Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-09-2011, 11:19 AM   #1 
fightergirl2710

Hopefully a spawn log! *fingers crossed*

Eep! I'm excited! Monday is going to be the day I set up the spawn tank for Zuko and Peaches!
I have microworms ready, I've been conditioning the pair this entire week with live bloodworms. Zuko has been making a lot of "practice nests" lol! And Peaches looks all nice and rounded.
I plan to put in a lot of live plants like wisteria into the tank, so the fry can have infusoria and Peaches can have places to chill out.
Tomorrow I'm buying BBS eggs.. Big hole in the pocket but *hopefully* worth it! :D

I was wondering:
Should I get a snail for the fry tank? As clean up? I'm worried it might try to eat them O.o I can only get these ones with a bright yellow shell, I'm not sure what they're called... Apple snails perhaps?

Will the infusoria from the plants suffice as food along with the MW? I don't want them to starve.. I can always wait longer and get an infusoria culture going...

And will a sponge filter be ok for the fry tank? Since its not cycled, would having a sponge filter make a difference?
Thanks and wishme luck! >w<
fightergirl2710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 11:26 AM   #2 
Amphibianite

From what I have heard Snails help create Infusoria too. Don't think the snail will try and eat the fry personally.
Good luck fighter ^_^
Amphibianite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 11:51 AM   #3 
fightergirl2710

Thanks Amph! You too! :D
Old 09-09-2011, 11:52 AM   #4 
Creat

Snails are great and Amphibianite is right about them helping create and environment for infusoria too. They will only eat dead fry and will scavenge the bottom and any live plants you have for algae. And you would have to cycle the sponge filter to make it have a difference first for a new sponge I just set it up in an existing tank for a few weeks to make sure it has a bacteria colony created on it. Dont want the tank cycling on the fry ;)
And good luck! We are here to help! fry can be very stressful
Creat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 12:04 PM   #5 
fightergirl2710

Ooh cool! I should get a snail then and plop it in there. :D I'll get a small sponge filter and put it in the sorority, so by the time the fry are 2 weeks old, I'll have a sponge filter ready. Does that sound ok?
Yes they can be stressful! They're stressing me out before even being born! XD
I'm going to spawn them in a 5 gallon and later move the fry to a 15.. I hope that's big enough D:
Old 09-09-2011, 12:19 PM   #6 
Creat

Sounds fine :) Should work great and it sounds like your on the right track. And a 15 should be fine if you get to big of a spawn you can always put the super large ones in the 5 to slow their growth and the rest in the 15 gal so they dont get as much growth stunting hormone.
Old 09-09-2011, 12:39 PM   #7 
fightergirl2710

Woohoo! :D Sounds like a plan!
I love this place! So many helpful people! Thank you Creat! *hugs*
Old 09-09-2011, 12:49 PM   #8 
Creat

Ha ha no problem as I see it I can get better (not to mention cheaper) fish coming from here rather then attempting to always import them cause importing is a pain in the arse . Plus I love seeing baby photo's!
Old 09-09-2011, 12:53 PM   #9 
fightergirl2710

True mostly.. Except since I live in India, its not worth it lol! But the baby pictures are totally worth it, yes!!
This first spawn is going to be just for me though, I'll probably get all VTs but I want the babies of both Peaches and Zuko to remember them by lol! Later I'm going to spawn for better bettas :D I already have a blue marble pair planned :3
Old 09-09-2011, 12:57 PM   #10 
Creat

Yeah thats the one down side with this being global it only works with people near me and heck I am allowed to think you live near me XP