Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-22-2011, 09:36 AM   #1 
ksage505

Male CT clamped fins, lethargic, and not eating.

I got a male crowntail Saturday night from walmart. He looked like if he stayed there much longer he wouldn't live. His fins were in pretty bad condition though I do not believe he has fin rot seeing as there are no dark edges. They mostly just looked torn. After having him home for a few days his fins started growing and he seemed very active. I've been doing everyday water changes with stress coat, aqua safe, and aquarium salt. Last night I did a water change and now this morning his fins seem clamped and he has stress lines. Hes also not eating and seems a bit discolored. I have no idea what could be wrong. I haven't been able to test the water as I do not have any test strips currently on hand but there shouldn't be anything wrong with it. I let the water sit for 24 hrs before adding it in and I use aqua safe just in case. Is there anything I should try doing other than just keeping up with everyday water changes with aquarium salt and stress coat?

Housing
What size is your tank? 2.5 gallons
What temperature is your tank? 78
Does your tank have a filter? No
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Tetra betta floating mini pellets and occasional freeze dried blood worms.
How often do you feed your betta fish? 3 pellets morning and night.

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? For the short amount of time I've had him, everyday.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Aquarium salt, aqua safe, and stress coat.

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? No
If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Fins a bit clamped, discolored, and has a horizontal line.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Lethargic.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? This morning.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? He has been getting regular doses of aquarium salt and stress coat.
How old is your fish (approximately)? Not sure, bought him less than a week ago. He is pretty small.
ksage505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 10:19 AM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Make another 100% water change and use double dose dechlorinator and then back off the water change to 50% every other day and see if this will help perk him up....if you will premix the treatment water in a 1gal jug of dechlorinated water it will make the water changes and correct dosage easier...be sure the water temps are pretty close between the new and old water....

Once you hit the 10 day mark with the aquarium salt-start making 50% with fresh dechlorinated water for a few days and then start re-acclimate him back to his display tank and stay on a regular twice weekly water changes on the 2.5gal unfiltered tank of-1-50% and 1-100% to maintain water quality....

Keep us posted.....

Last edited by Oldfishlady; 09-22-2011 at 10:21 AM.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 11:09 AM   #3 
ksage505

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
Make another 100% water change and use double dose dechlorinator and then back off the water change to 50% every other day and see if this will help perk him up....if you will premix the treatment water in a 1gal jug of dechlorinated water it will make the water changes and correct dosage easier...be sure the water temps are pretty close between the new and old water....

Once you hit the 10 day mark with the aquarium salt-start making 50% with fresh dechlorinated water for a few days and then start re-acclimate him back to his display tank and stay on a regular twice weekly water changes on the 2.5gal unfiltered tank of-1-50% and 1-100% to maintain water quality....

Keep us posted.....
Thank you so much! I really hope he will be alright. It does seem as if the water changes are stressing him out seeing as he was perkier the first few days I had him but I was afraid not to do them with his fins in such bad condition. When I change the water I make sure the temperature is the same as it was before. I put him in the cup he came in when I bought him, change the water, wait until the temperature is back to 78, and then float him in his cup for a bit before releasing him back in. I will be sure to update today after his water change.
Old 09-22-2011, 01:17 PM   #4 
ksage505

I did the water change and his stress line is starting to fade! No difference in his clamped fins. I lowered the dose of stress coat and aquarium salt a little this time just in case they're bothering him. He seems to be swimming around a bit more than he was this morning. I tried getting him to eat again in his cup while I changed the water but he still wouldn't. I offered him pellets and bloodworms.