Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-22-2011, 01:17 AM   #1 
hermeh

Unhappy Fin rot treatment?

Hi
I've already read the Betta Care sticky but i don't have the resources to get medications/AQ salt because I'm pretty young and my parents aren't as obsessed with bettas as me. Anyway, my betta has fin rot(I think, because the edges of his fin are grayish and getting thin) and I don't have anything to treat him with, and I can't get anything so what should I do? He seems happy and is building bubble nests every time I change his tank water. By the way, I it might be tail biting but probably not. I'm really freaked out.

Housing
What size is your tank?0.5-1 gallon(i know i'm trying to upgrade but Neptune doesn't seem to care about the size)
What temperature is your tank?70-75(depending n the time of day)
Does your tank have a filter?no
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?no
Is your tank heated?no
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?Betta Aqueon pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish?3-4 a day, in the morning only

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change?Every week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?none (i use bottled/pure water)

PLEASE HELP!! :(

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?no

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?Grayish fin edge (only one fin) and thinner fin
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?Doesn't seem like it. Always builds a bubble nest.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Just now when I was cleaning the water.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Cleaned the water
Does your fish have any history of being ill?no
How old is your fish (approximately)? i got him 5-6 months ago but he is an adult so probably a year old total
hermeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 01:56 AM   #2 
Sakura8

The best thing you can do for Neptune is change 100% of the water every day for at least 2 weeks. The cleaner the water, the less chance there is that he'll get a severe infection. If he gets an infection, then the only way to save him would be expensive meds or AQ salt, which it sounds like your folks might not spring for. After Neptune's tail looks better, change the water in his tank like this: 1 50% and 1 100% every week. This should really help him a lot. Good luck, hermeh!
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 10:50 AM   #3 
hermeh

Thanks. Actually I convinced my mom to get some AQ salt over the weekend an maybe even a bigger tank and water conditioner. Yay. So until then can you help me out on how much AQ salt to put/ what else to do. Thanks so much
Old 09-22-2011, 08:33 PM   #4 
Sakura8

Sure. Do you have the AQ salt now? I can tell you the dosage for his .5g tank is 1/2 tsp. If you get a bigger tank, I'll need to know how many gallons. Along with the salt, pretty much the only other thing is the water changes. Oh, if you can get a new water conditioner, I recommend Seachem Prime or API Stress Coat.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 02:12 AM   #5 
hermeh

Not yet, over the weekend I'll get it.
I'll try to get those.
Old 09-23-2011, 09:29 AM   #6 
Myates

Awww I hope you can get everything you need this weekend. Just remind your mom it's a good way to teach you responsibility, that you can't learn to take care of something without the proper equipment lol. Good luck!
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 12:29 PM   #7 
hermeh

Yep. :) I think I might actually go today because I have time. Thanks for your help.
Old 09-23-2011, 07:09 PM   #8 
hermeh

Ok so i got water conditioner and AQ salt.

I want to start doing the 100% water changes daily with the salt. However, I usually use water from the water store, and it's really pure, and Neptune seems happy with it. How would I get him used to the conditioned water so I can start his treatment? Or should I just start doing it immediately? I'm really worried for him.

Last edited by hermeh; 09-23-2011 at 07:22 PM.
Old 09-23-2011, 07:47 PM   #9 
hermeh

anyone?
I don't want to bump but it's urgent and I'm cleaning the tank right now, and I don't which water to put in :pure water, or dechlorinated tap water.
Old 09-23-2011, 07:56 PM   #10 
Silverfang

I believe the common method for getting them used to a different kind of water is to say use 25% new kind and 75% what he's used to. Next time use 50% of the new kind and 50% of the old kind. Then 75 new and 25 of the old. Then just be able to use straight conditioned, this way it's less of a shock and he can build up his tolerance.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote