Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-22-2011, 11:01 PM   #41 
indjo
TFK Moderator

I often use about 4 liter water to spawn (30x30cm about 5-7cm deep). So IMO tank size doesn't matter. They will spawn in a cup of water..... but you'll risk killing the female. BUT you will have to move them to a bigger tank/tub after 2 weeks. And in that 2 weeks you need to do more water changes. ...Almost forgot, if glass tanks are hard to get, you could use plastic tubs. Just make sure they are safe for humans and your bettas will be fine.

You can keep the tank in the dark or light it up - bettas will be able to see. I don't use extra light, I use a normal day-night schedule. I often cover everything during windy weather - very dark. Nor do I use any half cups for nests. I simply cover the top where I want them to nest..... it's easier to control (I mostly use dark plastic tubs)

You have to culture fry food before you spawn - so they'll be ready when needed. If you don't have any cultures, you could try hard boiled egg yolk. Just feed a tiny bit and spread it evenly through out the tank - 2 or 3 times daily. Make sure to change 50% of the water daily.

Infusoria is a good starter but it must be ready before the fry are free swimming. Perhaps you could add some creek/river water to speed up the process.

You CAN NOT feed newly hatched fry frozen food. Not even frozen daphnia because they are too big for the fry. Betta fry are usually picky eaters, unlike other fish.

SO how are the pair acting .... are they both still vibrant? Or have you decided to postpone and separated them.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 11:04 PM   #42 
Bambi

I don't buy hatchable bbs because the set up can be noisy and then tend to cost more.
http://www.kensfish.com/kens-specialty-food.html

Decap Brine shrimp will have plenty of nutrition and be the right size. If you start with this instead of live food you /should/ be fine. But some people have had issues with fry refusing to eat them, i've never had an issue....and the cute bright orange color in their tummies is..well..cute.
Aso as indijo said, Infusoria is a good starter and easy to start up for the most part.

People feed frozen food to larger/older fry, or maybe frozen right after hatching BBS ifyou can find it?

Last edited by Bambi; 09-22-2011 at 11:15 PM.
Bambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 11:24 PM   #43 
Gloria

indjo:

Thank you for that information. That will come in very handy, I am trying to plan today what food I will buy as I am going to do a 3hour drive tomorrow to the aquarium shop and im pretty sure they have BBS live and possibly some other things. Im not sure how ilo go with making my own culture but ill give it ago, sounds fun, maybe...

The pair are going ok I suppose, fairly much the same as the last 3 days, he chases her she swims away, then she'll go up to him and when he spots her she swims off again.. Im thinking i'll seperate them and recondition again. She doesnt have vertical lines just the egg spot is visable.
Gloria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 11:27 PM   #44 
Gloria

Thanx Bambi:
I really don't know about making my own BBS hatchery, but dunno... Im pretty sure there is frozen BBS at the aquarium shop im going to tomorrow, but i wont til i get there on how 'old' it is
Old 09-22-2011, 11:52 PM   #45 
Gloria

Bambi:
Would I be better off getting 1/2lb or 1lb??
Old 09-22-2011, 11:56 PM   #46 
Bambi

Well how oftento you plan on breeding?

A half pound should be fine. I got my decap brine shrimp in a mixed breeders package deal and it was only a sandwhich bag full and it was fine. a little goes a long way.
Old 09-22-2011, 11:59 PM   #47 
Gloria

It depends really. But at this rate maybe 2 times. maybe 3. But it will probably be a far amount of time apart. How long does it last? How do i keep it 'fresh'?
Old 09-23-2011, 12:07 AM   #48 
youlovegnats

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiccanWisdom View Post
It will be impossible to raise fry without live food, that's a fact. If you can't get live food cultures, then you'll never be able to raise the fry!
That is not a fact. It is very possible to raise fry off of frozen foods and dry foods. I have raised 3 batches so far on dry and frozen foods only, and they are doing very well.

Frozen BBS is a great frozen food for young fry weeks 2-8. Egg yolk also is good for the first week. I then feed crushed pellets or diced bloodworms.

Gloria, you mentioned that you had a 10 gal. with how many fish? 6?
I think that's a little over stocked. The minimum space a betta needs is 2 gal.
youlovegnats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 12:07 AM   #49 
Bambi

Store: Dry Cool Place(preferably sealed like in a ziplock bag)
Shelf Life is 12 Months/a year

a half pound should be fine for you then, if only breeding a couple times.

-I'm with youlovegnats aswell, my current spawn has had no live food added by me. egg yolk and now on crushed pellets and hikari first bites soon as i get them.

Last edited by Bambi; 09-23-2011 at 12:12 AM.
Old 09-23-2011, 12:15 AM   #50 
Gloria

youlovegnats:
Thank you.. It is fairly clear that everyone has there own way of doing things. I realise it also comes down to the fish itself as well as my female betta wont eat anything other then Frozen Bloodworms while my male MVT eat only Frozen bloodworms and occassionally pellets and my male VT eats anything and everything...
I already have a great supply of frozen bloodworms, i know the fry cannot eat them for awhile but ive got them, im going to try make some infusoria, get frozen BBS and i will try Bambi's BecapBS and i might even try some egg yolk. (the more variety the better right??)
If i have all of this here i should be fairly covered?!

Bambi:
Thank you, I am going to order some now. Hopefully they ship to Australia..

The next step is to try and work out how much of everything i need to have my butt covered as i cant just go down town and get extras, i have to order online or drive 3hours...