just used egg yolk for a few days and now i crush up pellets into a fine powder..not recommended if you want speedy growth though xD live food is better for that)

also a note: the Ovipositor always shows? or in all the females i've had anyway. so that's not an indication of breeding readyness.

Last edited by Bambi; 09-22-2011 at 10:38 PM.
Bambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 10:40 PM   #33 
Leeniex

13L is only about 3.5 gallons, right? I think that's too small.
Leeniex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 10:41 PM   #34 
Gloria

Bambi:
When I had her in the jar in the breeding tank, she was just going mental, swimming up and down, but only when the male was out of sight.. But she doesn't follow him to the nest now..
The water is low (I t hink) 10cm.
The tank is in a seperate room in the house so it's a bit quiter, we only have blinds but this house is very bright, so that could be a problem, I was told lights were better to have on 24/7..
The only fry food i have is frozen Blood worms, i also have pellets and flake but i was not going to use it. I am not able to get any live food, only frozen or dried.
Old 09-22-2011, 10:43 PM   #35 
Gloria

Leeniex:
Yeah its about 3.5g.. Im not really sure i'll have luck finding anything much bigger. I have a 5g tank but its currently house 3 bettas, a siamese fighter 2 snails and a molly.
I am driving to the closet town with shops tomorrow. I might get a new tank and re-try?
:(
Old 09-22-2011, 10:49 PM   #36 
animallover4lyfe

Your 5 gallon is way overstocked as well
animallover4lyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 10:50 PM   #37 
WiccanWisdom
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gloria View Post
Wiccan Wisdom:

My tank size is only a 13L tank (Its the biggest I could get my hands on at the time);
Ok so like 3ish gallons right? That is way to small! I recommend a 10 gallon tank to breed in. Do you have a growout tank for the fry? You'll need at least a 20 gallon tank to grow them out in...

Quote:
My tank set up, I have a heater and a thermometer. The water is 10cm high (as this is how high I was told to fill it), There is no substrate, There are many places for the female to hide (3 plants and a tree trunk/ tunnel ornament).
That sounds pretty good

Quote:
I did have a half styrofoam cup in the water but my male made no bubblenest, so after 2days I added a small piece of bubblewrap and within 12hours he started.
Also good :)

Quote:
The temperature of the water is set at 26DC but the thermometre reads 28DC.
That's a good temp!

Quote:
I got the male about 2 weeks before my female. My male was conditioned for about 4weeks, I fed him frozen blood worms 3 twice a day and sometimes i'd give him a pellet or 2 (if he looked hungry). As for my female, once I got her I did the same thing, she was only conditioned for about 2 weeks. Neither of them saw any other fish for the weeks of conditioning. After the 2 weeks I added my male into the breeding tank, after 3 days I added my female in a clear jar and left her there for 2 days (still feeding them both bloodworms).. I think let her out as everytime he swam away she'd go mental and as her Ovipositor was showing. Its now been 3 days since I joined her with him and nothing. He has only just started a bubble nest as of last night, hes a little slow there.
Besides the tank size being way to small, it sounds like you've done some research. At this point I would recommend pulling her out and reconditioning them for a week, and getting a bigger tank before you continue. A trick Ive found it letting the female out at night, in the dark right before bed. When they're in the tank together in the dark they can't see or find eachother but they can smell eachother, it will drive them both crazy. when I do this 8 times out of 10 they're spawning when I wake up! It's a trick I learned from a breeder friend of mine!
WiccanWisdom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 10:51 PM   #38 
Gloria

animallover4lyfe:
Really?? oh.. I thought it looked good, but ok.
Old 09-22-2011, 10:52 PM   #39 
WiccanWisdom
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gloria View Post
Bambi:
When I had her in the jar in the breeding tank, she was just going mental, swimming up and down, but only when the male was out of sight.. But she doesn't follow him to the nest now..
The water is low (I t hink) 10cm.
The tank is in a seperate room in the house so it's a bit quiter, we only have blinds but this house is very bright, so that could be a problem, I was told lights were better to have on 24/7..
The only fry food i have is frozen Blood worms, i also have pellets and flake but i was not going to use it. I am not able to get any live food, only frozen or dried.
It will be impossible to raise fry without live food, that's a fact. If you can't get live food cultures, then you'll never be able to raise the fry!
WiccanWisdom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 11:02 PM   #40 
Gloria

WiccomWisdom:
I have heard of people only feeind their fry on frozen food...
crap... another fork in the road. Well i suppose if I go for a VERY long drive, I may be lucky enough to get some live food.
Also, i was going to try making the Infusoria? (the lettuce in water) Is that a good idea?
Are BBS hard to feed fry, will developing them? What do i need?